SASS Wire Forum

Barrel length?

FunnyRunner

OK, decided on getting the Beretta Stampede Stainless in 45LC. But, which barrel length do I want? I lean towards the 7 1/2" but do not possess sufficient experience/knowledge as to pro's & con's of the 7 1/2" vs the 5 1/2". It will be used mostly for target/fun shooting. What do those with experience say please? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Do you like Ginger or Maryanne better?

Really a personal preference thing. The longer will give you a longer sight picture, the shorter may balance better for you and will clear leather faster / easier.

I like my 4 & 5/8 rugers, they seem to balance well for me, and the proportions look better to me.

Grizz

Howdy

A 7 1/2" barreled revolver is much handsomer than a 5 1/2" barreled revolver. 5 1/2" just looks boring to me.

My two favorite CAS pistols are a 7 1/2" Colt and a 4 3/4" Colt.

My Colts

I found out a long time ago that with this combination and a traditional style high riding holster, it is difficult to pull a 7 1/2" barreled gun from a strong side holster without getting your elbow tangled in your armpit. So my 7 1/2" Colt rides crossdraw. Easier to pull from across.

If you are interested in speed, either a 4 3/4" or a 5 1/2" will be quicker out of leather. If you want to look good, go with 7 1/2".

Historically, there were more 5 1/2" barreled Colts sold than any other barrel length.

4 3/4 or 4 5/8 is best!! If you need a longer barrel than that use a rifle.

Dang, now I agree! But, the 7-½" will have a 2" longer sight radius than the 5-½" and 2-¾" more than the 4-¾". THAT may be a factor in target shooting.

Howdy

A 7 1/2" barreled revolver is much handsomer than a 5 1/2" barreled revolver. 5 1/2" just looks boring to me.

My two favorite CAS pistols are a 7 1/2" Colt and a 4 3/4" Colt.

My Colts

I found out a long time ago that with this combination and a traditional style high riding holster, it is difficult to pull a 7 1/2" barreled gun from a strong side holster without getting your elbow tangled in your armpit. So my 7 1/2" Colt rides crossdraw. Easier to pull from across.

If you are interested in speed, either a 4 3/4" or a 5 1/2" will be quicker out of leather. If you want to look good, go with 7 1/2".

Historically, there were more 5 1/2" barreled Colts sold than any other barrel length.

There goes a man who know where-of he speaks!

What he said.

My shooters: four .45's for CAS!

I use them in this rig : Paladin with Crossdraw.

I've also been known to use them this way: Alfonso's double rig!

I think the 7 1/2" barrel is the handsomest of the guns, but the 4 3/4 has it's place too.

I'm fixing to run a pair of 7 1/2 inch guns this season in a new El Paso Cheyenne rig with a cross draw for the left side,

but I think I can manage the strong side being a long barreled gun for this - my Shootist rig works well for me on the strong side,

its just not so easy on my off side.

The short guns are cute too, and they make a good second gun set up, and I've even run two short guns: Double short guns!

I find the 5 1/2 inch too much of a compromise, but - everyone else seemed to like them! Look how many they sold.

If it appeals to you - you can make it work. Get what you really like!

Shadow Catcher

I was thinking of going with a 7 1/2" for my weak side cross=draw but I went with a 5 1/2". Now, I'm kinda wishing I had went with the 7 1/2" since I'll never be a speed shooter, I like the looks of the longer revolver.

I will go with 8" bbl when I get C&B revolvers. After fondling one at the dealer I find the added weight/length isn't noticeable when looking down range, through the sights.

Guest diablo slim shootist

3.5 inch Montado Rugers :wub:

We only shoot 12/15 feet -don't need

long barrels-short ones go in and out faster ;)

I like long barrels. Maybe I'm compensating or something, but almost all of my guns have 7 1/2" barrels, except for the ones where they don't make them that long (Schofield, 1911, etc). One of my favorites is my Cimarron Wyatt Earp with a 10" barrel (it makes me look like Kurt Russell - ask the wife).

