SASS Wire Forum

Statue in front of the UN building

Why do we allow them to have this? Someone should destroy it like they're doing with statues of our Founders and generals etc! This always pi&^ed me off!

image.thumb.png.6f5166e1cffa18d8202f6e5b1c87b9c8.png

• Thanks 5

Would be great to saw off the barrel right behind the knot!! :FlagAm:

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Yeah - you gotta hate people and groups exercising that pesky First Admendment freedom...

Let's destroy their property and silence their free speech because we don't agree with it.

And then we should get highly indignant when they attempt to do the exact same thing to us.

Freedom is not solely for speech and behaviors you agree with.

Freedom is ugly - it is rife with offensive images, words and behaviors.

Freedom is covered with sharp, jagged edges that can cut and tear in both directions.

It is not obligated to nor limited by your feelings; and while some may choose "in polite society" to curtail their own freedoms - there is no reasonable expectation that everyone will be sanitized for your protection.

Freedom is either freedom "for all" or it doesn't exist.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, J.C. Bell, SASS #15217 said:

How much money was taken from taxpayers who disagree with this to pay for it?  Where's their freedom of expressions (speech)?

Good point!!!B)

45 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Yeah - you gotta hate people and groups exercising that pesky First Admendment freedom...

Let's destroy their property and silence their free speech because we don't agree with it.

And then we should get highly indignant when they attempt to do the exact same thing to us.

Freedom is covered with sharp, jagged edges that can cut and tear in both directions.

It is not obligated to nor limited by your feelings; and while some may choose "in polite society" to curtail their own freedoms - there is no reasonable expectation that everyone will be sanitized for your protection.

OKAY!!!  Tell that to all those idiots tearing down and removing the statues and monuments that so many of US hold in high esteem!!

’Til then, I’ll call for the destruction and removal and defacing of their statues and monuments!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Since when did the UN turn into a group?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Why stop at the statue? Get rid of the UN entirely.

Amen. 

22 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Since when did the UN turn into a group?

They are a Collective. A Hot Air Collective or, as I like to think of them, An Oral Defecation Collective. 

31 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

OKAY!!!  Tell that to all those idiots tearing down and removing the statues and monuments that so many of US hold in high esteem!!

’Til then, I’ll call for the destruction and removal and defacing of their statues and monuments!!

I prefer not to be a hypocrite.

Justifying abhorrent behavior by stating "but they did it first" is juvenile.

You cannot be surprised or claim any moral high ground regarding someone attempting to strip you of your free speech, of your expression, of your rights when you demonstrate the exact same willingness to strip others of theirs.

ABSOLUTE PRINCIPLES are ABSOLUTE.

Not just pieces that should be subject to  censorship or removal at the whim and opinion of whomever is in power.

• Like 1

I think that a snub-nosed revolver in from of the UN would be much more tasteful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Justifying abhorrent behavior by stating "but they did it first" is juvenile.

You cannot be surprised or claim any moral high ground regarding someone attempting to strip you of your free speech, of your expression, of your rights when you demonstrate the exact same willingness to strip others of theirs.

ABSOLUTE PRINCIPLES are ABSOLUTE.

Not just pieces that should be subject to  censorship or removal at the whim and opinion of whomever is in power.

I’m not JUSTIFYING anything!  FURTHER, I haven’t called for or participated in the destruction or removal or defacement of any statue or monument!!  My observation was partly tongue in cheek.

Your last post makes, perfectly, my point!!  Their attempt to remove and rewrite our history and remove or destroy our memorials is a BLATANT example of the setting aside of principles by those who are doing it!

AND!! I didn’t say anything like, “They did it too!”  I said that they did it and they should be stopped and held accountable!!

Until THEY are stopped, I will reserve the right to voice my disapproval of their actions, their monuments, and their overbearing, self aggrandizing, holier than thou opinions and demands!!

How many times throughout history, have we seen the people who held to their principles and let others set theirs aside, be beaten down, herded into prisons, or even killed en mass because they stood on the “high ground” but didn’t meet the threat that confronted them??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Why stop at the statue? Get rid of the UN entirely.

I've been saying that for years, but before we bail put in a clause that states the UN MUST meet i whatever country the head of the UN (Secretary General?) is from.  Let them live and operate under some of the backwoods countries and the laws, driving conditions. squalor , etc that the new country offers. 

Give them 90 days to get out, then turn the UN buildings into something useful, like a home for unwed stray cats......ot a vacant lot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I've been saying that for years, but before we bail put in a clause that states the UN MUST meet i whatever country the head of the UN (Secretary General?) is from.  Let them live and operate under some of the backwoods countries and the laws, driving conditions. squalor , etc that the new country offers. 

Give them 90 days to get out, then turn the UN buildings into something useful, like a home for unwed stray cats......ot a vacant lot.

How about using it as housing for homeless vets?:FlagAm:

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I get what you’re saying but I wonder if NYC would have allowed the NRA to have a huge statue  of an AR 15 in front of their building when they were headquartered there? Hmmm…. Free Speech? I wonder if they would allow anyone to display a firearm in front of their building in NYC?

The statue was donated by Luxembourg — no skin off U.S. taxpayers’ nose, other than distinguishing the UN as hostile to the 1st amendment. 

The property it is on is owned by the UN. U.S. Constitution does not apply. 

I’d prefer to solve the issue by just getting rid of the UN — it has become a political cat’s paw for anti-democracy nations whose primary goals reflect a desire to restrict western democracy and redistribute the wealth of capitalism. 

21 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Hmmm.....I'm assuming that you aren't talking about the illegal removal of statues and monuments by violent mobs over the past few years, you only object to the removal of statues you happen to like.

Vandalism isn't "free speech."  Even that sanctioned by leftist government agencies.  You have noticed that, haven't you? Burning an American flag in protests is "free speech" but burning a Mexican flag, a "pride" flag, or some other special group flag is a "hate crime."  As you say, it should be "for all."  But it isn't.  Deface private or public property with BLM or Pride symbols, slogans, or propaganda and a certain party praises you.  Remove or deface that vandalism and, according to that party, it's a hate crime, and will often result in riots, more vandalism, and other violence.  

Personally, I think that revolver is a great comment on the uselessness of the UN.

Creeker also wrote: "

Justifying abhorrent behavior by stating "but they did it first" is juvenile."

It's called playing by the same rules.  If you go into a fight using Olympic boxing rules against someone using MMA rules you get your clock cleaned.  Have you noticed how, when right wingers drop the gloves and play by the other sides rules suddenly the rioters think it's unfair?  Just like on a smaller scale the videos of a group of street toughs trying to beat up one person, and cheering their two or three people on, but as soon as their victim starts fighting back and getting the upper hand all those watching start shouting "STOP!  THAT'S UNCALLED FOR! THAT'S GOING TOO FAR! YOU DON'T NEED TO HIT HIM SO HARD!" as if it's unfair for the victim to fight back using the same rules and methods.  

The "moral high ground" as you said in that post, is to win, not to play nice.  It's not trying to justify it, it's saying, "They want to play by these rules, fine, we will honor their own wishes and play by their rules."  
You, sir, seem to object to a level field.  

EDIT TO ADD:

I guess the Allied bombing of Germany was "juvenile" because it was a response to Germany bombing civilian targets in England.   

Edited by Subdeacon Joe
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1