SASS Wire Forum

Non-approved firearms?

FritoBandito

Hello;

It is possible to take part in SASS shooting events without owning/shooting approved firearms? I have watched video of SASS shooting and it looks like a great deal of fun but I cannot (and likely never will) make the investment in approved firearms. We have a couple of good cowboy action group here locally but I feel uneasy about asking it it's OK to shoot what I have.

The most appropriate, unapproved firearms I own are an IMI Timberwolf pump rifle in .357, a Browning A-15 12 gauge with a 20" barrel and a Mauser Broomhandle pistol in 9mm. I also have an older Colt 1911 Gov't in .45 ACP.

I know I wouldn't be shooting for points or anything. I do have a cowboy hat and boots and some other western garb. Thanks for any input.

Guest diablo slim shootist

the pump is the right caliber but all guns are suppose to be pre 1900 design

if you really want to shoot just show up at a match with 3 boxes of all lead 38s

and a box of Winchester feather lites and some one will let you try out their guns

ill bet -then you will better know what to buy in the future. It wont take long

and you will be purchasing you own guns because this sport is so much fun :)

I doubt if you could shoot during a regular shoot with those guns. However the 1911 would qualify for Wild Bunch. You could probably borrow the rifle and shotgun. A Rossi lever gun and a Stoeger SXS are not real expensive. Once you try it, you'll love it. Check with the local club members first if you decide to buy. That is where you usually get the best deals. BTW, you can also use a single barrel shotgun with an ejector. With practice they can be loaded pretty fast and they can be bought real cheap.

In order to play the game, you need to follow the rules.

If you want to shoot cowboy do what Diablo suggested.

If you showed up at one of our matches we would kindly tell you no but offer to loan you what you need.

To me this condenses to, "I would like to play but do not want to buy the specialized equipment" as opposed to just wanting to check it out. If I misunderstood your wording, please forgive but this would not work with any organized sport that I am aware of. One would not be allowed to climb up on the billiard table with ones golf clubs nor would the Long Range Black Powder shooters go along with someone wanting to play with them using his AR! If you are wanting a one time pop then by all means visit a match or so and someone will most likely try to help you try it once but do not expect much sympathy from the guys if you tell them up front that you plan to shoot regular but do not plan to make the sacrifices that many of them had to make.

If your intent was to eventually get the correct gear most shoots would easily loan you the gear to shoot a couple of matches. If you really never ever plan to buy correct guns, you may get a different reception. I doubt if a club will allow you to shoot the guns you currently have.

Howdy FritoBandito!

And welcome to the fire! As to your weapons, as others have said, they are mostly not legal to shoot at a SASS match. You mention not shooting for "points" or a score. Well, in SASS, everyone is in the hunt. There is no category for someone to shoot for no score. As many have said, just bring ammo and the pards at the shoot will loan you guns to take part. If you find it to your liking, you may want to go ahead and purchase a SASS-legal firearm or two and enjoy the matches. As time goes on, you can build on your gun inventory and outfits. You will always find someone to loan you a shotgun and a rifle. I would suggest buying pistols first as they are the most personal in the way they have been tuned. Some like them box-stock and some like them with 3 oz triggers. Best to have your own as soon as possible to avoid accidental discharges.

And remember, the type of guns we use in SASS are pretty easy to divest oneself of if you find you are not interested in the game after all.

Bystander

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

We too would turn away any non SAS guns, but sure lend you some of ours to shoot. As one Fellow put it; move and you will save $$ on Taxes. That is for sure here in Tennessee: no state income tax, along with much cheaper Real Estate, food, gas, porperty tax, etc. Not to mention Tennessee is a very friendly gun state!

Good luck. Hoss

I didn't think we were that close to April fool's day. This can't be a serious question. Shoot a semi-auto shotgun and a broomhandle at a cowboy match? You don't show up at a golf match with a ping pong paddle. If this is a serious question, pard just show up and people will loan you the proper equipment. SASS members will always make sure you have the right equipment and always have a good time.

