SASS Wire Forum

I'm not saying I'm old...

When I was a kid, rainbows were a cool site in the sky after rain. Now they're everywhere, rain or shine.:ph34r:

6 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:
... but when I was a kid, rainbows were in black and white.

You're so old, you taught Keith Richard how to play guitar.

I'm so old that when I was a kid, AL GORE hadn't invented anything yet.

When I was a kid, we had ice delivered to our house 2 or 3 times a week to put in the ice box and help keep stuff 'cool'.

Bologna was sliced fresh at the local grocery store.    Small bottles of coke were 6-cents and came from a machine

that had a swivel handle to turn downward after you put your money in it.

3 packs of gum (5 pieces per pack) were only 10-cents.

3 nickel candy bars were also 10-cents if you bought 3 of them at the same time.

EDIT:  only problem was......... we rarely ever had a dime.

..........Widder

When I was quite young, we had an old German couple about a mile from us who still used a big icebox on the porch of their rickety old house. They had no refrigerator, no telephone, and no television. Of course, these things were still relatively uncommon in rural areas. Old Joe had extended one end of their modest cabin/house a few feet so it went over the well, then mounted a cast iron pump jack on the plank kitchen counter. Stella was thrilled - she didn't have to go outside for water anymore! They had an inside toilet, but no water piped to it, so after you flushed, you had to carry a bucket of water from the kitchen to the bathroom to fill the tank back up. I'm pretty sure the waste just dumped into the creek. Bath water was also carried to the tub in buckets. There was very little insulation in the walls, so in the winter, Joe drained the toilet so it wouldn't freeze & break, closed off the back of the house, and they used the outhouse instead. There was a big woodstove sitting on the plank floor in the middle of the single front room, which was a combination kitchen, dining room, and living room, and it kept it cozy in the winter. When the weather started turning, Joe would drag their bedstead out into the living room for the winter, and the bedroom & bathroom would be closed off and mostly not used for four or five months. This would have been in the late-50's. And they somehow managed to raise three kids in this house too. The "kids" would be in their 90's now, so I imagine they're all gone.

yup , i was 14 before anything was in color ................funny this came up that movie i think it was Pleasantville , was on the other night , my wife watched and thought it was very interesting use of color in movie , i told her i thought the wizard of oz was the classic but we both agreed that might be second , 

Archived