SASS Wire Forum

Merwin, Hulbert & Co. Order

Remo, SASS #17644

Just got an e-mail from them as they are accepting orders. Of the models offered what would you advise..... Single or DA, barrel length, caliber, blued or nickel (satin or bright)? Website is http://merwinhulbertco.com Thank you for the time.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest diablo slim shootist
Just got an e-mail from them as they are accepting orders. Of the models offered what would you advise..... Single or DA, barrel length, caliber, blued or nickel (satin or bright)? Website is http://merwinhulbertco.com Thank you for the time.
order them all -ill be surprised if you get one .i still think they are skaming the cowboy public :huh:not one prototype

has been seen that i know of! if someone not connected with this company has seen one i would like to hear about it

Well, I've looked at the site and fantasized about what I'd order, so here it is:

4th generation (top strap)

Crested bird's head (aka skull crusher) grip

Single action (so's I could use it in SASS)

Nickel

5 1/2 in. barrel

Scalloped cylinder

It'd look something like the gun at the bottom of this page:

http://www.ocyoung.com/Merwin2.htm

I can always dream.

Well, I've looked at the site and fantasized about what I'd order, so here it is:

4th generation (top strap)

Crested bird's head (aka skull crusher) grip

Single action (so's I could use it in SASS)

Nickel

5 1/2 in. barrel

Scalloped cylinder

I can always dream.

if you send them $12500 bucks it might turn to a nightmare!

They have been at this a couple of years now and the same story,the guns are just around the corner. It was the same sad story with the old Bren Ten,only there were very few guns actually produced,many how ever paid their deposits and never saw gun one. Buyer beware,it has happened before. I hope they actually produce guns ,then I will jump in line but not until then. Adios Sgt. Jake

No address or phone number, I prefer to talk to someone before I give'm a down payment. Where's the shop, where are they being built?

Good Luck guys.

LL'

Maybe we'll see some completed models at the Shot Show....

Merwin, Hulbert & Co.

1195 U.S. Highway 87

Glenrock, WY 82637

or sales@merwinhulbertco.com

FAX: 1-307-436-5688

I handled an original M&H which was used in the Spainsih American War. It was built like a tank. Much heavier than a Colt. I hope this company is the real deal.

LL'

Maybe we'll see some completed models at the Shot Show....

Merwin, Hulbert & Co.

1195 U.S. Highway 87

Glenrock, WY 82637

or sales@merwinhulbertco.com

FAX: 1-307-436-5688

Next time I'm in Glenrock I'll drive by the place.

LL'

They have been at this a couple of years now and the same story,the guns are just around the corner. It was the same sad story with the old Bren Ten ,only there were very few guns actually produced,many how ever paid their deposits and never saw gun one. Buyer beware,it has happened before. I hope they actually produce guns ,then I will jump in line but not until then. Adios Sgt. Jake

Years ago (1988 I think) Sass #1 Judge Roy Bean, Sass #3 R.J.Poteet, and I were going to Rail Head in Williams Az. were talking about the Bren Ten guns. Harper said he owns Serial #1, #2.

So get your orders in early for the Merwin Hulberts, and you could get an early serial number. I waiting until they come out with

38 WCF before ordering.

Big Jake 1001

They have been at this a couple of years now and the same story,the guns are just around the corner. It was the same sad story with the old Bren Ten,only there were very few guns actually produced,many how ever paid their deposits and never saw gun one. Buyer beware,it has happened before. I hope they actually produce guns ,then I will jump in line but not until then. Adios Sgt. Jake

I paid my $300 deposit a few months ago, figuring I'd just blow it, anyway. I've had $300 worth of enjoyment, just out of the anticipation. OTOH, I'm not sending them a final order and payment (~$1200) until something actually hits the streets.

If I do wind up ordering, it'll be one of the open-tops, without any finish; I plan on having it engraved.

Buy an original . . . :D that is what I did when I craved a Winchester lever gun . . . considered all the options . . . Italian . . . Brazilian . . . Brazilian slicked by Nate . . . . bought a Winchester '73 that was made by WINCHESTER before 1899 . . . it has taken time and money to make it shootable . . . but it is a WINCHESTER '73 . . that has "history" in it . . and I learned to be a "Winchester Mechanic" while making it shootable . . . and I'm HAPPY . . . :D

You can also get it RIGHT AWAY if you buy an original, . . . and HAVE IT . . . instead of sitting around dreaming . . . :D

I paid my $300 deposit a few months ago, figuring I'd just blow it, anyway. I've had $300 worth of enjoyment, just out of the anticipation. OTOH, I'm not sending them a final order and payment (~$1200) until something actually hits the streets.

