SASS Wire Forum

beginner guns

evil dogooder

Well been shooting sass a year now (only seven shoots though) a.d just looked at the guns I've rolled through. Some stayed sone went but I loved them all. From slicked up to stock I've gone through eleven revolvers so far between upgrading and getting enough for my family. I know some say save and buy once but its just sooo much fun getting new toys. So I was wondering do you still have what you started with and do you regret any of the guns over the years

Yes I do have our starter pair. We've been in the game about four years now. We started out by sharing all our hardware. We started with a new pair of NMVs but the grips were too small for Uno's hands. He was able to pick up a pair of OMV Bisleys that fit him better. He preferred a pump shotgun to a double, so he bought a '97. Then he fell into a sweet deal on a Yellowboy so he picked that up. We have had the double and rifle modified to fit me so all is good. We don't have any back-up guns and don't plan to buy any in the near future. No regrets on any of it.

I started shooting this game about 12 years ago and still shoot the same guns I started with

Started in dis game bout 6 or 8 years ago, (I think) and I still have the same pairs of guns I started with.

Got into "Holy Black " and cap & ball right off the git go. And still my my starter pair. They are still being used today.

Had a 97 when I was a young buck and didn't even know it's called a 97. Just shot nice, and I hit what I was aiming at even back then.

And unless something really bad happens, I don't see getting rid of them anytime soon.

Started with a pair of Ruger NMV's, a real Winchester '97, & a Marlin 1894 Cowboy.

These days, my wife uses the pistols & rifle and my daughter uses the '97.

I sold my 92 a few years ago. I still have my starter pistols and shotgun (ASM Dakotas, 45LC and a stevens 311 12 gauge). I shot the pistols for 8 years, put them up 2 years ago. Haven't used the Stevens in a long while.

I dun went back to my starter guns... Kinda

Sold off them shinny rugers so's I could sprnd more time with Remy's!

That there SXS is my ugly gun but I just like the way it feels.

An the 73 from Pioneer is bad to the bone!

I have 1 of the guns I started with, that is a 3 screw Ruger Blackhawk,sold or traded off the Win 94 trapper .45, New Model Blackhawk .45. Stoeger 20 Gauge SxS and the Rossi 92 in .357(wish I had kept that one) Now I'm shooting a pair of 3 screw .357 Blackhawks, a 66 or 73 in .38 and either a Stoeger 12 gauge SxS slicked up by Goatneck Clem or the Ithaca/SKB I just got I think I'm set for now,But you never know... :D

I started in 1992 I think it was with four original model Vaqueros in 45, a Rossi 92 in 357 and a Rossi hammered double in 20g.

I still shoot the same two Vaqueros I chose in the beginning. Still have the other two for back ups that I have never needed. Mostly loan them out to help others get started. Still shooting the same Rossi 92. The 20ga shotgun got changes to a Rossi 12g when the hull plastic changed and would not extract at Winter range one year. Never went back. Wore out 2 which were used to make the third I currently shoot now.

I have other guns. Pump shotguns, cap & ball revolvers, 1860 rifle but my primary pistols and rifle are still the originals I started with.

Even use them as test guns in the shop.

Bought a pair of Rugers, a Marlin, and a TTN to start playin the game, still have them all, don't regret buying them at all. Of those I still use the Rugers every match, but now opt for a slicked up hammerless Baikal and a Codymatic 73 that I just got.

Regret buying a gun? Never. Regret not buying a gun, you bet! Had a kitchen pass several times to buy guns and I opted not to, wish I'd bought them now. Granted, they might have gotten traded off to finance my cowboy guns a few years ago when I started.

Generally I don't sell guns, I can only think of four, an AR I sold to my brother in law, but I have visitation rights, a Glock that I only bought to help out my brother, sold it to another brother, and a .357 and 12 ga pump that I traded for my custom cowboy leather.

There aren't any "beginner guns". There are cheap guns and expensive guns.There are fine guns and junk guns. There areplain guns and fancy guns, but there aren't any beginner guns, just guns that you started with. You don't "move up" to a different gun, you just move on to a new gun. Everytime I see someone tell a new person that such and such would make a good "beginer gun" I cringe. 99% of being successful in CAS is practice, not which gun you are shooting, at least not until you get WAY up there in the upper echelons of shooters.

I started out in the last century with 4 5/8" .45 Blackhawks, one blue, one stainless, a 24" stainless Rossi M92 .45, and a Rossi Overland hammer coach gun. I sold the Blackhawks last year, but still have the other two.

I got VERY carried away with this game, and had to give EVERYTHING a try. :lol: As a result, I've currently got 16 main match rifles, 23 shotguns, and 64 main match revolvers. Buckaroo legal guns would add another 18, and side match guns would make up another 21... and I've cut down somewhat from what it used to be. :P

I started out in the last century with 4 5/8" .45 Blackhawks, one blue, one stainless, a 24" stainless Rossi M92 .45, and a Rossi Overland hammer coach gun. I sold the Blackhawks last year, but still have the other two.

I got VERY carried away with this game, and had to give EVERYTHING a try. :lol: As a result, I've currently got 16 main match rifles, 23 shotguns, and 64 main match revolvers. Buckaroo legal guns would add another 18, and side match guns would make up another 21... and I've cut down somewhat from what it used to be. :P

Holy crap!!! Now that's a sass collection ;)

My brother has the pistols and rifle I first owned. I still have my shotgun. I don't see him getting rid of them anytime soon, unless they come back to me...

My original guns (Ruger Bisleys in 45, a very nice 73 and a Stevens double) went up in a house fire. After a year or two of rebuilding, retiring, divorcing, and getting re-married. I now have a new set of OMV's, a 73, and a bunch of shotguns. And can't wait to get started again. Oh yeah, and a pair of open tops in 38 for back up. ^_^

Lemee see now. Started out with a 4 3/4 inch Uberti "Cattleman" .45 colt, a Winchester 94 trapper in .45 colt, and a 16 guage 97 takedown that had belonged to my Father-in law (Actually belongs to my wife.) Switched to a Ruger old model vaquero that was too big for my stubby fingers, but that's another story. Cattleman and 94 are long gone, 97s still in the safe as a family heirloom. OM vaquero's long gone too. Didn't consider any of them "starter" guns. In fact, the Cattleman was long before I ever heard of SASS. I'm SASS #6332, so that was a long time back.

The O'Meara Himself

I still use the '60 Colt, 16 gauge SXS, and Rossi '92 in .44-40 that I started with in '90. I've since added a '60 Henry rifle, several more percussion revolvers, and an '87 Chinchester. I bought a '73 several years ago, it had a hiccup, so I traded it for a pair of '87's and gave one to my brother. I also bought a '97, and never used it in a match, later traded it for a .22 rifle for my son. My brother gave me an old A. Greener 10 gauge for Christmas a few years ago, I've used it a time or two.

Archived