Part of the reason is that I'm fairly big (6'3", 280 lbs), and I think big guys look downright silly with 4" and 5" holsters hanging off their belts.

But that's just me.

I used to shoot nothing but 5 1/2" but after switching to 4 3/4" I'm hooked. Better balance and quicker outta the holster. Rye

I started with 7.5" pistols and I still like them...however, I shoot duelest and have a short fingered fat palmed hand and managing a gun with the balance forward caused me some trouble. My 12 yr old grandson now shoots these big guns and as he uses a Squaw Grip. He handles them very well. I changed to 4" barreled birdheads and they work much better for me as I can get my thumb higher on the gun and the balance is shifted back towards my hand. WW

For target shooting: 7 1/2"

For looks: 7 1/2"

For CAS: 4 5/8"

I really wanted 7 1/2" barreled .45's when I got started in CAS. My wife and I share guns so we decided to go with the .38's. After handling all three sizes (Vaqueros) we determined that my wife could not draw the 7 1/2" barreled guns so we decided to get the 5 1/2" ones. At the time, the store only had one 5 1/2" gun, but they had a pair of 4 5/8" which is what we bought. I wasn't really happy with settling for the shorter barreled guns (remember, I wanted the 7 1/2"), but now I am glad that it worked out this way. In fact, we are considering buying another pair so we don't have to share and we will go with 4 5/8" .38's again (maybe the SASS Vaqueros this time).

4 5/8...4 3/4...5 1/2...doesn't matter for CAS. All three are good.

If ya ain't shooting CAS, then get whatever. Obviously the 7 1/2 will do better if yer shooting longer distances then what you'll find at a CAS match.

Now ya need to spend some time on the decision on a Beretta...

:FlagAm:

5-1/2", Not too short and not too long, just right.

and then there is this,

...Historically, there were more 5 1/2" barreled Colts sold than any other barrel length.

I like 'em all, even those shorty 7 1/2"ers...

PIC

When shooting C&B's, I definitely prefer 7 1/2", but in cartridge guns, it doesn't really make much difference as I shoot 'em all equally slowly.

OK, decided on getting the Beretta Stampede Stainless in 45LC. But, which barrel length do I want? I lean towards the 7 1/2" but do not possess sufficient experience/knowledge as to pro's & con's of the 7 1/2" vs the 5 1/2". It will be used mostly for target/fun shooting. What do those with experience say please? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I ain't necessarily changin' my response, but am revising it to reflect what should be the ONLY correct answer:

Carry yer carcass out to the cowboy shoot near you... arrive in plenty of time to attend the shooter/safety meeting; either in advance or when you arrive contact the guy (or gal) in charge and say, "Hi, my name is (fill the blank) and I'm kinda interested in playin' this game... but, before I spend what to me is a wad o' money, I'd like to see what works for others..." or words to that effect. You MAY just find yourself shootin' guns and having fun! You may just also get to gain a wealth of experience in the various models and features. And with THAT you can make a informed decision that affects you, and you alone. For what anyone else likes or feels works for them, is just that, their choice.

No offense to the well meanin' pards that have responded so far, but answers to these type questions fall into three categories:

1 - this is what I shoot and works fer me;

2 - this is what I got talked into when I started, maybe I can pawn 'em off on a noobie; and lastly,

3 - what're you going to be doin' with it, have you shopped around a local toy stores... and a bunch of other questions that can constructively help you narrow your choices.

I say the above, not to offend or embarrass, but to point out that this choice you're contemplating is really a complicated series of compromises... grip style, action springs, barrel length and caliber; then there's sights, hammer shape and stock or modified. Trust me on this: the manufacturers wouldn't offer so many choices if there weren't buyers for 'em. And this: there are probably more folks in CAS that have changed their original guns than there are those still using theirs! Some, more'n oncet! (Not me, I'm still using my original pistol, but I do have 3 different rifles)!

So... just why do you want a .45Colt?