If I do wind up ordering, it'll be one of the open-tops, without any finish; I plan on having it engraved.

Like I said I wish the company all the best and that all the folks that have sent in deposits either get guns or their money. That said I have seen the Bren Ten example in the past as a example of send in your deposit and get in line. Big Jake when I lived out in Ca. many a year ago I shot IPSC with a fellow who had actually received his BT, very well made gun,very fine example of the gun makers art. It's just the majority of folks never got theirs. IIRC the first season or so of the 80's television show Miami Vice,Don Johnson's character used a Bren Ten, some did get produced. I liked the design of it so well that eventually while shooting IPSC I ended up buying a CZ in 41 AE ,still not quite a Bren Ten. Adios Sgt. Jake

order them all -ill be surprised if you get one .i still think they are skaming the cowboy public :huh:not one prototype

has been seen that i know of! if someone not connected with this company has seen one i would like to hear about it

Can you tell me how many gun factories' new product development and tooling departments give you a tour now? Think about what you're saying, showing production prototypes outside the supply chain making it (unless you still believe every gun is made entirely inhouse even though that's never been true for most from English-made locks for Pennsylvannia and Hawken rifles to M4's) is hardly common practice nor does it make sense. We're testing tooling and materials, it's a proven design.

Our lead engineer ran new product development and engineering for U.S. Repeating Arms, as well as factories, for 30 years (Winchesters) so maybe he'll remember your frequent drop bys? Do they have you sign the non-disclosure agreement at the door or do you carry blank ones with you whenever you drop by factories with vague interest in making a consumer purchase maybe someday? We have NDA's with about half of the major gunmakers and make the proof ammunition for many of them for their prototypes and new models...but gosh, they don't ship over prototypes for that so we can bring the neighborhood through and post their casual observations on forums.

The endless referrals to the Bren Ten in the forums by so many, apparently the only gun in history with a waiting list or uneven fulfillment, baffles me as well.

Ever ordered a custom rifle from a gunsmith or small shop? Did you pay the gunsmith long after it was delivered? Was it sitting there on the rack when you first contacted him, mysteriously made to your every specification? If you order anything via catalog or online, or for that matter a car or computer, do you just send a deposit or do you pay at the time you order? Since the Montgomery Ward catalog came out in 1872, it's been cash at time of order.

That's what this is, not something the size of Ruger or S&W pumping out tens of thousands of guns that for some reason was off the radar.

The large frame Merwins were in hard, continual use for 30-50 years all over the world. Use by experts in pitched battles on horseback and foot, in deserts, mountains, jungles, towns. Adopted by more city police forces in the 1870's-1890's than any other make of cartridge revolver up through NYPD along with veteran lawmen in hot places such as Pat Garrett, Bud Ledbetter, Bass Reeves, maybe Tilghman, Wyatt Earp, Frank Hamer, Bass Outlaw, Bob Dalton, UPRR Special Agents, Pinkertons, etc.

who'd used many makes and models over the decades. Gun designs that gunfight veterans expecting more of the same buy and carry impress me a lot.

The design passed the U.S. Army Ordnance Dept's field trials 4 times (the same testing processes that failed Mausers, Lees, Savage 1899, Winchester lever and bolt guns, Spencers, Sharps, etc.). They were adopted by the Spanish Army when they still had a worldwide empire in near constant revolt and were heavily used by the Mexican Army up through the Presidential Guard detail.

Yet skepticism remains about the design because it's not a Colt SAA 1873 and the assumption some sort of public testing...hours on YouTube I guess for design prototypes is required. Yet if someone you don't know and of unknown expertise said they'd handled an internal tooling or testing prototype, that would be more credible than someone inside the company, that would be credible to you...although in fact the bar always moves until it's "well after tens of thousands have been out in use for many decades, then it might be okay."

Gun magazines don't review prototypes, Consumer Reports doesn't either, it's production models well into the production cycle that get tested and there's a long string of very savvy gun reviewers, including master gunsmiths, who've volunteered to do the Merwin reviews and are spending their own hard-earned money on them.

The Merwins are in production, the website is out of date and just about to be replaced, the catalog is current and available on request for free.

:D You sound like a pessimist like me. I expect the worst, then I'm pleasantly surprised when something good happens.

