SASS Wire Forum

Cheap holsters?

Buckshot Frank

I've been getting all of the necessary items together to start participating is SASS. I still need holsters for both my wife and myself. I' went to a match yesterday and asked a lot of advise and reada lot on here. The common advise is to not buy cheap holsters. Sounds good, until I realized that I don't know what qualifies a holster as cheap. I know that the Longhunter holsters aren't cheap, but I'm not willing to spend over $400 on holsters (x2, for the wife too). Are there certain brands that are considered cheap (i.e. Hunter, Ross, Triple K, etc)? Are there certain features that make a holster not-cheap? Are there affordable options that aren't "cheap"? :blush:

I understand about buying quality, I just don't know what quality is...

Stay away from the single layer holsters like Hunter and Triple K. Ross is good, El Paso Saddlery to name a few. Often you can pick up a good used rig, just have to keep your eyes peeled.

Look for a belt the same size as the loop in the holster. Holsters should be somewhat stiff, you don't want it to close up when you take the gun out. Nice wide tops are a must for safe and easy reholstering. The holster should fit your gun snugly. Adjustable tension is nice but not necessary if the holster fits the gun right. Drop, cant striaght and crossdraw are all personal preference. Pretty costs more.

Cheaply made holsters will make you sad real quick. Also, poor quality leather will be hard to sell when you decide to upgrade down the road.

I few less expensive, quality rigs I have experience with:

El Paso Saddlery: take a look at their "#44" rig and their "Rio Grande" rig.

Black Hill Leather: Rudy has a variety of nice rigs for under $300. Give him a call.

Both leather shops hail from the grand Republic of Texas as well!

Pancho

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875
I've been getting all of the necessary items together to start participating is SASS. I still need holsters for both my wife and myself. I' went to a match yesterday and asked a lot of advise and reada lot on here. The common advise is to not buy cheap holsters. Sounds good, until I realized that I don't know what qualifies a holster as cheap. I know that the Longhunter holsters aren't cheap, but I'm not willing to spend over $400 on holsters (x2, for the wife too). Are there certain brands that are considered cheap (i.e. Hunter, Ross, Triple K, etc)? Are there certain features that make a holster not-cheap? Are there affordable options that aren't "cheap"? :blush:

I understand about buying quality, I just don't know what quality is...

Buckshot,

Here's a link that may be what you're looking for in an affordable option.

http://www.texasgunslinger.com/Allrigs.htm

You can get a "Gunslinger" double rig for about $225

I bought a rig from these folks years ago, and it's still holding up fine. When I joined SASS I bought a cross draw holster and then just last year when I stopped using a cross draw I bought another strong side holster for my left side. All from those folks. In comparison to many out there it is definitely inexpensive, but from my experience they're made to last. I have absolutely no complaints, and honestly I wore mine in some pretty rough country long before I joined SASS.

Oh, BTW, they also carry extra long gunbelts if you need it.

I hope this helps.

Merry Christmas!

Paniolo Cowboy

:blush:

Buckshot,

Look for a holster that retains it's shape when the gun is not in it. The leather should be fairly stiff, but with enough flex to hold the gun in place. I like a holster that the gun fits in loosely until the last 1/4'' then fits snug. This holds the gun securely but does not impede the draw. It is hard to explain but you know it when you feel it.

A lined holster would be the best choice. The lining helps stiffen the holster and holds the gun with out grabbing it. An unlined holster will be cheaper but will not be as durable. The rough inner surface will tend to grab the gun and make drawing and reholstering difficult. It will also tend to wear the finish of the gun especially a blued gun. A compromise you might consider would be an unlined rough out holster if it is made of sufficiently thick leather. This style puts the smooth side against the gun so you avoid the grabbing and wear problems and still get the lower price of an unlined holster. This style will have a suede look on the outside.

Hope this helps

Smoke

Guest Dusty Feller, SASS #20010L

The answer is dependent upon your fiscal situation and whether you want to be a competitive player or not; either way you will have fun.

When I started this game, some time ago, I started with some holsters and belts from Cabella's. Yes, they were single layer and did not keep their shape all that well; but I was sort of tapped out by buying my guns.

Cabella's may be $40+- for the belt and less for the holsters. Don't know anymore.

