SASS Wire Forum

How often do you clean your .22 rifles?

Reading an article on target shooting and the fellow states that all he uses is a dry patch and only cleans it after 2000 rounds.

That flies in the face of my training and confidence. What say you?

He's about right.. I may run a patch when I change brands of ammo, or am storing for a long time.. 22lr is a lot different than jacketed hi power center fire..and NEVER run the rod in from the front, always from the chamber, even my marlin 39..My 10-22 has a hole on the rear of the action to run a rod thru. but if I feel some crud has got in to the barrel I'll use a bore snake...

Reading an article on target shooting and the fellow states that all he uses is a dry patch and only cleans it after 2000 rounds.

Hold on and let me get some popcorn... :wacko:

I knew some top benchrest shooters in the military who swore accuracy dropped off a bit after 200 rounds. They were way beyond my type of shooting. I used to clean my old Nylon 66 after every brick. It was plenty accurate on squirrels and rabbits.

Y'all know I'm OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) anyway, but I clean my .22's after each session at the range, or at the longest, after a three-day session shooting ground squirrels, which usually equates to a being just a little shy of two bricks of .22's. I have a real tough time knowing there's a dirty gun in the safe.

Guest Copper Mart

I clean about as often as I shoot. Sometimes it takes a while to get around to it, but they get a regular look at. If I've not shot that particular gun for a while, I'll run a patch through it just to see if the wasps have started to build nests.

Mart...

I clean my guns after each range session nowadaze.

As a kid I left my old Steven's semi-auto away for 6 months,

it had about 500 rounds through in the previous year.

Next time out, it wouldn't cycle - totally jammed with crud :wacko:

.22's are really dirty little rounds in general :P

I am just a girl so I could be wrong, but I clean my guns every time I shoot the. I did it when I fired smokeless and now with BP> My new little 22 Derringer will get the same treatment. Dad taught me to never put a tool away without cleaning it off.. a gun is a tool.. a fun one, but a tool.. lol

Back in high school ('60s) I was on my school's rifle team. Coach flat refused to allow us to clean our rifle's bores but twice every year - beginning and end. Never during the competitive season.

For what it's worth, our team was the top scoring team in the area (San Francisco Bay Area - and yes, times WERE different then!). I was a very close second-highest scoring shooter in the greater Bay Area.

I clean 'em a bit more often now, but surely wish I still had that ol' Model 52~! ^_^

BMC... ...I'm old school. Yes at main match I shoot FCD and my guns get cleaned after every use, but so does Ms. Mary Matilda's guns and she shoots that heathen smokeless powder.

...and yes I clean my .22's after every match as well....

I clean all my guns once a month whether I shoot them or not. To me its a fun job and relaxing. .22's included plus my Garand which I don't shoot very often. I don't shoot black powder and I don't clean after shooting a a rule. I know that they all will be cleaned within 3 weeks anyway. Works for me.

Tascosa

Rimfires are strange animals. Most seem to shoot better fouled. Eventually, accuracy will start to drop off when it gets too dirty. My Savage .17hmr goes about 300 rounds before accuracy starts degrading. After cleaning, it usually shoots poorly until it has had 20-30 rounds through the bore.

I've always been a meticulous gun cleaner. I would clean all of the guns that I shot when I got home. I still clean most of them every time that I shoot, but I've learned to let my precision rifles tell me when they need cleaned.

I am just a girl so I could be wrong, but I clean my guns every time I shoot the. I did it when I fired smokeless and now with BP> My new little 22 Derringer will get the same treatment. Dad taught me to never put a tool away without cleaning it off.. a gun is a tool.. a fun one, but a tool.. lol

#1 :)

I just run a bore snake through after a match. I'll do a complete cleaning after 4 or 5 bricks or once a year which ever is first.

I must admit that the 22 is the one gun I don't clean religiously. Used mostly just for plinking, I shoot it and put it away and only clean it occasionally (rarely).