Matter of preference and skill level. I've seen some (not many, but some) people shooting longer barrels get pretty close to breaking the 170 when drawing (barrel wants to point backward as the drawing hand rises and moves forward).

I have 5 1/2 barrels on my Colt/USFA/Dakota revolvers, but I also have a pair of 1860 Armys that are longer overall than a 7 1/2 inch Peacemaker. It think whomever said it was Mary Ann/Ginger was right (by the way, I'll take Mary Ann).

Part of the answer lies in why you are interested in this game. My first purchase was an EMF Dakota with a 5 1/2 inch barrel. It went to exactly one shoot with me. It now resides in my bedside table. I was offered a great pair of AWA Peacekeepers in .38 but I had this idea that the original Peacemaker was in .45 Colt. As it turns out, I have two Colt SAA's in .45 Colt with 7 1/2 inch barrels because I like the way they look and think they should be .45's. I also have two Colt SAA's in .44 WCF with black powder frames and 7 1/2 inch barrels because I think they are really cool. Notice I have not said anything about these guns being fast out of the leather or faster to shoot because of lesser recoil. I am in this to play cowboy and to look cool (at least in my own little fantasy world...not in a mirror).

So...personal preference is what it is all about. Speed doesn't count much to me and I like the big boom of the larger calibers. 7 1/2 inches was the "original" barrel length for the SAA and that does matter to me.

For me 4 5/8" work great. I used to have a 5.5" and my wife and I did not like it. For us the shorter barrel balanced better and shot better. I now ordered a pair of Montado's to go even shorter. With my eyesight I see the front sight better on shorter barrels. As you see you need to try them and find what works for you. Any of them can work for SASS.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

I have been shooting 4 5/82 Rugers in .357 for the last 5 years. I also have a 5 1/2 Ruger in .45 but I rarely shoot it. I just purchased a 7 1/2 Cattleman in .38 for the fun of it

I have barrel lengths all over the map.

4-3/4" .45

5-1/2" .45

7-1/2" .45 and .32-20

and of course...

3" and 12" in .44 Special.

I can honestly say that the length of the barrell length doesn't seem to make that much of a difference to me. Now, granted, the 12" is rather slow on the draw, but other than that, I really don't see much of a difference in them. I miss equally well with all of them!

Good luck!

From looking at and collecting Colt SSA used from 1873 to well into the mid 1950s in South Texas and Along the Mexican Border by ranchers, lawmen and those on the other side of the law the 4 3/4 inch barrel seem to be used the most followed by the 7 1/2 inch with most in 45 Colt or 44-40. Pearl grips were popular with lawmen and gunmen, Followed by Ivory grips later. Many Colt SAA are found today that have been cut back to 4 3/4 barrels and even more so with guns coming out of Old Mexico. Many Mexican used guns also will be found with ivory grips with carved snake and eagle on them.

I have noted from talking with some of the older Rangers and Lawmen who carried 7 1/2 barrels during their younger years later change to 4 3/4 inch barrels after the use of motor cars came into use. I never knew anyone who carried a double rig or two guns one on each hip that ever carried two lenghts but rather a pair of 4 3/4 inch or 7 1/2 inch pistols.

When I was younger I did have the chance to meet a few Rangers who carried double guns Like Clint Peoples, Tom Arnold, Lone Wolf Gonzaullas [whom I had the chace to get to know and shoot with], L. H. Purvis {also knew and shot with], Zeno Smith, and several other Rangers and Lawmen who carried a double rig that I got to know and talk with in my younger years. They all had their pistols set up alike with same triggers pulls and sights so that either would shot like the other. The advise they shared with Me in later years would help beyound words and I owe my life to them more than once.

I have both barrel lenghts used during that time in my collection as well as belts and hosters used with the guns. I have found very few percussion pistols that have had their barrels cut and most are the orginal lenght. In collecting, It is wise to look inside the barrel on longer barrels to see it they have been lenghten by welding and this is more common than one would think.

Your Pard, Texas Man

Archived