Youi really couldn't tell what it's like if you don't shoot SASS guns....

Also, there is already a Frito Bandito SASS member. Just letting you know. Smokin Gator

Yup and our Frito Bandito is well known in SoCal and works in a gunshop for IROT at the Ft. Courage Armory. He would already know all this, so folks don't confuse the real Frito with our SASS guest.

For the guest. Getting out to a shoot with a cowboy hat on will get you a lot of answers and trying out different gear to make some good decisions. If you should be near Norco look up The Cowboys. They have a new shooter class that provides the guns and even the ammo, plus excellent instruction on how to play the game. It is really a popular thing and happens every month weather permitting. Look up where clubs near you shoot on the home page. There are many in California.

I have a 1971 Ford pickup with a six cylinder engine. Do you think they will let me race in a NASCAR race? I really want to! I already gots a helmet.

Won't work, NASCAR don't allow anything with real car parts.....

What part of Calif??

There are great clubs all over the state.

We are located in Central Calif. If you come to my club- you won't even have to bring Ammo. and you will shoot free!

The Club Directory should get you in touch with a local club. Call the Territorial Governer for that club and they will get you set up with loaner guns and leather.

And then go have a great time!!

Yeah and some of the replies you got were pretty dumb...............

Cut our new folks a little slack guys!!

Go to a match, I did, just to watch mind you, and wound up shooting a couple of stages with borrowed guns and ammo given. I think you'll find that cowboys at the clubs are friendly folk willing to help you out even if you're just there to see what it's all about and to see if it's something that maybe you'll want to get into.

I had no intention of getting into it, just wound up going because I got up too late to go check out an IDPA match that was a bit farther away. After all I had a couple of guns that would have worked for IDPA, but no cowboy guns. I still have those guns, but also have a full set of cowboy guns now. And since the matches are on the same day, I still haven't made it to that IDPA match yet LOL. Cowboy shooting is just too much fun.

Grizz

"can''t and likely never will make the investment for approved firearms" is key here.'''

If that's true, yer like me and golf. I'm not gonna invest in all them sticks and fancy shoes, and I don't even own a shirt with a "swoosh" on it and never will, so I guess I will watch golf on tv when I need to fall asleep.

I advise ya to have a good time at whatever it is you enjoy enough to get invested in, and we'll keep on doin what we're doin.

As pointed out.

Most are happy to loan you what you need. Then you could see if ya like it.

Or to help you get started WHILE you are gathering what ya need.

BUT :lol:

If you don't EVER plan on buying your own that is legal????

That could wear thin and old in a hurry. :lol:

I would say go to a club.

See what it is like. Maybe try a few guns.

Then maybe they will let you shoot with loaned guns the next time.

Then if you don't like it enough to go buy legal equipment.

Find something else to do.

Could be after you go to a match and check it out.

You might change you mind about not ever buying legal equipment.

Hello;

It is possible to take part in SASS shooting events without owning/shooting approved firearms? I have watched video of SASS shooting and it looks like a great deal of fun but I cannot (and likely never will) make the investment in approved firearms. We have a couple of good cowboy action group here locally but I feel uneasy about asking it it's OK to shoot what I have.

The most appropriate, unapproved firearms I own are an IMI Timberwolf pump rifle in .357, a Browning A-15 12 gauge with a 20" barrel and a Mauser Broomhandle pistol in 9mm. I also have an older Colt 1911 Gov't in .45 ACP.

I know I wouldn't be shooting for points or anything. I do have a cowboy hat and boots and some other western garb. Thanks for any input.

Hello FB,

I saw that you felt some answers were rude and arrogant. Most, seemed kind and/or offered to loan you guns.

With your comment that you will "likely never" make the investment in approved firearms, you set yourself up. I don't understand how someone can ask to participate when they sound so unwilling to follow the rules. :lol:

Regards,

Allie Mo

Where in California do you live? I can put you in contact with several clubs that would be glad to introduce you to Cowboy Action Shooting and provide the appropriate types of firearms and ammunition used in our matches. The first thing you have learn in this sport is The Wire is not SASS and SASS is not the Wire.

