SASS Wire Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Hello next order from California state just arrived. Thanks a lot, we will send your PCC capper today and we will provide tracking number afterwards. best regards, Polish Cappers https://www.polishcappers.com
  3. PGFH- thanks the trade offer, that is a very nice rifle! I am going to have to pass as I am currently thinning the herd.
  4. Yep, Tennessee Williams made a great correction above. Hitting wrong type of target is of course a miss. MDs need to make certain they understand they complicate matches and open the door for "too close to miss cleanly" calls when there are front-to-back vertical overlaps of the same type of target (the pistol targets, for example), which may favor either short or tall shooters. Good luck, GJ
  5. Today
  6. I shoot a Pedersoli coach gun and love it. Had to lighten the hammer springs and the break-open spring. Pedersoli's are very well made and fitted and will take the abuse of cowboy shooting. Nicely shaped stock and fore grip. RR
  7. I've never been real happy with the definition of a "Miss". Seems to me that if you shoot the wrong target, you did it wrong. Yeah, I know, if the rifle targets are behind the pistol targets and you miss the pistol, you could hit a rifle target...….. unless there is enough room for a Clean Miss. The way many clubs group up the targets so close together in order to accommodate the zoomers, there is often no room for a Clean Miss, so the Miss rule was written to bring things down to the "T" ball level of play. I know that this is not "Bulls Eye" shooting, so on the other hand maybe the rule is OK. The easiest way around it all is just don't miss. Ha!
  8. HE's BACK...... and now, he's 89K+ richer tonight. Some of the questions tonight were impossible to imagine that anyone would know the answers. Yet, there were some smart competitors tonight. Go James..... GO! ..........Widder
  9. This was our first visit and we will be back in 2020. Thanks for the great match. beautiful range, beautiful stages.
  10. Sam has it very close, A belt of the old west lived on in southern/eastern Oregon. Western, south/central Idaho, Central, Eastern/southern Nevada. Northern Arizona. Well into the 50's, my mother and grandmother told of Prescott, AZ in the 30's as being pretty wild and wooly. The horse gave way to the car but was very common as transportation even as late as the mid 60's in Klamath Falls, OR. I remember horses tied to parking meters outside the Eagle café and a few of the bars. Same was true of Ely, NV. Most those places are Citified now but ever now and then.
  11. https://www.cowboysindians.com/2016/02/the-last-free-apaches/
  12. Only Cimarron is importing the TTN. The Pedersoli is different. Very nice to look at, where the TNN is more plain. I handled a new CZ recently. The hammers are quite different than the TTN as is the Pedersoli. Whatever you get, it's gonna need some work for our game. I prefer the hammer placement and shape of the TTN as they are closer together, making one-handed cocking easier -- provided you grind off the horns. YMMV https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1878-coach-gun-12-ga-20-barrel-standard-blue.html https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/186614-pedersoli-wyatt-earp-coach-gun/
  13. Right I just measured 6 different '73 lifters. One old Winchester and 5 Ubertis. All run edge to edge 1.59+ to 1.60. The Winchester is off a 1880's ' 73 in 32-20. It was 1.57". The ramp cut on a '73 is a new thing invented to allow "short" 38 special ammo in a '73 instead of the traditional cartridges that all ran 1.59"+/- OAL. If you have been around long enough you know we use to long load 38 Special to make the 1.59 so it would run through the early 73/92 conversions. The angle cut allows 44 Special, 44 Schofield and 45 Cowboy (with and insert) and the 38 Special loaded short. So lets not get confused where the ramp cut on the elevator actually came from. It wasn't Winchester's idea. Photos below are the lifter in that 1880's '73 and no ramp cut. Just the elevator feed side rounded some to make the rim of the case feed into the elevator easier. And a couple of photos showing a Uberti 32-20 lifter with the ramp cut. Another photo comparing a Uberti mag tube and a original Winchester mag tube. The Uberti OD is .64". The WInchester is .52". It is a big difference. FWIW the 110 gr bullet that was suggested previous with the driving band in short Starline brass loads to a OAL of 1.603" if crimped on the crimp groove. My Uberti 32-20 elevator is 1.595. Imagine how that works running a fast 10 rounds in a '73?! It don't. The 115gr traditional Winchester bullet I use with Starline brass measures 1.56"+. Original 32-20 Winchester elevator ramp on a Uberti 32-20 (or 38) elevator Uberti on top. Original Winchester 32-20 below What I have learned from my adventures with a 32-20 and a Uberti is simple really. Just do everything Winchester did with their '73.....including the original ammo of the day. Move on up to the '92 and things changed some But the gun basics stayed the same. What really changed with the '92 besides going smokeless was the ammo got faster with more pressure. But a '92 is only about half the fun of a '73
  14. My wife's dad said, "The shotgun's loaded." .
  15. And the other name for the French and Indian War is....?
  16. Just some things I have heard & or seen............. Years back when the Contender crowd complained that 32-20 Win brass was failing after a couple firings R-P made theirs a little thicker. This helped the TC shooters as they were using .308 FMJ bullets & dies came in boxes that said " 32-20 For TC Contender" & were setup for that combination. I believe the dies were marked "TC" also. This was not helping anyone trying to reload for old guns. (or even new non-TC guns) Today when wanting to shoot a larger dia. bullet do to wanting to mach bore size +.001 it is a ?? as to how to get it right sometimes. The size of the finished cartridge is determined / restricted by the die & the thickness of the brass & bullet size. Just for fun pull a bullet & see what size it is. Sizes are approx (from memory) Example cast bullet .314 (trying to get to work in old Colt) Pull loaded round, bullet is only .311 loaded in R-P brass Winchester brass is thinnest allowing the net dia of the bullet to increase. Starline was in the middle for thickness. This brass thickness difference would cause crimps to differ a;so, (providing R-P was trimmed to Winchester length so cases are equal length). By the way the Wilson gage is a "case gage" not a "cartridge gage" they say so in the instructions that it is not for loaded rounds. Example, new factory Winchester ammunition falls into the gage as the shoulder is set way back so as to chamber in "any" firearm in that caliber. No spec for 32-20 (& 38-40 Win) etc so nobody makes a cartridge gage that I am aware of. (hence the practice of using a tight revolver cylinder to gage rounds. There is a company making one for 44-40 that seems to work for my applications at least, but when I spoke with them they were not planning any in 32-20 or 38-40. Oh what fun. Hope this helps or at least was interesting.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.