Can you tell me how many gun factories' new product development and tooling departments give you a tour now? Think about what you're saying, showing production prototypes outside the supply chain making it (unless you still believe every gun is made entirely inhouse even though that's never been true for most from English-made locks for Pennsylvannia and Hawken rifles to M4's) is hardly common practice nor does it make sense. We're testing tooling and materials, it's a proven design.

Our lead engineer ran new product development and engineering for U.S. Repeating Arms, as well as factories, for 30 years (Winchesters) so maybe he'll remember your frequent drop bys? Do they have you sign the non-disclosure agreement at the door or do you carry blank ones with you whenever you drop by factories with vague interest in making a consumer purchase maybe someday? We have NDA's with about half of the major gunmakers and make the proof ammunition for many of them for their prototypes and new models...but gosh, they don't ship over prototypes for that so we can bring the neighborhood through and post their casual observations on forums.

The endless referrals to the Bren Ten in the forums by so many, apparently the only gun in history with a waiting list or uneven fulfillment, baffles me as well.

Ever ordered a custom rifle from a gunsmith or small shop? Did you pay the gunsmith long after it was delivered? Was it sitting there on the rack when you first contacted him, mysteriously made to your every specification? If you order anything via catalog or online, or for that matter a car or computer, do you just send a deposit or do you pay at the time you order? Since the Montgomery Ward catalog came out in 1872, it's been cash at time of order.

That's what this is, not something the size of Ruger or S&W pumping out tens of thousands of guns that for some reason was off the radar.

The large frame Merwins were in hard, continual use for 30-50 years all over the world. Use by experts in pitched battles on horseback and foot, in deserts, mountains, jungles, towns. Adopted by more city police forces in the 1870's-1890's than any other make of cartridge revolver up through NYPD along with veteran lawmen in hot places such as Pat Garrett, Bud Ledbetter, Bass Reeves, maybe Tilghman, Wyatt Earp, Frank Hamer, Bass Outlaw, Bob Dalton, UPRR Special Agents, Pinkertons, etc.

who'd used many makes and models over the decades. Gun designs that gunfight veterans expecting more of the same buy and carry impress me a lot.

The design passed the U.S. Army Ordnance Dept's field trials 4 times (the same testing processes that failed Mausers, Lees, Savage 1899, Winchester lever and bolt guns, Spencers, Sharps, etc.). They were adopted by the Spanish Army when they still had a worldwide empire in near constant revolt and were heavily used by the Mexican Army up through the Presidential Guard detail.

Yet skepticism remains about the design because it's not a Colt SAA 1873 and the assumption some sort of public testing...hours on YouTube I guess for design prototypes is required. Yet if someone you don't know and of unknown expertise said they'd handled an internal tooling or testing prototype, that would be more credible than someone inside the company, that would be credible to you...although in fact the bar always moves until it's "well after tens of thousands have been out in use for many decades, then it might be okay."

Gun magazines don't review prototypes, Consumer Reports doesn't either, it's production models well into the production cycle that get tested and there's a long string of very savvy gun reviewers, including master gunsmiths, who've volunteered to do the Merwin reviews and are spending their own hard-earned money on them.

The Merwins are in production, the website is out of date and just about to be replaced, the catalog is current and available on request for free.

A few photos of those Merwins "in production" (your words) as opposed to computer generated images would go a long way towards defusing the reasonable scepticism many of us have and would do far more to generate belief in, and excitement over, this project than the constant reassuring posts on numerous forums such as this one, with no proof.

We know what a Merwin will look like and no one has claimed that there will be any secret, proprietary production methods requiring secrecy. Why is it that someone associated with this project doesn't take a few photos of parts and facilities and guns "in production" and post them somewhere?

I remember when many of us were waiting for the Chinese made '87 Winchester replicas. We were treated to photos of parts lined up and Coyote Cap in the factory long before the guns arrived. Why does everyone associated with this project get so defensive over requests for photos?

I don't know about the M&H's. It would appear that a few production photos would, in fact, allay skepticism. As far as the Bren Ten, I have one, new in the box, that actually came with 2 magazines that I bought shortly after production was announced.

I've been watching this company for a couple of years. I go by and check the forum periodically for activity and updates. Frankly, I don't see the level of activity on their forum that tells me that they have lots of pre-orders.

As for actual product, we have seen CAD type drawings and that is all. As has been noted, a few photos of parts all lined up in racks for assembly would help build confidence, reveal nothing that shouldn't be revealed and would be very easy to do. The fact that it hasn't been done is worrisome.

Deadlines keep slipping, not unexpected, but a potential problem.

