SASS Wire Forum

On 4/11/2024 at 2:08 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

As I recall, army coffee wasn’t bad except for the one day a year when the urns were cleaned.

"They say that in the Army, the coffee is mighty fine,

Looks like muddy water, and tastes like turpentine..."

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

On 4/11/2024 at 1:08 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

As I recall, army coffee wasn’t bad except for the one day a year when the urns were cleaned.

That's the problem. USMC wouldn't dare clean urns. Way to dangerous when Msgt got his cup.

• Haha 2

image.png.7802b800a0de3589043dc451f25478b6.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Many years ago when I was in college we had a lady that ran the snack bar in the commuter lounge that made NAVY COFFEE, one cup of it in a styrefoam  cup would actually eat into the sides of the cup.

kR

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Howdy,

Somehow I need to show this whole thing to my  doctor.

There is coffee  and  good coffee  and  WOW thats coffee.

ever so often ya gotta have some  WOW.

Best

CR

• Like 2

I had some visitors one time. And the wife asked me if I happen to have a French press. Yes I do. So she asked if she could use it to make her husband coffee. Because he had told her that my coffee was too weak. Go for it.

When it was made, he poured a cup of coffee and stopped at about 3/4 of an inch below the lip of the cup. Then he put in three spoons of sugar and added milk to fill up that other three quarter of an inch.

And I thought that it was quite possible my coffee was too weak, if that's the way he drank it. Maybe if he just had coffee in his cup instead of hot milk and sugar my coffee would have been strong enough. :P

• Like 3

On 4/27/2024 at 6:58 AM, DocWard said:

"They say that in the Army, the coffee is mighty fine,

Looks like muddy water, and tastes like turpentine..."

Oh Lord, I wanna go, but they won’t let me go hoooo-o-o-o-o-o-o-home!

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2024 at 3:41 AM, Pat Riot said:

image.jpeg.c035239df76a1c2efbda164df8f6ecca.jpeg

This very sign is on a wall at Jen's 7th Avenue Cafe in Prescott Valley.  

If you're in the area stop by from 6:00am until 2:00.  It's about the best cafe in the entire state, maybe in the whole world.  Watch a great staff at work and get a fantastic meal to boot.

• Thanks 1

I was looking through this thread thinking “I don’t remember this thread. Then I realized I haven’t had but a couple of sips of coffee. 
Moving on until I have had more coffee. 

• Haha 2

On 6/27/2024 at 12:33 PM, Alpo said:

I had some visitors one time. And the wife asked me if I happen to have a French press. Yes I do. So she asked if she could use it to make her husband coffee. Because he had told her that my coffee was too weak. Go for it.

When it was made, he poured a cup of coffee and stopped at about 3/4 of an inch below the lip of the cup. Then he put in three spoons of sugar and added milk to fill up that other three quarter of an inch.

And I thought that it was quite possible my coffee was too weak, if that's the way he drank it. Maybe if he just had coffee in his cup instead of hot milk and sugar my coffee would have been strong enough. :P

Years ago I drank coffee with cream and sugar. I started doing it because it irked my Dad.

Anyway, good strong coffee tasted much better with cream and sugar. Also, when I was in the Navy the coffee on the Mess Deck needed anything one could add so it was palatable. 
One day we had a miracle happen. The Mess Deck coffee was actually very good. There was a new Seaman on Mess Duty and boy could he make coffee. 
We immediately knew when his 90 days of Mess Duty was over, the coffee tasted like sh** again. There was damn near a riot on the Mess Deck. 
The Sr. Chief MS took care of things and the coffee was better after that. 

I have been drinking my coffee black for over 30 years now. Every great once in a while in the winter I will make “Ghetto Mocha”. You dump instant Hot Chocolate in your cup then fill it with black coffee. It’s Mmmm-Mmm Good with donuts. ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

. Every great once in a while in the winter I will make “Ghetto Mocha”. You dump instant Hot Chocolate in your cup then fill it with black coffee

Oh yeah. A package of Swiss Miss made with coffee instead of hot water is mmm mmm  good.

Never heard it called ghetto mocha before though.

And I'm sure you've seen them Starbucks flavored refrigerator coffee? Back when I was still drinking instant, before I went back to the coffee maker, I discovered that a pack of Swiss Miss and a quarter spoon of nescafe, and when it was all stirred up you poured into a half pint jelly jar and put in the refrigerator. Cost about 15 cents instead of a dollar 80. Taste just like it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Oh yeah. A package of Swiss Miss made with coffee instead of hot water is mmm mmm  good.

And I'm sure you've seen them Starbucks flavored refrigerator coffee? Back when I was still drinking instant, before I went back to the coffee maker, I discovered that a pack of Swiss Miss and a quarter spoon of nescafe, and when it was all stirred up you poured into a half pint jelly jar and put in the refrigerator. Cost about 15 cents instead of a dollar 80. Taste just like it.

I like your Frappuccino idea. (Do you know what a pain in the rear it to spell that stupid word when Otto gets involved?)

I would probably use Taster’s Choice. Thanks for the idea. 

Yeah I used to use taster's choice, and then the price went up about $4 a jar overnight, so I switched to nescafe.

I told Allie about that, maybe 3 years back. She said that she liked those mocha frappuccinos and wished they were cheaper. And I knew she drank instant because that had come up in conversation a year or so earlier.

15 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Do you know what a pain in the rear it to spell that stupid word when Otto gets involved?)

I guess you got him trained. He didn't mess with it at all when I said it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I learned that from some folks in south Sacramento. South Sac is pretty darned ghetto. Trust me on this.
The folks in LA loved the name. Except for the white politically commie sucktards. They were not amused. Even less amused when I told them to shut up and get out of my shop. :lol: 

• Like 2