Hey there other folks, we do NOT know this cowboy's situation and I am must offering another option; so don't go all crazy on me.

I kep those Cabella ones until I bought some ones from El Paso and then, finally, had some custom ones made for me.

With the Cabella's, I won a couple of state and at least one regional match; Way back in the day when I was a Duelist and not an Old Fart Duelist/Gunfighter.

Yes, I won more state and regional matches with the El Paso and custom rigs; but that probably had something to do with my practising a lot and when I shot big matches instead of mostly local ones.

So, when all is said and done, check out Cabella's, if you want order a belt and a couple of holsters and try them out at home. But see about their return policy before you put a gun in the holster as you might not like them even a little bit! :blush:

Good luck and welcome to OUR game!!!!

Buckshot Frank, very few of us are still using the gear we started yet. It's a big investment and I usually preach buy once cry once. But I know when I started I didn't even know what I wanted in a holster. Here is a link to what I feel is the best deal going for both quality and price http://knightsleatherproducts.com/StarterRig.html I got to handle their stuff at the convention and was very impressed with the quality of their starter rig. It will last you a long time, most folks a lifetime if well cared for.

There are some quality leather makers out there with very reasonable prices. One is our own Slowhand Bob, you can find him over at the Leather Shop at CASCity. He had several very nice CAS rigs at the SE Regional for a great price. I can personally tell you that Slowhand Bob produces an excellent two-ply leather lined rig at a great price, give him a holler. He made WB rigs for me and Heather, you can PM him here or at the Leather Shop. Good Luck.

WB Rig by Slowhand Bob

Leather Shop

Jefro :blush: Relax-Enjoy

Take a look at Austrailian Stock Saddle Co.

Their leather is inexpensive ,pretty good quality. I got a set up for my oldest boy and he's been using it for about 3 or 4 years now.

Good leather, plain with no decoration, but seem to be well made.

Moose

Try Reddog Leather. Custom made rigs at less than $300, and delivery in less than a month (usually). And Paul is one of the nicests guys you'll ever come across.

He sells on eBay, or send me a PM and I'll give you his email.

EC

Also check around where you are going to start shooting, and see if they have anyone that makes rigs. One of the best ones I have used was made by a member of one of the clubs I belong to. One of the things I got from dealing one on one with him is that my rig is what I wanted not what was offered.

Also keep an eye out in the classified section here as well you will see some good rigs go up for sale every so often.

Used leather goes pretty cheap, so if you aren't in a rush, look around at your local shoots and the classified here. I bought a used Kirkpatrick rig for $150 and it probably retailed at close to $400. That said, I also sold a lightly used Long Hunter rig for $200.

Cheap doesn't usually last, so you end up buying again. There's something to be said about buying right. Talk to anyone who's done this awhile and they may have a boxfull of rigs they no longer use.

Now we are getting somewhere. It sounds like a common theme is:

single layer leather = floppy = cheap

dual layer and lined = stays open = quality

The TG at the match that I went to on Sunday offered to sell me a used pair of holsters at the next match. They are black which I don't really want, but I'll probably buy them anyways just to get me started. So far, I have a 2 3/4" thick brown leather tool belt and a Chestnut colored shotgun slide. I might as well hang some black holsters on there to complete the mis-matched look ;) . My wife wants a black rig anyways, so I can get her a black belt to match the holsters and get myself something different. It is tough having to buy for two...

Buckshot Frank, very few of us are still using the gear we started yet. It's a big investment and I usually preach buy once cry once. But I know when I started I didn't even know what I wanted in a holster. Here is a link to what I feel is the best deal going for both quality and price http://knightsleatherproducts.com/StarterRig.html I got to handle their stuff at the convention and was very impressed with the quality of their starter rig. It will last you a long time, most folks a lifetime if well cared for.

The best bang for the buck withou a doubt...IMHO.

Tombstone Leather (www.knightsleatherproducts.com), knows Cowboy leather! Top quality throughout thier line and that includes their Starter Rigs.

You won't be disappointed and the rig will last!!

