SASS Wire Forum

Now We Have Lunchbox Police

I find that ironic. Michelle's program is to cut down on fried foods for children. Eat more rabbit food kids, and stay away from the chips and chocolate. Yeah, right, like any nine year old will do that.

Not in a week with three sundays. :lol:

Wonder what would have a happened if they would have seen the spinach dish that St. Mary's served

to the school children in the 1940 era. It had green hard boiled eggs in it. Maybe that is why I don't care for boiled seaweed to this day.

The saving grace was the bakery, across the street from the school, that had fresh donuts all day long.

Mr. Jungerwalter, the owner, belonged to the parish and so we got a good deal on the hot donuts. :)

I must confess that I stiffed the Nuns for my first day at school lunch. Mom was not happy about that. :lol:

The decision was made under consideration of a regulation put in place by the the Division of Child Development and Early Education at the Department of Health and Human Services, which requires all lunches served in pre-kindergarten programs to meet USDA guidelines.

If it's REQUIRED to meet a GUIDELINE, then it's no longer a GUIDELINE, it's a REQUIREMENT.

She can probably get a getter education somewhere else, and the parents could maybe charge West Hoke Elementary School, because it wasn't meeting their guidelines for their daughter's education.

This is such a teeny thing, but add all those teeny things together, and I stand in awe that we are not at war with the US Government. (I just made that list at Langley again)

not one of you seem to understand it is not about lunches, or gun or smoking or anything you choose, it is all about CONTROL and controling the poeple

not one of you seem to understand it is not about lunches, or gun or smoking or anything you choose, it is all about CONTROL and controling the poeple

+1 -- they know what is best for us. :rolleyes:

Funny part is, I lived most of my life realizing that I was way over the line on sanity, but that the world

was big enough to hold it, and we all got along pretty well most of the time. But looking back over the

last decade, I am not sure of that anymore. I seem to be emerging as the sane one, and only sane one in the world, and the slippery slope is getting steeper.

I can not imagine a previous generation having the government tell them that there was a huge

bill in congress, that no body knew what is all in it, and that we needed to pass the bill so that they

could find out what was in it. :blink: WHAT?

Did I somehow manage to wind up on Mars? Is this a bad dream that I will find gone in the morning when I sip my coffee? For some time now I have believed that reason and common sense were in short supply. They always have been. But now, I suspect that sanity is defunct also.

This is not good people.

Funny part is, I lived most of my life realizing that I was way over the line on sanity, but that the world

was big enough to hold it, and we all got along pretty well most of the time. But looking back over the

last decade, I am not sure of that anymore. I seem to be emerging as the sane one, and only sane one in the world, and the slippery slope is getting steeper.

I can not imagine a previous generation having the government tell them that there was a huge

bill in congress, that no body knew what is all in it, and that we needed to pass the bill so that they

could find out what was in it. :blink: WHAT?

Did I somehow manage to wind up on Mars? Is this a bad dream that I will find gone in the morning when I sip my coffee? For some time now I have believed that reason and common sense were in short supply. They always have been. But now, I suspect that sanity is defunct also.

This is not good people.

What makes me nervous is that you make perfect sense to me!!

Let's take a look at this, the lunch the mom packed was a great lunch. If I recall it was a preschool and really preschool children are notorious for being picky eaters! My own children lived off of pizza and mac and cheese for many years and I was told by doctors as long as they are growing no worries maybe supplement with vitamins. I once had a childcare provider that tried to give my 4 year old son an orange, when he wouldn't eat it she pretty much forced him to. Needless to say my children were not in her care after that. Uggg let parents be parents for crying out loud as long as there is no neglect or abuse who cares?

Well, my take is that a lot of the stuff we get is urban ideas over the web. I got an email from an old

school mate, telling me that this celebrity said this and that. Strange part was that the celebrity in

question was on the other side of these issues and had said so on national TV, another great source of information. Of course they wanted me to send this to everybody in my address book, which I do not do, so that we could perpetuate this falsehood. I guess it is no longer fashionable to question things. I understand that we may be in error on occasion and our judgment may have some issues,

but to blindly follow instructions that someone sent to you in an web email is beyond me.

Well, my take is that a lot of the stuff we get is urban ideas over the web. I got an email from an old

school mate, telling me that this celebrity said this and that. Strange part was that the celebrity in

question was on the other side of these issues and had said so on national TV, another great source of information. Of course they wanted me to send this to everybody in my address book, which I do not do, so that we could perpetuate this falsehood. I guess it is no longer fashionable to question things. I understand that we may be in error on occasion and our judgment may have some issues,

but to blindly follow instructions that someone sent to you in an web email is beyond me.