Am I a bad person? :blush:

Hardly ever but it does depend on the ammo. Guns that get a few hundred or less rounds of the cheap promo ammo by Remington or Winchester get gunked up in a hurry. That cheap dirty stuff will gunk up my Ruger Target model in less than 50 rounds! When using higher quality ammo I don't much worry about it.

Usually a patch soaked in Kroil, let set up for a day, and then shove the crud out the muzzle.

I must admit that the 22 is the one gun I don't clean religiously. Used mostly just for plinking, I shoot it and put it away and only clean it occasionally (rarely).

Probably so, Bob. But we won't ask your wife and your secret is safe with us. :rolleyes:

According to the report I read, the guy said he interviewed one of the top shooters. SHE, yes Deja, she is a girl too, and the lady said that she shot about 2000 to 3000 round before she cleaned the bore with a DRY PATCH. Then she would shoot a brick or so to get it dirty again to shoot for record. Now, being a man, I sometimes think the ladies have some pretty interesting ideas about things, but then that could just be me or being a man. But the writer agreed with her and said that he too would shoot a couple hundred rounds after the dry patch dance. I guess I have another flaw in my character, as I was of the opinion that a dirty gun is a gun in need of attention. But then, my targets show the benifits of that strategy.

Depending on the ammo, I need to clean my Marlin Mod. 60 about every 600 to 800 rounds. Enough crud builds up by then that it doesn't cycle smoothly.

My Mossberg 46B can go about 1500 before it NEEDS to be cleaned.

I'll usually blow out the action and get there with an old toothbrush after every session. Bore gets cleaned about every third trip to the range.

Well, my Model 39 is a little stiff. I have been working on the action and the last go around at the paper it was not a tight as the first time around. I think I need to stone a few pieces, but I can't figure out what to stone. Maybe I should just get stoned and then take it to the range when I sober up.

My plan is to take a brick of ammo to the range and not come home until it is all gone. That should smooth the action out some. One thing I have perceived with the Marlin, is that, when the firing pin gets fouled, the FTF numbers increase. I think maybe some stoning on the sides of that might help, but I am too chicken to do it. I did de-burr the edges of the pin and that seems to have helped. Perhaps if I can find a good polish, then I might polish the pin with my Dremmel.

I still am out in the woods as to what I want to do about cleaning the barrel. It just goes against

my soul to have a dirty bore in the safe.

As far as ammunition goes, I have been shooting a .22 for a lot of years. I do not recall having

any ignition problems as a kid. All of the Winchesters and Remington ammuniton seemed to go

bang when I pulled the trigger. Not so much these days. :wacko:

Pretty much like the rest of my guns anymore, I clean 'em when I get around to it. Used to clean after every time out, but when I started cowboy shooting that kind of went by the wayside. Now I clean 'em when they start actin up, or when I'm really bored. I cleaned my main match guns before the match Saturday, they cycled better, but seemed to have forgotten how to hit targets. I'm sure it was the cleaning, it couldn't have been my fault I had all those misses, could it?

Grizz

Probably so, Bob. But we won't ask your wife and your secret is safe with us. :rolleyes:

According to the report I read, the guy said he interviewed one of the top shooters. SHE, yes Deja, she is a girl too, and the lady said that she shot about 2000 to 3000 round before she cleaned the bore with a DRY PATCH. Then she would shoot a brick or so to get it dirty again to shoot for record. Now, being a man, I sometimes think the ladies have some pretty interesting ideas about things, but then that could just be me or being a man. But the writer agreed with her and said that he too would shoot a couple hundred rounds after the dry patch dance. I guess I have another flaw in my character, as I was of the opinion that a dirty gun is a gun in need of attention. But then, my targets show the benifits of that strategy.

Badger, cycle the lever or fire that rifle about 500 times. The worn shiny spots on the innards will tell you where to polish.