Phantom

;)

Howdy, Pards,

In point of fact an unlined holster made from 8-9 oz topgrain cowhide will hold its shape, if properly cased and formed around the gun it is meant to hold. Yes, an unlined holster will probably wear the bluing on a blued gun a bit faster than a lined one. HOWEVER, even a holster lined with topgrain cowhide will contact the gun in about seven places. Where it contacts the gun, a blued gun will show bluing wear eventually. That is the nature of the beast, as bluing is only a few molecules thick layer of oxide (or chemical bluing used on some high alloy guns). So far as the material used for linings is concerned, I use nothing but topgrain cowhide, smooth side to the gun. Forget suede! Even John Bianchi, in his book "Blue Steel and Gun Leather" says the only reason he made holsters lined with suede was because customers demanded it.

How long can a properly-made holster last? I dunno... Last time I heard from him about four years ago my Air Force section OIC was still using the unlined holster and belt I made for his 2nd Gen Colt's Buntline Special in 1968! He takes it out when walking in the woods and fields of Michigan. My own hunting rig doesn't get the use it used to, but it is still going strong and is older than Capt. T's.

As to which makers give you the best value, I'll leave that to others to judge.

Merry Christmas and Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to all! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! ;)

I have to disagree with those who say that cheap is a waste of time and money and to buy quality now.

There is a big difference between paying $175 for a Triple K rig from Cabelas and $375 to $450 for a quality rig. How do you know WHICH quality rig you want? I started with a 3-K Cheyenne holster & .38 cal belt and they worked well for several years. In the intervening time I got to shoot, complete getting guns and costuming AND look over many rigs to decide what suited ME.

I would, however, avoid Oklahoma leather and Hunter, unless you just want something on your guncart to hold your pistols and take the weight off your hips between stages.

Buena suerte y bienvenidos,

eGG

Both Sugah and I use Blackhills Leather rigs, but the link Deuce gave above looks like very nice leather. As low as $159 for a double rig that has shotgun loops built in...is a deal. It took me a bit to figure out that the least expensive rig is the one with the trigger exposed...which is what I would prefer. Add $10 and the conchos make it look like a downright nice rig. Here's a link to a large photo of the rig with the conchos.

Buckleshot, how does 60 bucks for your pick of several double rigs, tooled 10oz leather tickle your fancy? I have bought a couple of buscadaro rigs from them and I have zero complaints

http://www.wholesalecentral.com/sercal0001...amp;catid=73818

The minimum order is $100 ... so how about a scabbard for $23 or a couple of muslin cotton Henley shirts for $9.50?

Betcha you would even get mucho style points wearing one of their sombrero's ... http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/M...eyAmigo-Cut.jpg

Buckleshot, how does 60 bucks for your pick of several double rigs, tooled 10oz leather tickle your fancy? I have bought a couple of buscadaro rigs from them and I have zero complaints

http://www.wholesalecentral.com/sercal0001...amp;catid=73818

The minimum order is $100 ... so how about a scabbard for $23 or a couple of muslin cotton Henley shirts for $9.50?

Betcha you would even get mucho style points wearing one of their sombrero's ... http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/M...eyAmigo-Cut.jpg

+1 If your not sure you are going to keep the first set you buy. Resale doesn't really matter on these because you don't have much invested. I bought 2 to meet the $100 limit. Now I can shoot with brown or black.

I am a bit at odds with the crowd, but I have my reasons. When I started SASS I had an El Paso Saddlery Duke rig, in fact two of them. I used it to start. But I was interested in something different, but wasn't sure of how I wanted it configured. So I got some Oklahoma Saddlery holsters and belts. (and before any one says "Too Much Oil", I have had their rigs for over 5 years and never left a mark on anyones clothes. But my point being is to find out if you like crossdraw, and how much "cant" and how you want it to sit. what kind of belt do you want. I got these rigs to try for fit etc. Then I ordered my rigs from my guy Paul at RedDog Leather in Kentucky. I was able to tell him exactly what I wanted and how I wanted it. (ie shotshell belt, 5 sets of doubles in front, loops for 5 45lc on the left and loops for 5 38/357 on the right.

My leather guy is midrange in price, but ya get a custom rig for the price. I then saved all the other rigs to let friends and folks interested in shooting to use at our matches. The money was not wasted.

If you want to look at some rigs of mine, OLd Top and other friends go to my web pages at : http://sdough.smugmug.com

look in the gallery Art and then the different folders in there and you will see lots of pix.