I would like to see this company make it. I'd like a couple of these guns because I think they would be fun to shoot in SASS. So I'm rooting for them, and hoping that they will be able to produce this gun. But the signs are not all positive from where I'm reading them.

It's possible the project is underfunded, so they're depending on deposits to keep the project alive. It becomes a vicious cycle -- you can't build any guns without deposits, and you can't get enough deposits without building some guns. The aircraft industry is famous for operating this way. Many ventures with great promise go bust before a prototype is completed.

Excellent. Take a quick snapshot of one of your happy employees holding a frame they're working on, post it here, shut us skeptics up and get ready to take some more deposits.

Easy-peasey.

I wish them nothing but good luck and God speed but, experience has taught me never to buy a pig in a poke. Without an actual product that I can handle and judge with my own eyes, I won't put my money down. I think their business model is also going to be complicated by the arrival of the rumored Uberti version of the M&H. If actually brought into production, I seriously doubt that the Uberti will go for anywhere near $1,200 which could be a big problem for this outfit.

I think their business model is also going to be complicated by the arrival of the rumored Uberti version of the M&H. If actually brought into production, I seriously doubt that the Uberti will go for anywhere near $1,200 which could be a big problem for this outfit.

I don't think so. Assuming that everything is as they say it is, the Ubertis would be mass produced, while the American guns would be more... what's the word? "Made-to-order," I guess. I suppose the analogy would be a Uberti Schofield for $900 v a S&W 2000 Schoffield for $2,000.

BTW, the Wire is the only place I've heard anyone talk about Uberti Merwins. Does anybody actually know something, or is it all rumor?

I think their business model is also going to be complicated by the arrival of the rumored Uberti version of the M&H. If actually brought into production, I seriously doubt that the Uberti will go for anywhere near $1,200 which could be a big problem for this outfit.

1) The Uberti Merwin is a vague, long-time wisp of a rumor.

2) The Uberti Schofields go for over $800. The Merwin would be more difficult to produce, as I understand. $1200 for an Uberti Merwin seems about right.

3) We really don't know, with the gang in charge of the Chinese fire drill on 1600 Pennsylvania Ave right now, what any European products will cost in the coming months and years. We're trying to cheapen our money, which will inflate the cost of foreign goods, but foreigners threaten to cheapen their money in return. Uberti might get priced out of the American gun market altogether. We just can't predict anything right now.

I don't think so. Assuming that everything is as they say it is, the Ubertis would be mass produced, while the American guns would be more... what's the word? "Made-to-order," I guess. I suppose the analogy would be a Uberti Schofield for $900 v a S&W 2000 Schoffield for $2,000.

BTW, the Wire is the only place I've heard anyone talk about Uberti Merwins. Does anybody actually know something, or is it all rumor?

That could be true, but, I think a production Uberti would still have an impact. After all, Uberti is known for their quality and if their M&H is readily available and cheaper, I am sure it will command a significant part of the market (assuming that they are made at all).

Also, I had one of the first Smith Schofields and one of the first Uberti Schofields, and for those particular guns, the Uberti was much nicer (that Smith had been very badly polished with dished screw holes, rounded corners and very ugly grips). Just because someone asks more for something does not mean that its worth it. Its hard to know what will be better without being able to look at the actual product.

When I see a new firearm in the hands of a friend, and he tells me it works and he is satisfied, I then wait about a year and buy one.

It seems to work for me.

The endless referrals to the Bren Ten in the forums by so many, apparently the only gun in history with a waiting list or uneven fulfillment, baffles me as well. I never ordered a Bren Ten, but I am still waiting for my Ruger XGI to show up. I'm also still waiting for Winchester to send the 1892 rifle my son won at End of Trail in 2003.

Ever ordered a custom rifle from a gunsmith or small shop? Yes and yes. Did you pay the gunsmith long after it was delivered? I paid a 10% deposit and the balance when the goods were delivered. Of course the XGI still has not arrived.

Since the Montgomery Ward catalog came out in 1872, it's been cash at time of order. Monkey Wards sold ready made products through the mail. If I order something from one of my favorite gun companies by mail, for example Dillon Precision, I do pay for it up front and it arrives in two days or so. Dillon, like Monkey Wards, sells products, not research and development.

Yet skepticism remains about the design because it's not a Colt SAA 1873. No issues on my part with the original M & H design. They are superior to every revolver of the era in my opinion.