Badger, when I get an e-mail that doesn't pass the "smell test", I check with one or two of the web based fact checkers, and usually am able to de-bunk the damn thing. I then send a reply back to everyone on the original e-mail and chastise the originator for clogging bandwidth, in-boxes and narrow minds which cannot handle the overload and blindly forward this claptrap. I've lost a few acquaintances this way, but I figure the loss isn't mine.

Yeah we do. Thats the reason this was posted...the implications are clear enough.

Badger, when I get an e-mail that doesn't pass the "smell test", I check with one or two of the web based fact checkers, and usually am able to de-bunk the damn thing. I then send a reply back to everyone on the original e-mail and chastise the originator for clogging bandwidth, in-boxes and narrow minds which cannot handle the overload and blindly forward this claptrap. I've lost a few acquaintances this way, but I figure the loss isn't mine.

So that is why I don't get emails from you any more?

:lol:

Seriously, Red, I doubt that you lost anything at all.

That's the way I figured it, Badger! :D

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!! :angry:

+ 1,000

I was spittin' and screamin' the entire time I was reading the article. I almost found it unbelieveable and I'd be go to hell damned before I paid them the required $1.25. I'd charge them for letting the lunch that I packed go to waste!

The decision was made under consideration of a regulation put in place by the the Division of Child Development and Early Education at the Department of Health and Human Services, which requires all lunches served in pre-kindergarten programs to meet USDA guidelines.

If it's REQUIRED to meet a GUIDELINE, then it's no longer a GUIDELINE, it's a REQUIREMENT.

She can probably get a getter education somewhere else, and the parents could maybe charge West Hoke Elementary School, because it wasn't meeting their guidelines for their daughter's education.

This is such a teeny thing, but add all those teeny things together, and I stand in awe that we are not at war with the US Government. (I just made that list at Langley again)

I agree 100%. I'll be proud to be on that list with you.

Folkx, its time to look back and see what a mistake we did by letting this happen, remember to do something in NOV, and try to not let the BIG brother take all of our freedom away, but its not going to stop till we hit bottom................

+1 Shoer, pard, you nailed it right on the head!

I just watched a spot on fox news this morning about this incident. According to the Principal of the school they just check lunches but never take any lunches away but if they are missing something, in this case milk, they just give it to them. He doesn't know what happened so now supposedly a full investigation is going to launched to see what happened.

I guess we can safely assume that our government will require middle schools and high schools provide access to contraception to reduce unwanted teen pregnancies. It is plausible.

It's happening in England...and without parental permission! :angry:

http://www.telegraph...-at-school.html

..and this type of contriception does nothing to prevent STD's.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Okay I tried to stay out of this but I can't stand it anymore. I am the "computer teacher" at an elementary school. ONE of the many things I am responsible for EVERY day is 1st grade lunch duty.

Before I go any further let me make it clear that IF that story is true and someone actually took THAT lunch away from the child it was wrong.

I can't imagine anyone taking that lunch away.

I wish my students were given lunches like that. ....and there is nothing wrong with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

I see first hand what the kids bring to school that the parents call lunch. You would be shocked... Twinkies, Cokes, M&Ms, bag drinks of sugar water.

Those things might be fine if the lunch also included a turkey sandwich and a banana but most often that is all the kid will have in their lunchbox.

You might really believe that a 1st grader wants to have nothing but Ding Dongs and Dr. Pepper for lunch but I see those little faces when they open their lunchbox.

When a child opens their lunch they want to see "My mom or Dad loves me enough to pack nutritional food for me"

Not a conscience thought on their part of course but I am convinced that a child knows instinctively if their parent is an idiot or not.

Nothing but junk food in their lunchbox confirms that to the kid everyday.

The kids that have "good" lunches... sandwiches, fruit, left overs from dinner the night before... "real" food.... they are the envy of the other kids.

Those are the kids who's faces light up when they open their lunchbox because it says "someone loves me"

All of this is to try to get you to understand why the seemingly ridiculous rules are in place. It's for those kids who have nothing but junk food everyday.

I let the kids who brought their lunch get a free milk. They want the milk.

More than once, when I've seen a child's face turn sad when all they have is M&Ms and Coke.... I've paid for their lunch myself. They WANT the chicken nuggets and carrots dipped in ranch dressing.