If you are interested in any info drop me a pm or an emule.

curley

Guest Foothills Drifter

Buckshot,

When i first started shooting quite a few years ago I started out with a cheaper floppy triple K brand rig. I used that rig for about a year maybe a little longer than that. Then I upgraged to a custom made rig. Well at about that time, my brother-in-law started shooting so I gave him my triple K rig and he used it for a long time.

I'm not saying that triple K is great, and they are far from a nice thick custom rig, but I will say that for a gun rig on a budget I was pleased with it.

I wouldnt rely on the rig for several years, but it got me through the initial investment.

Now we are getting somewhere. It sounds like a common theme is:

single layer leather = floppy = cheap

dual layer and lined = stays open = quality

The TG at the match that I went to on Sunday offered to sell me a used pair of holsters at the next match. They are black which I don't really want, but I'll probably buy them anyways just to get me started. So far, I have a 2 3/4" thick brown leather tool belt and a Chestnut colored shotgun slide. I might as well hang some black holsters on there to complete the mis-matched look :FlagAm: . My wife wants a black rig anyways, so I can get her a black belt to match the holsters and get myself something different. It is tough having to buy for two...

I bought a pair of tan holsters used and put them with a wide brown tool belt to make a rig for my grandson it all came togather after a $7.00 bottle of black die from ebay.

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

Deuce,

Thanks for the link. This is great. This will really help out a lot. I'll definitely be passing it along to a few people who want to get started but can't afford to put out a lot of money right now.

Again thanks, and may you and yours have a very Merry Christmas!

:FlagAm:

About the only way you will find well made inexpensive holsters is to make them yourself.

BH

And it's definitely do-able!

My son built his when he was 14 ~ they serve well! :unsure:

Sassparilla's Holsters

If you have the money, and that is the rub, it is a buyers market for non-essentials (which includes leather). I know of no one who has been greatly smiled upon by this economy. Most of our vendors are trying to stay upbeat but those who depend on SASS for a primary living are feeling a pinch. Im sure a few of our biggest sellers are trying to hold the price line as best as possible but you should be able to get pretty good price breaks on good quality leather if you check with the smaller or newer makers who are trying to establish a name for themselves in the leather buisiness. I would never try to stear anyone away from The Kirkpatrick, Bianchi, Mernickle etc, etc lines as these are products tried and proved by decades of experience and many of our top shooters do swear by them as proof to their value. Stop and think, a pard like Red River Ray, Ozark, the Evil Roy Dynasty or so many of our other top shooters are putting more milage on a leather rig in a couple or few years than most will accumulate over a life time of SASS play and this attests to the value of those top brand rigs.

I guess my real point is that if you must operate at a low base line, go see the CAS City guys that Jefro mentioned above. You can find some good leather workers there who are probably selling their wares at well below normal value and some would be happy to negotiate any price that doesnt break their bank. Just tell them what you want, or even ask for help if you are not sure of that, and let them know up front of your absoloute top price. Asking doesnt cost anything and you might be surprised at what you can get for your dollar, even if it is only educational.

+1 on the CASCity site..

Lots of folks over there that can create a wonderful custom rig for you.

I am glad that Trailrider mentioned that 1 ply holsters are not bad if made correctly. The holsters I make are all unlined, and hold up very well.

BUT, the ones I make are not the normal competition type rigs that Kirkpatrick, Bianchi, etc make. If you are wanting a speed rig, spend the extra and buy a good speed rig.

The Triple K brand is probably the better of the 3 low price holsters. I have 1 of theirs that I still use for hunting that is very sturdy, and not over oiled.

The Oklahoma and Hunters were terrible with oil and floppy. I have been trying to sell the Oklahoma holsters for very cheap for quite awhile now, and noone has even looked at them. Not much resale in them.

DM

Hell, cheap holsters is all I've got. Got 'em from places like G. William Davis, Oklahoma Leather, and Wild West Mercantile. All of them have served me well. I'd rather spend the money I've saved by buying cheap holsters on more guns.

I would say about 95% of the Holsters, Rigs I have made are single ply, but just as stated if they are constructed properly and made out of good materials they will maintain there shape and provide years of service.

There is a big difference between cheap and inexpensive!!!

Doc

Starter rig my butt, thats a nice rig! That rig would serve any in this game.

RRR

Archived