SASS Wire Forum

A question of style

The Original Bad Bob

Just thinking out loud here, like some opinions. I have one .357 Vaquero, blue, case colored, 4&1/2" barrel, faux ivory Ruger grips. I think it's pretty.

If I buy another for SASS, I have been told to get one exactly the same, a matched pair.

My question is, and I know it's just a matter of style, does anyone not do this?

See, I'm thinking if I bought another one, it would also be a Ruger, probably same barrel length (or maybe a 5&1/2) but maybe different finish (SS) and different grips, probably some kind of pretty wood.

Is this considered tacky or gauche?

It's totally up to you. Some like everything to match, some don't. Nobody will think less of you if you have two different guns.

I doubt if most real Cowboys could even afford two pistols, back in the day. Most just found whatever they could.

I've gone with a 4 3/4 Colt on the right and a 7 1/2 on the left in a crossdraw. I'll never be on top in speed so I figure I'm going for style. Works fine for me.

I started out with two mismatched .44 Rugers because when I bought my first the only thing they were making was the 5 1/2. Didn't come out with the shorter barrell until a year later.

Do what you like. Now if you're going for the top rank a matched pair is probably better.

The new Vaqueros are no longer have case hardened frames, so it won't be an exact match anyways. I would think that as long as they handle similarly, there won't be any negatives in not matching exactly. Get what you want.

If you look at any pictures from the old west, most of the folks that carried two pistols, they ususally were not matching.

Just like me and ROA's, since Ruger don't make them any more you'd have to go fishing in the used market (not fun). So get what you want. For me it's a ROA so it's a fishing I go. Smithy.

One thing I would recommend, that is to me at least very important... if you choose to have action jobs done, send them both at the same time so the gunsmith will have the actions matched. This way you will not notice a difference in one gun and the other when shooting. If you do spring kits, etc.. yourself, put the same in each gun. One with a 6 lb trigger pull and one with a 2 lb trigger pull will not be very user friendly. As far as finish, it's all preference. If you like it, go for it.

WELCOME Aboard.

I'd like to share a problem I had with a pair of stainless Ruger's - the sights.

It was a bear on really bright days.

I've since had the rear sight notch widened and the back of the front sight serrated.

Plus I gave them to my wife - so I no longer have a problem. :blush:

Just a recommendation to shoot a stainless gun under really bright conditions before you buy one. Some people don't have problems and some do.

Not sure matched is all that it is cracked up to be.

Because I am an idiot have have one blued and one stainless OMV, does make it really easy to get the right cylinder back in the proper gun.

I also have a pair of NV that the only difference is the serial number. Those guns feel differnt in my hands, mostly because I am super left handed.

Get what you want and learn to shoot them how you want to shoot them.

Nobody really cares, and if someone does care and they are not either buying your pistols or someone you sleep with, you should not care that they care.

Now go on an be happy mon!!

Just thinking out loud here, like some opinions. I have one .357 Vaquero, blue, case colored, 4&1/2" barrel, faux ivory Ruger grips. I think it's pretty.

If I buy another for SASS, I have been told to get one exactly the same, a matched pair.

My question is, and I know it's just a matter of style, does anyone not do this?

See, I'm thinking if I bought another one, it would also be a Ruger, probably same barrel length (or maybe a 5&1/2) but maybe different finish (SS) and different grips, probably some kind of pretty wood.

As long as you like em it doesn't matter what someone else thinks.

I know a couple of shooters using crossdraw holsters who have one longer barreled pistol and one shorter.

I know a couple who have one blue, one stainless pistol cuz that is what they could find/afford.

I even know one shooter who has a .44 pistol, a .357 pistol and a .45 rifle - cuz thats what he had when he started and sees no reason to change.

The only thing they all have in common is the pistols all "feel" the same as far as trigger pull and hammer pull.

Regards

:unsure:

Gateway Kid

BTW all of my pistols are stainless and I haven't really had any problems seeing the sights. YMMV

Pard ;

While I have More than a few Cowboy guns ,,,,,,,,,, None of them Match !!!!

And if they did I would probley change something so they didn't ......

In one respect my most commonly used guns are simmilar all their triggers break at 1 3/4 pounds ....

The oddball group that gets some limited use including my 1 RNV and my 1858s have triggers that need 3 1/2 pounds to trip ....

Jabez Cowboy

Watched this thread for a couple days...

Thought to myself stay off it... Shooter should shoot what they like... Nobody else will give ya a hassle..

My only thoughts.. and I guess I'm a stickler on this for myself not you...

I'm an older shooter... when I grab one gun and shoot it... I want the other gun I grab to feel the same...

I'll go so far as to say for myself... even look the same... Doesn't mean you have to...

I agree... if ya have work done to one pistol... have it done for both..

I'm not sayin' you have to have a matching pair... ifn' ya don't want to...

Just other things to consider..

I've started with a matched pair of stainless Vaqueros.. still have them.. my wife shoots them..

I then got a pair of blued Vaqueros..

I have all the same work done to both sets... My wife would prefer shooting mine over hers..

When asked why.. she doesn't know.. just has more faith in my pistols.. go figure..

but the mind can make or break your game..

Again.. buy and shoot what ya want..

Rance :unsure:

Thinkin' it's yer business... and just my 2 cents :blink:

Just like me and ROA's, since Ruger don't make them any more you'd have to go fishing in the used market (not fun). So get what you want. For me it's a ROA so it's a fishing I go. Smithy.

One of our local shooters has a pair of ROAs that have been rebored and re barreled to 357. shoots 38 specials in the conversion chambers and round balls in the cap and balls.

I find that I have more handling difficulties with different barrel lengths than different guns. If the barrels are the same length it seems like they come out of the holsters and go back with less fumbling.

