SASS Wire Forum

Now We Have Lunchbox Police

CL, that was a good post and I enjoyed reading it.

I'm constantly getting my hackles up over parents who's idea of parenting is "buy 'em shoes and send 'em to school!" :wacko:

I recall a kid who had been in my Cub Scout den... a couple years later his parents were in the principal's office loudly protesting that their kid did NOT need to do homework, 'cuz it was the TEACHER's job to teach him in school - and NOT expect them [the parents] to oversee schoolwork at home. If he was getting poor grades it was the TEACHER's fault... <_<

Yup... he was in jail before he got out of high school. -_-

CL, that was a good post and I enjoyed reading it.

I'm constantly getting my hackles up over parents who's idea of parenting is "buy 'em shoes and send 'em to school!" :wacko:

I recall a kid who had been in my Cub Scout den... a couple years later his parents were in the principal's office loudly protesting that their kid did NOT need to do homework, 'cuz it was the TEACHER's job to teach him in school - and NOT expect them [the parents] to oversee schoolwork at home. If he was getting poor grades it was the TEACHER's fault... <_<

Yup... he was in jail before he got out of high school. -_-

If parents would be parents then teachers could teach reading, spelling, math, etc.

Most people would be shocked how many kids don't know their address or their parents real names.

Some kids don't even know there own real names.

One of the things I'm curious about is, what are the qualifications of this Social Worker? Dietitian, nutritionist, or just someone who read the guidelines and has no common sense?

Barry Sloe

If parents would be parents then teachers could teach reading, spelling, math, etc.

Most people would be shocked how many kids don't know their address or their parents real names.

Some kids don't even know there own real names.

I know.

I still shudder every time I hear some "mom" use the phrase "My baby's father..." :blink:

Family life should be on the endangered species list. :(

[From an old guy who just spent the past two days - and nights - backpacking and camping in the snow with a bunch o' Boy Scouts]

I know.

I still shudder every time I hear some "mom" use the phrase "My baby's father..." :blink:

Family life should be on the endangered species list. :(

[From an old guy who just spent the past two days - and nights - backpacking and camping in the snow with a bunch o' Boy Scouts]

Bless you for taking the time to build a child's self esteem.

I have a sign in my classroom that says...

They may not remember what you said but they will never forget how you made them feel.

I believe the most important thing I teach my students is respect. Respect for themselves and respect for others.

Okay I tried to stay out of this but I can't stand it anymore. I am the "computer teacher" at an elementary school. ONE of the many things I am responsible for EVERY day is 1st grade lunch duty.

<SNIP>

Those of you who hang out in the Saloon... I would venture to guess that you have enough sense to know that a child needs real food everyday and snacks (junk food) as a treat occationally.

Unfortunately too many children are stuck with parents that don't have as much sense as you do. So someone has to look out for the kids.

On a lighter note...

the first week of school the 1st graders didn't come to the computer lab for class. They only saw me in the cafeteria. The second week of school, when they walked into the computer lab and saw me there they were surprised. One little guy said, "wow, you're our computer teacher too??? I thought you were the boss of lunch!"

Ma'am, what you say is true - and it tugs at the heartstrings of all of us who have a lick of compassion in our souls.

When children are malnourished due to negligence or poverty on the part of the parents, or they suffer for lack of warm clothing in the winter,

or any of the many very real inequalities in our lives; it breaks our hearts and we are all (if we have any love in us) driven to aid that child.

When the government usurps authority in any way to 'administer' to the poor, or not so poor, in contravention of the parents wishes, it has become a dictatorial tyranny.

I don't care if it is for the best and most laudible reasons, it is unacceptable. Period. A parent may need to ask for help, may not know to ask for help and have to

be guided to it by church or community, or may reject it for any of a number of reasons. I may not like that, but the cost of freedom is that we have to allow everyone

to be free - even those too poor, undeducated or lacking in our preferred social graces.

I gladly help anyone who asks for it, as I believe charity is a gift from God to me, and one I can and should share with others.

I will not put my will over anothers and force them to accept help, and most assuredly I would never use the implied authority of

being either an adult or as a member of a government agency to have a 4 year old child capitulate to my demands.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and if we allow our government to make it's good intentions our laws and regulations pretty soon you won't even be able

to buy a light bulb that doesn't contain mercury. You'll be buying electric cars that explode randomly, and you won't even be able to get on an airplane without

perverts feeling you up and taking pictures through your clothes. I don't claim to be Nostradamus, but I can see far enough into the future to predict that if we allow

the government to do what is good for us, then the masterminds who decide what is good are going to have a darn good time controlling us.

That has to be the scariest nightmare ever . . . .

Shadow Catcher

Archived