SASS Wire Forum

Merwin, Hulbert & Co. Order

Remo, SASS #17644

Just looked at there early december update and noticed that there not going to put on a transfere bar or other type of safety to the gun. That i feel is a mistake, there are a number of people who carry single actions for other then sass reasons. I dont really know why single action makers arnt putting safetys on there guns. Heck Freedom arms has a similar safety on the model 83 as the Uberti hammer bar system.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just looked at there early december update and noticed that there not going to put on a transfere bar or other type of safety to the gun. That i feel is a mistake, there are a number of people who carry single actions for other then sass reasons. I dont really know why single action makers arnt putting safetys on there guns. Heck Freedom arms has a similar safety on the model 83 as the Uberti hammer bar system.

Simple..The new MH is made exactly to original specs, except for some added calibers like 45 colt and 44 spl

The original MH had no safeties...

Remember..the First and Best Safety is your Mind....Proper gun handling and responsible use of a handgun

I agree sixgun shorty, but i still like having 6 shots in my revolver when im out in the field or forest just hiking or plinking or what not. It just feels odd only having 5 and seeing that empty hole whoose purpose is to have a bullet in it and not being able to put one there. It just feels unnatural.

I thought that original MH company was among the first to impliment the transfere bar into there guns?

I don't run the new MH Co so I can't make those decisions for them..If I made a mistake, I'll bear the responsibility like I have done my entire life, but i don't rush blindly into any business decision I make including this one

As far as MH goes, do whatever You want ..not what I want

This is my last word on this matter...

+1 for Shorty.

I can never understand why folks have to pick apart the re-release of a historical fire arm because it doesn't have a "this or that" that didn't exist at the time the original fire arm was released. Carrying a SA with 6 has always been a shaky proposition, even though there is a perfectly safe way to do it.

If the only issue with a historically accurate re-release is "can't carry it with 6" then ........... go buy a Ruger or other transfer bar equipped modern fire arm and quit acting like it a personal insult it wasn't made "your way."

As stated. There is only one truly effective safety. It's the person carrying the fire arm.

Coffinmaker

+1 for Shorty.

I can never understand why folks have to pick apart the re-release of a historical fire arm because it doesn't have a "this or that" that didn't exist at the time the original fire arm was released. Carrying a SA with 6 has always been a shaky proposition, even though there is a perfectly safe way to do it.

If the only issue with a historically accurate re-release is "can't carry it with 6" then ........... go buy a Ruger or other transfer bar equipped modern fire arm and quit acting like it a personal insult it wasn't made "your way."

As stated. There is only one truly effective safety. It's the person carrying the fire arm.

Coffinmaker

Hear Hear..Very Well Said Indeed

Thank You

I agree, but they still have to deal with product liability in this sue happy age. If some idiot fails to engage his brain and shoots himself or someone else he will more then likely sue over it.

Not adding a safety to a gun is not a personal insult, it just dosent make sense from a liability stand point. Surely they have thought about it and have some way to deal with it.

Truthfully I to this day dont undertand why firearms safety design took a step back with the SAA and other designs of the day, when they advanced from cap and ball. At least with cap and ball there were either notches or pins to rest the hammer between the cylinders. What the mason was thinking when he designed the saa with out something similar or better is just odd.. Did they not care about safety at all, Surely they didnt intend for people to only carry 5 shots in such a large weapon. Man its like carrying a oversized snubby.

It was originally intended for the 6th to be added as the situation required. You mentioned the "safety" position between cylinders. The SA design allows for exactly the same thing, with the firing pin trapped between the case heads. Works quite well.

If you can't get it done with 5. You probably can't get it done with a 6th.

When I was a Police Officer in Washington state, a State Patrolman emptied a large capacity 9MM at a Perp at less than 12 feet. Didn't hit him once. The Perp fired 12, didn't hit the Patrolman. I don't see the "5" vs "6" as an issue.

Coffinmaker

Well...there's another side to the safety issue....without a design feature in the gun that will allow it to pass the infamous "drop test", it probably won't pass muster in MA, and we'll be closed out of any opportunity to own new production models. They don't let you load 5 for the test....

CA too?

LL

I agree sixgun shorty, but i still like having 6 shots in my revolver when im out in the field or forest just hiking or plinking or what not. It just feels odd only having 5 and seeing that empty hole whoose purpose is to have a bullet in it and not being able to put one there. It just feels unnatural.

I thought that original MH company was among the first to impliment the transfere bar into there guns?

I think that was probably Iver Johnson. "Hammer the hammer."

-Chris

I have an original M&H, after taking it apart I don't see what the big problem is duplicating it. The loakwork is prety straightforward and the cylinder pin has some groves milled in it. But I'm neither an engineer or a businessman so what do I know? There is some interesting comments over at CAS City about this, be sure to read page 2. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php...455079.html#new

I have an original M&H, after taking it apart I don't see what the big problem is duplicating it. The loakwork is prety straightforward and the cylinder pin has some groves milled in it. But I'm neither an engineer or a businessman so what do I know? There is some interesting comments over at CAS City about this, be sure to read page 2. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php...455079.html#new
Interesting thread, Thanks. Adios Sgt. Jake

Got the new Dillon catalog today: The Blue Press, January 2011.