Come out and experience it first hand. You won't be sorry.

Yikes! :lol: I think he asked a legitimate question. This sport ain't cheap. The original poster hasn't been to a match and didn't realize 1) Firearms requirements are strictly enforced and 2) Other folks would be willing to lend him proper irons. He just wanted to join the fun.

Pard, sell them other guns and buy what you need. It may take some time, but you won't regret it.

Come to a match just as you are. We will teach you the game and help you along with the firearms appropriate for the game. This game is a serious infection. Once you start, you can't stop. Come join the fun!

I own all different kinds of firearms. I use the ones appropriate for the particular game. What could it hurt to add some more to your fine collection?

Give it another chance and review the rule book found on the home page.

At our club-We have a category called the Professional's that allows you to use any firearm originally made before 1918.

So on the days we shoot that category- you can use the 1911 and the Mauser. Maybe even the Browning.

I too live in Central California -- on the Central Coast in San Luis Obispo, CA. Your group's "Professional" category sounds extremely interesting. Where is your group located -- in the valley or on the coast? Does your Professional category have written rules by chance?

My simple question really provoked some interesting responses. Some people posted or sent some of the nicest and most helpful inputs (especially the private messages) that I have ever received anywhere on-line. If SASS people are anything like these individuals it would be wonderfult to take part in a SASS event.

On the other hand I was also advised by someone to leave my beloved home state of California so that I could afford to buy new guns (nothing but a cowardly way to take a shot at CA.) Another offered a ludicrous analogy involving a beater pick-up with a six and NASCAR racing and of course there were the misplaced comments about golf clubs and ping pong paddles. Obviously all groups have their share of jerks and some get mighty brave hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet but I just don't want to deal with them when it comes to recreation. If those people are the actual face of SASS I wouldn't waste anymore time checking into it.

Thanks for your help.

I too live in Central California -- on the Central Coast in San Luis Obispo, CA. Your group's "Professional" category sounds extremely interesting. Where is your group located -- in the valley or on the coast? Does your Professional category have written rules by chance?

My simple question really provoked some interesting responses. Some people posted or sent some of the nicest and most helpful inputs (especially the private messages) that I have ever received anywhere on-line. If SASS people are anything like these individuals it would be wonderfult to take part in a SASS event.

On the other hand I was also advised by someone to leave my beloved home state of California so that I could afford to buy new guns (nothing but a cowardly way to take a shot at CA.) Another offered a ludicrous analogy involving a beater pick-up with a six and NASCAR racing. Obviously all groups have their share of jerks and some get mighty brave hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet but I just don't want to deal with them when it comes to recreation.

Thanks for your help.

Pard, I hope you contact Cole Younger and get hooked up with his club. You won't be sorry if you do. However, I'd like to ask that in the future, you change your name on here. One of the "rules of the road" in SASS is that a person's alias is as close to sacred as it gets and you've chosen one that belongs to a friend of mine. So, out of respect to another shooter, please change your name. Thanks.

Irish Red O'Toole

Guest diablo slim shootist

I find it troubling that eventhat he stated that he did not plan on buying

more guns some of you guys gave him such a hard time-i know most

of Ya'll did not plan to buy as many guns as you have now(go look in

your safe and see) when some one goes to their first match they all

want to go get the right toys to play the game.Please try to be a little

more graceful in your answers to Greenhorns-You were one once!

Extra note: this got me thinking -what if each club had a set of rentable

guns for use....hmmmm

Folks play a lot on this wire Fritobandito. Sometimes they insult people, they have me. But a nicer set of folks you won't find anywhere. People will loan you what you need to try out our game. I think some folks were just put off that you wanted to try but didn't think you wanted to invest in the game. If you buy good stuff, it ain't cheap. Neither is golf, fishing or hunting. But you need to understand our clothes, our guns and our matches are unique to our game, and you really can't try it out for what it is with substitutes, legal or not.....

Archived