SASS Wire Forum

Backing out of a deal

What can a buyer do when the seller backs out of a deal, after they both agree on the price? Seller decided to sell to a friend for the same price we had agreed to earlier.

What can a buyer do when the seller backs out of a deal, after they both agree on the price? Seller decided to sell to a friend for the same price we had agreed to earlier.

Best thing to do is nothing. It hurts, but this ain't ebay. It has happened to me.

Happened to me a few years back here on a 7 1/2" .44-40 Vaquero. After the digital handshake, the seller decided to sell it locally "because it's less hassle". Not much to do about it.

As stated above, not much to do. Normally on this Wahr, I'd give the benefit of the doubt, and assume there must have been a strange, extraoridnary circumstance involved. However, If there were extroadinary circumstances, I'd also expect the seller to offer something to you, in due consideration. :)

If that was not the case, then note that the individual involved does not honor his/her word - and remember not to deal with them again. I'd even go further and make sure all my friends knew of their lack of integrity if they were considering dealing with said individual. :ph34r:

One's integrity and reputation means something.

Harvey

It happens. When someone backs out of a deal, either buyer or seller, I just chalk it up to something happened. In March, when my wife passed, I had to cancel a deal on another forum. Seller got upset, but when I explained what happened, he understood. What riles me is when the money is sent , then the seller backs out. Then you have a problem.

Here is my opinion a man is only as good as his word. That being said I have had sellers lie lie lie with excuses why they had to back out of a deal after the agreement was made and meant to be honored. People use the internet as an excuse and reason to not have to be honest and dependable as if they were doing something like this in person.

As stated above, not much to do. Normally on this Wahr, I'd give the benefit of the doubt, and assume there must have been a strange, extraoridnary circumstance involved. However, If there were extroadinary circumstances, I'd also expect the seller to offer something to you, in due consideration. :)

If that was not the case, then note that the individual involved does not honor his/her word - and remember not to deal with them again. I'd even go further and make sure all my friends knew of their lack of integrity if they were considering dealing with said individual. :ph34r:

One's integrity and reputation means something.

Harvey

+1 on that, Pard.

Onr thing I have learned is that it's easier to "harness the wind" than to try to control what other people do. The best I can do is to make sure my side of the fence is clean.

People who do stuff like that always get what's coming to them eventually. I can't police the whole world, just take care of myself. Maybe you just weren't meant to get that deal, and a better one is just around the corner, has happened to me.

Onr thing I have learned is that it's easier to "harness the wind" than to try to control what other people do. The best I can do is to make sure my side of the fence is clean.

It is a concept that some struggle with their whole life. But there is a peace that comes with accepting that others will do what they are going to do and it is best to let pass those things you cannot control. Like the serenity prayer says:

...accept the things I cannot change

...courage to change the things I can

...and wisdom to know the difference

Is he a Cowboy shooter? Hell, tell us who it is the lyin' bastard. :angry::lol:

Fillmore

Nothing that can be done. It's an inexpensive lesson that although 99% of the folks you encounter in this game are straight arrows, there's the 1% who are what the young people call posers. Poser: Someone who pretends to be someone/something they're not. In this case, a cowboy practicing the cowboy way.

If no money or merchandise changed hands... just move on.

I've had to back out once when things went badly sideways for me, and I've had buyers back out of a deal with me for one reason or another. It happens. Life goes on.

(Even had one seller get P'd off at me because of a deal we made for a shotgun on a Friday evening, he hadn't received the check and FFL by that SUNDAY morning??! I figured he'd fell into a bottle and gladly let him cancel the deal!)

Have fun, shoot safe,

McC

Sometimes it just happens and just move on and don't deal with them again.

I have made deals and was told the money was on it's way and then 4 weeks later the person ask if i still had the items and he would send me a check if i did.

i just cancelled the transaction and i would not post his name on the wire that is between the two of us and he knows it..

whitelightnin sass 527

Da ya remember when you were a kid and you were going to trade your best truck fer yer best buddies hot rod and the next day he said "no trade!" You just said ok and maybe next time the trade happened and maybe next time you said "no trade". No one is out anything and you just keep on keepin on!

• 2 years later...

Howdy,

Ive had deals fall thru from time to time.

The BEST REVENGE is finding another BETTER DEAL.

If you are not out a pile of cash consider yourself very lucky, really lucky, lucky lucky.

Its a bit of a shock the first time, but after a few not so much.

Ive bought three guns that either would NOT fire or fired only occasionally.

And one had to have parts MADE as they were long out of business.

If this ruins your day, DONT BY USED.

Deals fall thru but I feel Im ahead dealing with pards.

This wire beats ebay all day.

Best

CR

I've backed out of a couple of deals, one I was going to trade my back-up rifle for a couple of pistols, but before Iwas able to "consumate" the deal, my rifle acted up and I decided I better keep the backup. Another something just did not sound right, I was getting my shipping info to my FFL together for the seller, but he seemed WAY more interested in getting my check to him than he did in getting my shipping info. Something just did not smell right, so I cancelled. I think he was a little miffed, but I reckon he will get over it before I get married again!

in all, 99% of my SASS wire transactions have been 100% satisfactory. Item was just as promised, shipping was reasonable. I would much rather buy from a pard on the wire than Gunbroker or one of the other sites.

Talk about diggin up bones ...........

Yep, some topics are dead, but this one was well buried, too.

Good luck, GJ

My mother is fond of saying everything happens for a reason, took me many yr's of life to see this come true, many, many times.. ;)

You lost no $$$ so enjoy that and move on.. ^_^

Spades H.

Archived