Inside the back cover is an ad for M-H with a picture of the 1878 Pocket Army SA in nickel with two interchangeable barrels.

Just beautiful. Yes, I would want one - no, make that two.

Are these the photos that so many folks have been asking for?

LL

Haven't seen the catalog, but if they are photos of a prototype/production model, then why couldn't they produce them here or on their website? Curious.

http://www.bridleandbit.net/ebooks/bluepre..._files/main.swf

I can't tell for sure, but these look like the real thing........

Go to Page 61

LL

Nope, those are the same CAD images from their catalogue.

I hope the demand for them lets them expand the calibers in the future. I would buy a couple in 38-40. If not, .44 Special will do.

I like the looks of the shorter barrel with scalloped cylinder flutes and the skullcracker grips.

I can't believe how many of you cowpokes keep calling them wrongly by saying "Skullcrusher" not skullcracker like the Company calls them. There's a big difference between crushing someones skull and cracking it. Just sayin' You guys know who you are.

Big Jake 1001

Just to a few personal muisings here after reading this thread.

Why the heck is everyone beating these guys up?

They said they were going to deliver a product, so let's see if they deliver. It seems there a lot of folks that want to jump on the band wagon and show everyone what wise old sages they are by telling us that they will no way pay a deposit on a gun that is not in production. Well ok Socrates, so be it, that's your business ant if someone wants to go ahead, well, that's theirs; ain't nothing comming out of your pocket.

Perhaps it has to do with dealing with the military for so many years, but I have yet to see a propossal come out and meet the scheduled time line on time. There is set up production forcasts, then the inevitable glitches and "whoops didn't think of that". If they start production you can bet your sweet bippy I will be plunking down some bucks when I can afford it; if not, well, "that's the way it goes."

Then for the folks that want transfer bars and safetys, etc. etc; do you want an authentic revolver or not? If you want a cheap modernised imitation, go buy a ruger or stampede. If you are going to use the gun for other than CAS, then you will have to be limited to five rounds and learn to reload very fast if you cant do it with five. I would also recomend if this is the case, get a serious caliber, don't go into the dark timber with a 38 special if you have a choice.

Some folks are probably thinking of carrying them for self defense against two legged predators. This is your perogative, but belive me I have been witness to what kind of hassle after being involved in an incident, just how damned difficult it is to get your firearm back from the law. Make no mistake, it's not like Gunsmoke or The Lawman. The sheriff is not going to say, "Yup he drew first, it was self defence", and let you ride off into the sunset. The cops are going to take your gun and it is going to lay in an evidence room and rust for probably a year or two if you do get it back. Therfore, I would not be too eager to pack my $1400 custom MH, on the street to show folks I'm really, "old school"; I have a $400 Stampede for that and guess what, it holds 6 rounds.

Of course these are just my opinions and nothing more.

Nope, those are the same CAD images from their catalogue.

Hmmm, if they are so hard up, why are they spending so much on advertizing?

• 4 weeks later...

I've been watching this thread for a while and can't help but think of the BS that was thrown at Coyote Cap when he was trying to get the 87's built. I spent three years on a waiting list for a CC special and every minute was worth it. Now the crew trying to bring back the Merwin Hulberts are getting the same crap. It's a simple thing folks, if you dont want to take a chance DONT!!!!

Anyway heres a link to some picks that were just posted on the Merwin Hulbert site, they show one of the newly made frame next to an original.

http://www.forum.merwinhulbertco.com/showf...page=0#Post1366

I really, REALLY REALLY want one of these and will order as soon as I can

I've been watching this thread for a while and can't help but think of the BS that was thrown at Coyote Cap when he was trying to get the 87's built. I spent three years on a waiting list for a CC special and every minute was worth it. Now the crew trying to bring back the Merwin Hulberts are getting the same crap. It's a simple thing folks, if you dont want to take a chance DONT!!!!

Anyway heres a link to some picks that were just posted on the Merwin Hulbert site, they show one of the newly made frame next to an original.

I wouldn't exactly call that a finished product

Guest diablo slim shootist

well thats something at least-im a tool maker by trade and i know

what it takes to mill and heat treat 4140 steel -if they get it work it

will be a good product . the originals were hand fitted to very close

tolerances so i have heard-that will be the true test of their product.

with todays machines it is possible to make these fast and accurate

but hand fitting is what makes products lousy or great.Look at the early

colts and the 3rd gen colts -big difference.I wish them luck and am

waiting to see a finished product still-Diablo :FlagAm:

Good to see a component finally! I would like one of these.

Why the heck is everyone beating these guys up?

They said they were going to deliver a product, so let's see if they deliver.

I remember all the hoopla about the Taurus Thunderbolt a few years ago. It was going to be hundreds of dollars less than the competition and was going to set the cowboy world on its ear. It was affordable, it was fabulous ... it was a big flop.

The folks making the Merwin-Hulbert obviously want to deliver a quality product that won't be a major disappointment. To look at it another way, they don't want to rush a POS into production and have their reputation ruined forever. Give 'em a chance, and let's see what they do.

Early on in the M&H saga, I had some email conversations with one of the movers and shakers in the company. The main point I wanted to make with him was that they shouldn't take too seriously SASS wire claims like, "I'll buy two, just make 'em!" He said he understood that.

I wish them well, hope they get them on the market, and if they do...well, you know.

Archived