SASS Wire Forum

Flashlight preferences

Alpo

I have this light. 10,000 lumens. 12 volts. Bright as hell.

You push the button and you get this 10,000 lumen light. You push the button again, expecting it to go off, and it goes down to 5,000 lumens. You push the button again, hoping that it will now go off, and it becomes a strobe.

I guess I should consider myself lucky it only has those three light patterns, and doesn't also have different colored lights.

But if I turn the light on and I wish to turn it off I got to push the button three more times.

Do people like that?

I have a little pocket flashlight. Well, actually I've got a couple of dozen of them. Because they are so neat, and so inexpensive, that I just keep buying them and sticking them here and there and everywhere. And when you push the button the light comes on and when you push the button again the light goes off.

Boy that's nice.

I got an ad in my email this morning for a rechargeable pocket flashlight, that has a high beam and a low beam and a strobe. Why?

The other day I was trying to do something and I didn't want to disturb anybody, so I had my little pocket flashlight kept in my hand, and it was on but barely any light was creeping out through my fingers. Let me see what I was doing without disturbing anyone. The equivalent of turning this 500 lumen light into a 50 lumen light, without adding a separate switch.

And in all the years I've had that bright light, I have never felt a need for the strobe.

Logic says that the idiots that make flashlights put all these features in them because either the customers want them, or the idiots think the customers want them.

So do you want multi features in your flashlight? Or do you just want it to turn on and off and make light?

I like a flashlight (torch for those of you in Commonwealth nations) that turns on with one click and turn off with one click.  Years ago I got a 4 pack of cheap plastic flashlights, heck, might have been the "Free with any purchase" from Harbor Freight.  Maybe about 3 inches long, an inch in diameter.  Run on 3 triple A batteries...or is it 4.  Small enough that if I need two hands I can hold it in my mouth.  I've never needed the gollywog brighter-than-the-Sun $99.99, uses 18 D battery jobs.  

I have a light I found, one of the headband jobs, pivots one way, had the high beam, low, beam, and strobe.  I use it to see into the back corner of the closet.  I think the purpose of the low beam is so that if you are working in a small space and up close you don't get blinded by the 20,000,000 candle power main.  I've seen guys on bikes with a strobing headlamp like that.  So maybe the idea of the strobe is that if you are out walking in the dark along an unlit roadway the strobe will catch the attention of drivers and you are less likely to be hit while out walking in your all black clothing, in the dark, along an unlit roadway.

• Like 1

Strobes are 'tactical' 

Circuit boards are cheap and cob leds are cheaper now.

Edited by Texas Joker
  • Thanks 1

We have 5 of these flashlights.
[  ] Outside garage entry door
[  ] 2 at back porch
[  ] One on each side of our bed
[  ] In our RV

We primarily use them the most when we take our two girls outside at night to go to the bathroom.
High beam is first to come on which we use to search the backyard for critters that may harm them such as opossums, armadillos, raccoons and possible coyotes. :angry:
A simple click of the trigger will lower the beam for closer viewing as the girls "do their job". :blush:
The ones by the bed are there for possible intruder who may enter the bedroom whereby a quick grab of the flashlight and the immediate high beam should blind them, until you know what's next! :ph34r:

Snip-it_1712322509061.thumb.jpg.b98c0c42be79ca741cbb9348e45524fe.jpg

Is that a 3 cell flashlight in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

• Haha 1

https://www.amazon.com/Hatori-Flashlight-Battery-Powered-Emergency-Flashlights/dp/B072JGQ9R5?pd_rd_w=0JF2s&content-id=amzn1.sym.b854a5c2-4475-41f8-a6d4-df92b2868104&pf_rd_p=b854a5c2-4475-41f8-a6d4-df92b2868104&pf_rd_r=98YQY2WC8X9RE50KEJDX&pd_rd_wg=kWIkJ&pd_rd_r=d6e4c84c-46b4-4fce-bd4c-4233aa5ddc13&pd_rd_i=B072JGQ9R5&psc=1&ref_=pd_basp_m_rpt_ba_s_3_sc

Amazon says I bought this three times, so that means 12. It's one triple A. They claim it's 150 lumens. I stood in the middle of the street, and I could clearly see my front door. That's 30 to 40 ft.

And there's a little push button on the butt. Push it the light comes on, push it again and the light goes off.

Wonderful light.

• Like 1

5 Surefire including the first they produced when they were still Laser Products (it still works).  On a rural property with large dogs and various predators passing through the extra power is useful.  All but the first are rechargeable.

On 4/5/2024 at 7:32 AM, Alpo said:

You push the button and you get this 10,000 lumen light. You push the button again, expecting it to go off, and it goes down to 5,000 lumens. You push the button again, hoping that it will now go off, and it becomes a strobe.

I guess I should consider myself lucky it only has those three light patterns, and doesn't also have different colored lights.

But if I turn the light on and I wish to turn it off I got to push the button three more times.

Do people like that?

I have a little pocket flashlight. Well, actually I've got a couple of dozen of them. Because they are so neat, and so inexpensive, that I just keep buying them and sticking them here and there and everywhere. And when you push the button the light comes on and when you push the button again the light goes off.

Boy that's nice.

I got an ad in my email this morning for a rechargeable pocket flashlight, that has a high beam and a low beam and a strobe. Why?

The other day I was trying to do something and I didn't want to disturb anybody, so I had my little pocket flashlight kept in my hand, and it was on but barely any light was creeping out through my fingers. Let me see what I was doing without disturbing anyone. The equivalent of turning this 500 lumen light into a 50 lumen light, without adding a separate switch.

And in all the years I've had that bright light, I have never felt a need for the strobe.

Logic says that the idiots that make flashlights put all these features in them because either the customers want them, or the idiots think the customers want them.

So do you want multi features in your flashlight? Or do you just want it to turn on and off and make light?

If you want to get rich. Sell people something they don’t need by making them think they can’t live without it.   ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

If you want to get rich. Sell people something they don’t need by making them think they can’t live without it.   ;)

Busted. I just HAD to have one of those SureFire tactical flashlights. It burns through batteries faster than a prairie fire. :o

• Like 2

I bought a flashlight that was mega- bright,  bright, and strobe. The brand was Police Security for $10. Great light. Must have been on clearance because it wasn’t on their website and I never saw it selling again.

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Busted. I just HAD to have one of those SureFire tactical flashlights. It burns through batteries faster than a prairie fire. :o

Boy, those things do gobble batteries, BUT they would completely blind someone with it blazing into their eyes.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 8:32 AM, Alpo said:

Do people like that?

Boy that's nice.

I'm with you! I hate the ones that the sequence is opposite as well. Start with a strobe,3rd is normal, then off. I like on/off period. 

On 4/5/2024 at 8:32 AM, Alpo said:

No, I really hate that in a flashlight. 

I have converted completely to Olight. 
You turn it on by pushing a button on the top, under your thumb. To turn it off you click the button again. If you wish to change the brightness while it’s on just press and hold the button. 
They have other Olight lights with other ways of turning them on and off but none are as idiotic as the 4 clicks - High, Low, Flash, Off. 

Olight does have tactical lights that flash, but to make them flash you have to purposely double tap the On button quickly. It’s hard to accidentally set off the flash mode.