SASS Wire Forum

making a frozen lasagna

Alpo

I'm not talking about nuking the one from Stouffer's. I'm talking about making one, and then putting it in the freezer until you want lasagna one night, then taking it out and heating it up.

Which is better - put it together, freeze it. Take it out, thoughtTHAW IT out, and bake it.

Or, put it together, bake it, let it cool, and put it in the freezer. Then when you want it you just take it out and thoughtTHAW IT out and nuke it to warm it up.

I've been thinking cook it and freeze it, but in the book I am currently reading, they take it out of the freezer and bake it so apparently they freeze it raw.

I have never done it either way. I just think about it occasionally.

Edited by Alpo
otto apparently does not know the word thaw - point of fact, when I said it just now he wrote "for"

Half of one or six dozen of the other.....

wait....

Six of one, half dozen of the other....

Either way works.  And you can cook either one from frozen.

I prefer to bake, freeze, thaw and eat cold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I usually make two lasagnas (one to eat instantly and one to freeze) as it takes about the same amount of time and effort as making just one. The second one I bake to about 3/4, that it gets a light color. Then I let it cool down and put it to the freezer. If I want to eat it I put it to the fridge to thaw it for several hours. Beneficial side effect: you retrieve some of the freezing energy in your fridge. When fully unfreezed I put it in the oven to bake it to full color.

Edited by Equanimous Phil
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

My mom often made lasagna and usually made too much. She would freeze it then thaw it out for another day. I've bought already cooked lasagna at an Italian store nearby and heated it up for dinner. If I bought too much I'd freeze it and thaw it out another day.

Once you make a breadpan lasagna, you'll never make the regular kind unless you have a big group.  Perfect for 2 with leftovers for another meal.  Easy! I used to make a 30 plus pound lasagna for parties years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Prepare it as uaual, eat some, freeze some for later. Take it out of the freezer the night before, place in fridge until the next day. You'll probably have to add some sauce, the freezing, thawing cycle tends to dry it out a bit.

Good luck , Pard

On 3/18/2024 at 7:17 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My mom often made lasagna and usually made too much. 

Sorry, but there is no suchathing as too much lasagne.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

When I want lasagna I just go to Olive Garden and let them thaw it out.

Carrabba's is better, if you have one close by. 

my wife likes the make it - cool it - freeze it [in proper portions] - then reheat it , i like my wifes lasagna - its far superior to store bought and im not a pasta fan at all , 

im not even going to tell you what i think of things premade like staufers , the description would be similar to WWII soldiers descriptions of chow they didnt like or MREs ............yes it will fill you if you can gag it down , did i mention i dont like pasta ? now you know .............