Lot of info here: Rimfires

I have cycled it enough to get shinny spots on the metal, Sam. It still feels gritty on the

bolt where it rides over the hammer on cocking. Also there is a drag where the lever rides over the bolt that holds the shell lifter. I forget the official name of the part.

I might polish the bolt and the hammer some to smooth that out. But I don't think I want to touch the lever until I have a better tool to use and some good polish.

Nice thing about the takedown on the Model 39 is that everything is easy to get to.

You can also clean from the breech rather than the muzzle.

My 1894 is as smooth as glass. Thanks to Silent Sam over in Wenatchee and his help in working out the Marlin Jam.

Thanks Silent Sam.

I wonder how may 22s are sitting in barns around the country that have never been cleaned?

I wonder how may 22s are sitting in barns around the country that have never been cleaned?

Don't tell me that, Bob!

Now I will not be able to sleep at night, counting and worrying about unclean .22 rifles in barns. :unsure:

Yes you are! You must now ship all your .22's to me for safe keeping until you learn your lesson!:angry: Go in the corner after you get them guns to me! Yes I am the .22 Lord of the Saloon! ^_^ Rye

I clean my 17HMR after about every 15 to 20 gophers. Starts fouling a bit then.

I clean my .22 Ruger "Gopher Sniper Rifle" when I miss a gopher.

I clean my .22 Henry Lever about twice a year.

I clean my Ruger Bearcats about twice a year.

Greeenriver

neiner, neiner, neiner!

Utah Bob has a dirty .22.

Now I am wondering if the micro groove barrel on the Marlin has any different cleaning requirements?

My older 39A cycles better and jams less after a good cleaning. Couldn't say how long between cleanings as I don't get much of a chance to shoot it.

I have a nice Mossberg .22 training rifle made for the British for lend lease during WW II. It's a fine target rifle and fun to shoot, but I rarely do, so it's nice and clean. That's the short answer.

Keeping track of how many rounds are fired to determine best accuracy and the number fired where accuracy begins to deteriorate, and thus determine when to clean, is one of several reasons I'll never be a bench rest or other serious precision rifle shooter. I'm not knocking the sport mind you, it's just that I have enough compulsive behaviors to manage without adding that to the mix. Makes my head hurt thinking about it.

I clean when the planets are in alignment and the voices in my head tell me to. :)

Cleaned? .22's need to be cleaned? My mod 52 hated to be cleaned and would spray bullets all over the place for 50-100 rounds after a cleaning. It also liked a warm barrel. When I was shooting 100 yard smallbore matches with it I had to fire four or five rounds at the practice target before it started to really shoot.

Bugs

Hey Badger -

Every time. . .I clean them after use so that I can also inspect them and make sure nothing is broken or failing.

I also like to remove finger oils, water, dust and other crap from around here, plus clean the action and bore for

the next time I want to use it.

Keep em clean and ready to go at all times.

Shadow Catcher

This has been a great thread!!! I used to clean my guns simply because I'm OCD and hate having a dirty gun in the safe. Now I have two reasons to clean my guns regularly. After a typical day at the range where my accuracy "sucks pond water," so to speak, all I have to say is, "Whaddya expect? I just cleaned my guns!!!" :D

Well, Ladies and Gentlemen, we have plowed new ground here today.

In times past it was approporate to say "EVERYBODY HAS A BELLY BUTTON AND AN OPINION."

Now you can say, "EVERYBODY HAS A BELLY BUTTON ,AN OPINION, AND A METHOD OF CLEANING THEIR .22 CALIBER RIFLE."

Well, Ladies and Gentlemen, we have plowed new ground here today.

In times past it was approporate to say "EVERYBODY HAS A BELLY BUTTON AND AN OPINION."

Now you can say, "EVERYBODY HAS A BELLY BUTTON ,AN OPINION, AND A METHOD OF CLEANING THEIR .22 CALIBER RIFLE."

Or a reason not to clean it

Archived