SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch Guns

usmc69

As I understand it, an M1911 can be used.  But what about a Colt M1909 U.S.Army in .45 Colt?  It is the predecessor to the M1911.  Just curious is all. 

Colt M1909.jpg

Colt M1909 Butt.jpg

• Like 3

Bear in mind also that SASS and a lot of local WB matches are now using 7 rounds in the magazine.  Which makes a revolver a little less practical, unless you just like reloading. ;)

• Like 2

If you are shooting that gun, you’re just out to have fun!  Reloads be damned…  Nice pistol!

I would like to shoot one of those in a match one of these days.

• Like 2

It is a hoot to shoot.  The gun is 115 years old and is very accurate with the right fodder in it.  It was a replace for the Colt SAA's that were wearing out in the Philippines.  Only 30,000 were made and most went to the Philippines.  It was a stop-gap used until the M1911's came on line.  It is basically a Colt New Service.  Not to let it be shot in the Wild Bunch Shoot is a lack of historical insight.  It is a Colt, it is from the right time frame,  Much more so than something made in this day and age.  Something Jacob McCandles could have used.........https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Jake

• Like 2

I wish they would open it up for the 1917 revolvers, running those with moon clips would make them competitive. Also, C96 Mausers and Lugers.

6 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

I wish they would open it up for the 1917 revolvers, running those with moon clips would make them competitive. Also, C96 Mausers and Lugers.

There is a club in Bowie Texas that welcomes all of those plus a bunch more.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

There is a club in Bowie Texas that welcomes all of those plus a bunch more.

Yup, I follow them on FB [when I'm not in FB jail...] hope to shoot with them someday.

• Like 1

your M1909 looks to be if fine condition , i love mine as well as my M1817 but these revolvers are DA/SA so they dont qualify at this point in time , both of my revolvers are very accurate and fun to shoot , which reminds me ive not opened that bunch up for range duty for a very long time - this is a great time to start thinking of my range trips and what i need to take with me - both need to be included , my M1905 deserves the same attention , 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, usmc69 said:

It is a hoot to shoot.  The gun is 115 years old and is very accurate with the right fodder in it.  It was a replace for the Colt SAA's that were wearing out in the Philippines.  Only 30,000 were made and most went to the Philippines.  It was a stop-gap used until the M1911's came on line.  It is basically a Colt New Service.  Not to let it be shot in the Wild Bunch Shoot is a lack of historical insight.  It is a Colt, it is from the right time frame,  Much more so than something made in this day and age.  Something Jacob McCandles could have used.........https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Jake

The Wild Bunch matches I shoot in usually have 21 or 28 pistols rounds each stage. You'd want a few speed loaders for sure to keep up with the 1911's having pre-loaded magazines. 

Howdy Wild Bunch,

A club I've shot with restricted shooters to "guns prior to 1912". This made for much more fun. We only used 2 - 5 shot loaded magazines. That let me use a Luger as my reload for the 1911. Further, since it was introduced in 1911, I used a Rem. Model 11 (copy of a Humpback Browning). Since I was never a contender, nobody complained that I was a gamer with the auto shotgun. For me it was just more fun to have a collection of weird guns on the firing line. I dearly wish I had a broom handle Mauser for the game, but can't afford the cost of them these days. Same goes for those early Win. self loader rifles.

By the way, I use speed loaders for my Schofields at the loading table during regular CAS matches. Just because I can. They also work for Rem. Conversions.

Rev. Chase

• Like 2

HEY DEACON !!

When "Wild Bunch" was young and first established as a fun side match, BEFORE SASS screwed it up, we could come out and play with ALL of those fun Safe Queens.  1917s, Broomhandles, Lugers, Colt 1909.  Then SASS got hold of it and turned it into CAS with a 1911.  Phooey

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I don't know why, but for some reason I thought this was going to be about the guns used in the movie.

https://www.imfdb.org/wiki/The_Wild_Bunch

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

I don't know why, but for some reason I thought this was going to be about the guns used in the movie.

I wish they did use the guns from the movie. I should say “other guns from the movie”.