SASS Wire Forum

Cheap holsters?

Buckshot Frank

I have been using one set of Mexican loop holsters from River Junction Trade Co. for more than 20 years and they are fine. $39 currently (I think mine wre $20 something when I bought them), I have recommended them to lots of other folks and they have all loved them. The one thing I have to say is that they run just a little big, so the gun rides a little deep in the holster for modern taste but quite authentic for the period. I have likened them to 19th century mail order holsters, the leather is good but they are not quite as fancy as the stuff I have from Rick Bachman etc.

If you want to go REALLY CHEAP . . . . look here at an article from the chronicle. No need to sell 'em when you upgrade, . . . just give 'em away to someone starting out. :FlagAm:

2 holsters and belt for about $ 60 including postage.

I started out my SASS run in Triple K Leather gear mainly due to costs (I had already spent all my money on guns) and I didn't know how I was going to be shooting. Whether a cross draw was in order or dual strong sides or what? This was the first time I had ever strapped on two pistols to my side so I had no idea whatsoever how I was going to be conducting my SASS business at all. I started out one way, changed to another, then another, back to the first, then a third, a fourth, and somewhere in between I finalized my decision with a winning recipe that I was quite happy with. I was able to do this due to the relative inexpensiveness of the Triple K products. Now knowing how I was going to be shooting I placed my order in with Kirkpatrick Leather with one addition. I went with dual strong side holsters but I also opted for the B Western option which dropped the guns an additional two inches lower in the belt making it easier for me to draw (something I was unable to test with my Triple K experiments but I knew it would work). As it turned out, each piece of the Kirkpatrick stuff was 150 each so as a payday rolled around I would buy a belt, then a holster and finally the last holster until I had the trio. I sold the Triple K stuff on GunBroker.com for close to what I paid for it so by the time I was buying the Kirkpatrick stuff I had most of it paid for anyway. Smithy.

One that I have never heard mentioned (maybe there is a reason I don't know) is DeSantis. I have a Desperado rig. Lined belt and holsters. Lists for ~ $300 but can be had for much less if you shop around. Border tooled, heavy hardware and lined belt and holsters.

Staring out, you could get the holsters (under $70) and match a cheaper belt. Look at the Doc Holliday=crossdraw, if you like. NO COMPLAINTS, very well made (if mass produced). Adding conchos is a snap (get the Chicago screwed ones from any leather supply company). The make them well into the 50+" range, to go over coats.

I started shooting very recently and on a tight budget. I bought my first rig from Triple K and I am very happy with it.

I knew from the start that it was a single-ply rig that will eventually wear out, but seeing how I bought it for less than $150 I really don't care. I bought it knowing that it would not be a lifetime rig, which is exactly what I needed because it has given me the freedom to experiment with it and find what works best. Several years down the road, when I am a veteran and understand what I really need in a rig, I will make the investment in a better one.

One piece of advice: If you use a Triple K rig without flared openings, you can bend the leather outwards and tie it down with a shoelace or leather strip so it will shape. The Triple K holsters aren't bad, but they are tight and I came an inch away from a DQ when my pistol failed to seat properly.

-Solo Sam

I started shooting very recently and on a tight budget. I bought my first rig from Triple K and I am very happy with it.

I knew from the start that it was a single-ply rig that will eventually wear out, but seeing how I bought it for less than $150 I really don't care. I bought it knowing that it would not be a lifetime rig, which is exactly what I needed because it has given me the freedom to experiment with it and find what works best. Several years down the road, when I am a veteran and understand what I really need in a rig, I will make the investment in a better one.

One piece of advice: If you use a Triple K rig without flared openings, you can bend the leather outwards and tie it down with a shoelace or leather strip so it will shape. The Triple K holsters aren't bad, but they are tight and I came an inch away from a DQ when my pistol failed to seat properly.

-Solo Sam

Also, try a tennis ball. Will flare it, especially if wet. My wife used Oklahoma leather from cabela's at first. Added some conchos and it looked pretty good.

There's a DeSantis rig in the classifieds as of last night.

OK, looks great fer an old knarly cowboy while not being truly orriginal, makes the I hate period crowd happy, and most makers can tweek it to still be pretty fast as a high ride. Several makers are now producing California Slim Jims in a moderately cut down version, find one you like and ask someone to copy it as a 10oz Ruff Out and perhaps lace the edges. As a style this was never actually around but it sure looks like it should have been. The smooth leather in will offer most of the advantages of a lined holster while the rough texture turned out stands as its own decorative style. A laced main seam will add to the somewhat Renegade look also?? When you add a two inch Plains style belt with a big Bowie, a flask pouch and ball bag, WOW, Hollywood will want you for the new Rooster Cogbern Movie! Seriously, this should be as low cost for top quality as any style you can get made by a good leather worker.

Archived