Those of you who hang out in the Saloon... I would venture to guess that you have enough sense to know that a child needs real food everyday and snacks (junk food) as a treat occationally.

Unfortunately too many children are stuck with parents that don't have as much sense as you do. So someone has to look out for the kids.

On a lighter note...

the first week of school the 1st graders didn't come to the computer lab for class. They only saw me in the cafeteria. The second week of school, when they walked into the computer lab and saw me there they were surprised. One little guy said, "wow, you're our computer teacher too??? I thought you were the boss of lunch!"

Okay I tried to stay out of this but I can't stand it anymore. I am the "computer teacher" at an elementary school. ONE of the many things I am responsible for EVERY day is 1st grade lunch duty.

Before I go any further let me make it clear that IF that story is true and someone actually took THAT lunch away from the child it was wrong.

I can't imagine anyone taking that lunch away.

I wish my students were given lunches like that. ....and there is nothing wrong with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

I see first hand what the kids bring to school that the parents call lunch. You would be shocked... Twinkies, Cokes, M&Ms, bag drinks of sugar water.

Those things might be fine if the lunch also included a turkey sandwich and a banana but most often that is all the kid will have in their lunchbox.

You might really believe that a 1st grader wants to have nothing but Ding Dongs and Dr. Pepper for lunch but I see those little faces when they open their lunchbox.

When a child opens their lunch they want to see "My mom or Dad loves me enough to pack nutritional food for me"

Not a conscience thought on their part of course but I am convinced that a child knows instinctively if their parent is an idiot or not.

Nothing but junk food in their lunchbox confirms that to the kid everyday.

The kids that have "good" lunches... sandwiches, fruit, left overs from dinner the night before... "real" food.... they are the envy of the other kids.

Those are the kids who's faces light up when they open their lunchbox because it says "someone loves me"

All of this is to try to get you to understand why the seemingly ridiculous rules are in place. It's for those kids who have nothing but junk food everyday.

I let the kids who brought their lunch get a free milk. They want the milk.

More than once, when I've seen a child's face turn sad when all they have is M&Ms and Coke.... I've paid for their lunch myself. They WANT the chicken nuggets and carrots dipped in ranch dressing.

Those of you who hang out in the Saloon... I would venture to guess that you have enough sense to know that a child needs real food everyday and snacks (junk food) as a treat occationally.

Unfortunately too many children are stuck with parents that don't have as much sense as you do. So someone has to look out for the kids.

On a lighter note...

the first week of school the 1st graders didn't come to the computer lab for class. They only saw me in the cafeteria. The second week of school, when they walked into the computer lab and saw me there they were surprised. One little guy said, "wow, you're our computer teacher too??? I thought you were the boss of lunch!"

Sounds like the echo of my wife when kids don't show up with necessary supplies...she gave them the materials out of her own pocket. I commend you for your dedication as good teachers are under appreciated and underpaid!

Your point is commendable but in this case it appears the child had an acceptable meal unless it was deficient in amount or in quality. On the other hand I guess the main problem with me is that a government worker dictated what the child should have and rather than make recommendations to the parents a change was dictated...no ordered! Unless a childs health is jeopardized to the point of malnutrition, starvation or extreme neglect it is no ones business what they are given at home or sent to school with! Perhaps callous or unfair but that is life! Personally, I'd rather she have the turkey sandwich than the suspect chicken nuggets but thats not the point.

Lets extend this a step further. Sally Ann has ideas of her own but teacher reprimands her for individual thought outside the realm of whats "acceptable" and initiates hands on efforts to teach her the error of her ways. That is where I think the line is crossed and therefore unacceptable. Perhaps a poor analogy but in my mind a plausible next step. Unfortunately, much of this mind binding is already going on.

We need more teachers like you CL that have the skills and common sense to assess situations and formulate sensible outcomes. The event in North Carolina was neither assessed logically nor was it sensible.

A centralized Command & Control Government is usually very heavy on the Commands, and the Controls.

He never told us that Change was going to be a good thing. His ilk now feel they have a free hand to go

nuts with this sort of thing. Forget Constitutional Rights, just issue an order and your freedoms go away.

T.H. O'Sullivan

Black Mesa Ranch

New Mexico

NO I do not wear a hairnet!

Anyone who has ever met me knows I'm not a hairnet kinda gal.

I'm not actually in the kitchen serving the food.

Archived