Some good ideas. It makes sense to have two guns that match in size, weight, trigger pull, etc. Still, I always said if I got another Vaquero it would be in .45 Colt.

Is there a big dfference in the felt recoil between cowboy loads of .45 Colt and .38 Special?

Some good ideas. It makes sense to have two guns that match in size, weight, trigger pull, etc. Still, I always said if I got another Vaquero it would be in .45 Colt.

Is there a big dfference in the felt recoil between cowboy loads of .45 Colt and .38 Special?

I'm guessing there is a little bit, since one bullet is about twice as big as the other.

It depends on what loads that you are shooting. You can make bunny fart loads in any caliber. It is more of a matter of convenience to have your pistols (and rifle too) all the same caliber. If you are talking about factory ammunition, the .45 would most likely have more felt recoil than the .38.

Opinions about matched actions, trigger pull, etc. are all useful, but I choose to NOT have a matched pair.

1) Common opinion is that folks back then didn't usually, and that rings true as far as I can tell.

2) Different guns are sometimes suitable for different purposes; small/short guns might be useful in towns where going healed is frowned on, whereas big/long guns might be better suited for bending barrels over recalcitrant drunk's heads (don't try this with open tops or conversions).

3) So many guns, so little time.

4) What better excuse to need mis-matched leather?

5) That'd be boring :FlagAm:

But it's all down to personal preference. It's your game, do what you like.

-Chris

Howdy

First time I ever heard it put that way. I guess I am very tacky and gauche. I don't own a single pair of CAS pistols that match. Different brands, finishes, and barrel lengths, you name it.

I suppose perfectly matching pistols are good for those who want to be in the winner's circle. Same with the business about getting them smithed at the same time by the same gunsmith. Personally, I don't really ever expect to be shooting in that rarefied atmosphere.

When I started shooting cowboy the club I was shooting at most of the time only required one pistol. So I bought a nice used 45 Colt Vaquero with a 7 1/2" barrel. Come time to buy a second one I had the chance to buy a perfect match to the first one, or a 5 1/2" Stainless Vaquero. Being of the same opinion that few real cowboys could ever afford two pistols, much less two that matched, I went for the stainless 5 1/2". Been shooting the same way ever since, matched pistols are for gunslingers. Whatever I run into at the time is what works for me.

Regarding two identical Rugers not having the same trigger pull..............SURPRISE! They are production guns, not custom guns. They will vary one to the next. And same with the consecutive serial numbers. They ain't assembled next to each other by the same guy any more, they ain't going to be the same.

P.S. All other things being equal ie same manufacturer and same barrel length, a 45 Colt revolver will be lighter than a 38 Sp revolver. That is because there are smaller holes in the 38. Look at it another way and there is more metal in the 38.

That makes it a little bit difficult to compare recoil between a 38 and a 45. Chances are a 45 cowboy load with a 200-250 grain bullet will have more recoil energy than a 38 cowboy load with a 93-125 grain bullet. Put them both in guns of same manufacturer and same barrel length and it is a good bet the 38 will recoil less. I load Mrs Johnson's 38s with 125 grain bullets and a mild charge of Clays. The recoil is very light. That is why so many top shooters these days are migrating to 38s, because the recoil can be very light for rapid shooting.

But some of us still like a 250 grain bullet in front of a case full of FFG.

Hello the fire,

I started out with two of the same cause I bought a pair to get rolling. Now I have different calibers and different size and styles. Sometimes it is just fun to take two out of the safe and just make sure I have the correct ammo. After that what the heck, it's a lot of fun.

Chelsea

I think I will sell my Ruger NV in .357/.38 and the S&W Airweight and get a pair of Ruger NVs in .45 Colt.

I know the ammo is a bit more expensive than shooting .38 special, but I don't plan to shoot all that much, and it's the more "authentic" caliber, which appeals to me.

Mine are the same caliber but I shoot a 3 5/8 Sheriff's Model and 4/34" New Vaquero.

45 is just more fun for me.

Sometimes I'll throw in a 51 Navy just for the heck of it though. :blush:

I have used My Ruger 7.5" barrel on my strong side and my 4 5/8" barrel on the cross draw.

Some go for speed. I like collecting guns and shooting them. I buy whatever guns I like and try to fit them in the costume. How many times have you looked in a magazine or book and seen that people like John Wesley Hardin or Billy The Kid had this gun......and also a gun like this here. Two different guns....same person.

About how many rounds are fired by each shooter in the average match anyway?

Pistol -- rifle -- shotgun-- ?

And I assume you use regular bird shot in the shotgun?

Six stages = approx 60 pistol @ 2x5 rounds per stage, 60 rifle @ 10 rounds per stage, 24-ish shotgun @ 2-8 rounds per stage.

Shot sizes 7½ or 8.

-Chris

Well I've had a couple of people contact me via PM and tell me that the .38 has become the most popular cartridge to shoot due to ever rising costs... and it got me thinking about my decision.

Man, I feel like a yo-yo.

If ammo costs are a factor for you, you can do some research at midwayusa.com or similar sites; compute the cost of .45s for a year versus .38s, etc.

Or you can think about whether you might like to take up reloading, too (although saving from reloading would also be proportional to each cartridge). You might also find a nearby pard who reloads for folks at very reasonable costs, often where you supply your own brass.

Go to a local match, yak it up with the folks, see what info they might trot out.

FWIW, believe that's the best course of action BEFORE you buy anything, anyway. Even if you theoretically decide on a caliber (for instance), different pistols feel better (balance, weight, length, etc.) than others, and your eventual preferences will be very personal. Your local guys will likely hand you all sorts of guns to try before you buy; let 'em help you.

-Chris

Archived