The Merwins are in production, As others have stated, a few simple pictures of parts that are completed, frames, cylinders, etc would go along way. There are no design/manufacturing secrets that would be revealed by showing a completed product. I hope your venture works out. When I see guns start coming out of the factory, I will most likely place an order for 2 if the quality and design match the originals.

...BTW, the Wire is the only place I've heard anyone talk about Uberti Merwins. Does anybody actually know something, or is it all rumor?

Remember how long it took for Uberti to make the 1876 rifle? Years of "oh it will never happen" but it finally did.

Uberti started on the Merwin a few years ago. They were hoping to have a prototype for the Shot Show last year but did not. Last I asked, earlier this year, the project was on hold due to the current economy and the fact that this will be an expensive gun. Perhaps we will see a Cimarron Uberti Merwin Hulbert at Shot Show this year, and perhaps we will see one from the new Merwin company. Then they could be compared :wacko:

The originals that were sent to Uberti are plow handle models so that is what they are copying. Dang, I want the skull crusher.

Marshall Harry O,

Are you employed by or a spokesman for the company?

Why is the company taking deposits on guns that have not been produced yet? In my book that is a sure sign the project is underfunded and likely to fail. THe start-up costs of a new manufacturing plant, tooling, design, R&D, etc. must be hugh especially on a design as complicated as the M&H!

I think I will get in line behind Utah Bob. I think he has the best plan.

I OWN NO COLTS -BUT I CAN SEE ONE ANYTIME -THE MERWINS IS A VERY GOOD DESIGN AND WERE WELL

MADE -"SHOW US A PICTURE OF ONE FINISHED IN YOUR HAND AND ILL SEND THE DEPOSIT TOMORROW :wacko: .

:wacko: Geez guys.......... all I asked for was the advice of model, caliber, finish, barrel length. However the comment of a "pig in a poke" did remind me that I had bought an item from a notable member of SASS that turned into a topic of much discourse and he was less than conciliatory about the topic. (Boy did I tap dance my phraseology on that sentence).

I have no doubts at all about MH...I have been close to them since the beginning, and they have my rather substantial initial order.You guys comparing the new MH to Bren and other highly publicized but non existent guns over and over are really getting tedious, not to mention, just plain dead nuts wrong about MH.

So don't buy one..but when you see the exceptional quality of these custom guns, you'll want one or 2..I guarantee it!

I looked at the M&W website (again) yesterday. I did some looking on one of their forums and in one specifc post, someone claiming to be "STAFF" at M&W had referenced being in contact with Dave Chicoine regarding the possible finishes they would offer.

I spoke with Dave about this and he replied that they had, indeed, contacted him and he had given them some advice. He also stated that the were supposed to be sending him several examples to test, but as of yesterday, he had not seen one. He suggested that if anyone is interested in purchasing one, that they wait until he, or someone they knew, recieved one and was able to test it.

Just thought I'd pass this along.....

I have no doubts at all about MH...I have been close to them since the beginning, and they have my rather substantial initial order.You guys comparing the new MH to Bren and other highly publicized but non existent guns over and over are really getting tedious, not to mention, just plain dead nuts wrong about MH.

So don't buy one..but when you see the exceptional quality of these custom guns, you'll want one or 2..I guarantee it!

Frankly, I think that most of us who have been cautious about this and adopted a "wait and see" attitude are really pulling for these guys and will be buying guns if they actually are produced. Having said that, since you are "close" to these guys perhaps you can explain why every time one of the people associated with this project posts on a thread such as this oneand the subject of photos (versus computer generated images) comes up, they suddenly go silent. I have seen that process repeated here, on the Colt Forum, on the Smith and Wesson Forum and numerous others. If the guns are in production, as has been claimed here, why no photos? The only reasonable inference I can draw is that they aren't as far along as they claim. That (a production delay), in and of itself would not be a problem, I can't remember when a new gun such as this one ever came through on time, but if that is the case why not just say so? Unless, of course, they are strapped for cash and need those deposits. These are not unreasonable questions.

BTW, I'll be wanting a single action opentop with scooped cylinder flutes, the "skull-crusher" grip frame and a 3 1/2" barrel if they actually come through.

BTW, I'll be wanting a single action opentop with scooped cylinder flutes, the "skull-crusher" grip frame and a 3 1/2" barrel if they actually come through.

I wanted a skull-crusher, too, but I figure my hands are too large.

The part about this that worries me is that, when asked about progress, the Merwin guys write paragraphs and paragraphs, and really don't say anything of substance. There's never anything specific or definite, and there always seems to be a fair amount of deflection.

Archived