SASS Wire Forum

Maybe it's just me..

Utah Bob #35998

..but I was watching the memorial service in Tucson and had to turn it off. I've been to more memorial services than I care to remember in my lifetime and I've never seen anything quite like that. I thought with all the cheering and hollering I was watching a basketball pep rally or a Tucson Chamber of Congress meeting.

What happened to respect for the fallen? What happened to dignity? Aren't you supposed to concentrate on the departed rather than VIPs and the university?

I guess it's just me but I think if I would have been a family member of one of the victims I would be just a little put off.

Maybe it got better but I just couldn't watch it anymore.

I think there is respect UB...folks are tryin' to cope, hopefully unify, and be stronger because of this. Although. it's too bad events like this and 9/11 get our focus back on being together as Americans..

GG ~ :FlagAm:

It's improving, Bobbie. BHO is giving a fair speech, calling for cooling of the rhetoric. Not a big fan of his, but this one isn't too bad...........Buck :FlagAm:

I hope you're right. I'm right there with Bob. I couldn't watch. We'll have to see about the rhetoric. I'll just let it go for now.

I am with Bob on this one. I thought we had started for the 2012 campaign already. I did not watch it, but my news junkie wife did. I could hear it from the other room. If one did not know the circumstances, it did not sound like a memorial service to me. More like a sporting event or a campaign rally. :FlagAm:

The whole terrible episode is more than just men can understand.

UB,

+1

I believe a bit more decorum for the occasion was called for. I found the cheering and clapping a bit much even though it should have been a celebration of life. The U of A should have made it known to all the students attending it was a Memorial, not a pre-game rally.

Sadly,

CKid

I agree Bob. That was not a Memorial service by any stretch of the imagination. I shut it off too.

I also question having an event like that to begin with. I can't see any reason for it whatsoever. If a member of my family had been killed, I certainly would be grieving in private with family and close friends. Not out in public at what can only be described as a pep rally.

Nothing like that has ever been done in the history of our country, and I hope never happens again.

Mrs. Doc and I turned it off. Cheering and standing ovations at a Memorial Service? His speech would start to move in a good direction, the right words coming out, then... BAM... Campaign mode. His delivery is also not what I would call "comforting." I keep hearing about his oratorical skill, speaking ability, etc... I can say for a fact he is no Ronald Reagan in that regard. I was only a couple of years out of high school when the Challenger exploded, and I can still recall Reagan's words, and the effect of his delivery.

What a pity.

Have to disagree. Yes, some of it was over the top but overall I thought the entire thing set a much needed tone. The dead and wounded were honored, as were those whose actions possibly prevented additional carnage.

I'm not a fan of BHO and disagree with almost everything he says or does. But his speech was, IMHO, very well done. He even, although not as strongly as I'd have hoped, told the idiots who are blaming any one even hinting as being right of center "Cut it out".

Maybe it wasn't the kind of memorial service that some would have liked. But every memorial doesn't have to be sackcloth and ashes. No wailing and rending of garments. No somber eulogies. I've given far too many of those. I thought the entire service was, for the most part, appropriate and respectful. I think it was just what the city of Tucson and the country needed.

kinda figured... dint even watch it.

+1

Have to disagree. Yes, some of it was over the top but overall I thought the entire thing set a much needed tone. The dead and wounded were honored, as were those whose actions possibly prevented additional carnage.

I'm not a fan of BHO and disagree with almost everything he says or does. But his speech was, IMHO, very well done. He even, although not as strongly as I'd have hoped, told the idiots who are blaming any one even hinting as being right of center "Cut it out".

Maybe it wasn't the kind of memorial service that some would have liked. But every memorial doesn't have to be sackcloth and ashes. No wailing and rending of garments. No somber eulogies. I've given far too many of those. I thought the entire service was, for the most part, appropriate and respectful. I think it was just what the city of Tucson and the country needed.

Being one of the largest BHO detractors out there, I agree he ACTUALLY sounded like a leader of the whole country tonight.

Being one of the largest BHO detractors out there, I agree he ACTUALLY sounded like a leader of the whole country tonight.

He could have "sounded like a leader of the whole country" in Jan '09, Feb'09 Mar '09.........even this past Sun., Mon., Tues., but he waited until tonight.

Havta be agreeable with UB here.

Personally, I don't listen to anything that two-bits of buffalo chips has to say anyhow. He don't mean none of it. He's just trying ta' get some points in his favor is all. And I ain't putting any stock in his wife really caring either. AS long as she's got her $400.00 tennis shoes....she's happy.

UB, I agree with you completely.

I did not think that it was not supposed to be a pep ralley.

His message was good, but,

He could have ended the applause & ovations with one simple statement & he chose not too -

dutch

I have to agree with UB on this one. Holder, Napolitano and BO were there to gain points, nothing else. I agree the folks that went above and beyond to help the victims need to be acknowledged, but not there. It was a campaign event, pure and simple, showing disrespect for the victims.

Can't really comment, I didn't even think of watching it. It was going to be all about Politics nothing else.

Remember the Paul Wellstone "memorial" back in 2002..........?

This whole shooting is a terrible event, and certainly a tragedy, but I am trying to imagine how much hoopla there would be if a Republican Member of Congress would have been shot, with other innocent citizens killed. Let's get our feet back on the ground and remember this is a Nation of 308 million people and try to put things into a proper perspective. Any murder is a terrible thing, and you hear of whole families being killed in home invasions, but their loss is only a blip in the news cycle.

The President is certainly a great orator, and this speech was certainly on par with his best campaign barn burners. I just think this whole event has now become a tool for political change, and this needs to be stopped in it's tracks ASAP!

T.H. O'Sullivan

Black Mesa Ranch

New Mexico

:blink:

I did not post this to make any political statement pro or con about the current administration. Just my thoughts on the general tenor of the service from the beginning.

I did not post this to make any political statement pro or con about the current administration. Just my thoughts on the general tenor of the service from the beginning.

of course not...who would've known it would bend that direction :blink:

GG ~ :lol:

My wife and I watched (we are both graduates of the University of Arizona) and we thought it was getting weird right from the start. What's the deal with this pseudo Yaqui Chief, Medicine Man named Carlos Gonzales making constant references to Mexico? It was political right from start. Arizona has a huge population of real Native Americans, but maybe Carlos was available on short notice. :blink:

T.H. O'Sullivan

Black Mesa Ranch

New Mexico

Archived