SASS Wire Forum

Caitlin Clark, Asterisk Needed?

First off, not trying to take anything away from Caitlin's record.  But, when they compare scoring today with scoring from the 60s there is one BIG difference.  The 3 point play/score.

Pistol Pete played in the mid to late 60s and set the scoring record.  The 3 point play didn't come about '85 or '86, I believe.  So, all of his scoring were 2 pointers. 

I haven't heard any of the sportscasters mentioning this. 

Should there be something in the record books to highlight the difference?

Just one of those thoughts, 

BS

• Like 4

I'm not a basketball fan but you make a valid point!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Barry Sloe said:

Pistol Pete played in the mid to late 60s and set the scoring record.  The 3 point play didn't come about '85 or '86, I believe.  So, all of his scoring were 2 pointers. 

79-80.

records are made to be broken, too many asterisks already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I remember correctly, D 1 players were not allowed to play varsity ball as freshmen, at that time.  I'm pretty sure Maravich set the record in three years.

The Milwaukee Bucks refurbished our gym at Concordia College Milwaukee when I attended college there (1972-1974).  As payment, they practiced there, and out of town teams also had use of the facilities.  I got to watch Pete Maravich practice once.  I have never personally witnessed another human being with that shooting ability in my life. 

17 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

If I remember correctly, D 1 players were not allowed to play varsity ball as freshmen, at that time.  I'm pretty sure Maravich set the record in three years.

The Milwaukee Bucks refurbished our gym at Concordia College Milwaukee when I attended college there (1972-1974).  As payment, they practiced there, and out of town teams also had use of the facilities.  I got to watch Pete Maravich practice once.  I have never personally witnessed another human being with that shooting ability in my life. 

You are right about Freshman not playing varsity sports. I had a football scholarship to a major west coast university (i959 thru 1963) and I had to play freshman football. 

I remember when Babe Ruth's HR record was broke and they put an asterisk beside Roger Maris's 61 HR's. But not there anymore, even Hank Aarons record too. Her record is her record to stand until someone else breaks it......no asterisks please!

• Like 1

She's great but it in no way compares to what Maravich accomplished. He also did it , obviously? playing against men. As far as college basketball in general very few left school early to go to the pros. A lot of great players played as seniors in college. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All games "change" - conditions, equipment, circumstances - some change in ways that allow records to be broken easier i.e. older NFL passing records get surpassed regularly because the game has changed to be more pass happy/ added games, etc.

Other games change in way that won't allow certain records to ever be broken i.e. Nascar cup wins - Pettys record of 200 career wins will never be broken; not because of his skill - but the number of races in a season in so dramatically less than in his era - not enough opportunities in a career anymore.

And do we diminish records for achievement because todays competitor is bigger, stronger, faster, better nourished and better trained?

Maybe all of Babe Ruth and Ty Cobbs records should still stand because todays players dare to exercise and are not smoking in the dugout?

The competitor can only compete under the rules and conditions that exist during their efforts.

We won't say that the Winners at EoT 2028 don't count or require an asterisk because the match was different in 2025 - "The targets were further out, there were 4 SIX shotgun stages AND it was raining - so obviously the 2028 match doesn't count for as much" 

Recognize the achievement - don't denigrate the competitor because their accomplishments didn't occur under conditions they were not subject to.

Edited by Creeker, SASS #43022
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

She's great but it in no way compares to what Maravich accomplished. He also did it , obviously? playing against men. As far as college basketball in general very few left school early to go to the pros. A lot of great players played as seniors in college. 

He played against men as a 6' 5" man.  She played against women as a 6' 0" woman.  Some say that is a disadvantage to her.

I've watched most of the games this year, not the sports analysts.   The game commentators have mentioned multiple times that Pete made his record with 2 pointers.  Those same commentors have balanced that with Caitlin having 2.5x the number of assists that Pete had.  There are too many variables to bother with asterisks.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Thank you, but this is all I got.  :mellow:

We are discussing the biggest name in American basketball right now.  She broke the division 1 (biggest in NCAA) college career scoring record from the 1960s.  Best known for sinking 3pt shots from well past the line, "logo 3".  Here is an example of such.

Screenshot_20240305-142819_DuckDuckGo.jpg

14 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I’ve never known how much to tip a cow. Is it 15 or 20 percent? 

Never tipped one, but understand you first need to get very drunk before sneaking up on the wily sleeping cow before tipping it.

And on topic, recently watched a bit of a documentary on the change from shooting from the 2 point line to getting beyond it. Statistically, better to go a bit long for the extra point. The reality is an increase of 10% distance will reduce accuracy 10%, but increase point value 50%.

If a male had produced Caitlin Clarke's numbers would we even be having this conversation?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Men’s basketball and women’s basketball are two different games. She did great and kudos to her for having the women’s record. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Never tipped one, but understand you first need to get very drunk before sneaking up on the wily sleeping cow before tipping it.

And on topic, recently watched a bit of a documentary on the change from shooting from the 2 point line to getting beyond it. Statistically, better to go a bit long for the extra point. The reality is an increase of 10% distance will reduce accuracy 10%, but increase point value 50%.

But not so drunk that you dont know a cow from a bull.

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984
  • Haha 1

Recognize the achievement - don't denigrate the competitor because their accomplishments didn't occur under conditions they were not subject to.

Edited 7 hours ago by Creeker, SASS #43022

I recognize the achievement.  It's when they compare it to the previous achievment, both athletes subject to the rules of their time, and make it as if the new achievement is greater.  Of course she can only compete under the conditions of todays game but it's disingenuous to ignore the differences  they each faced.

• Like 1

I believe Pete averaged 39 shot attempts per game, and yes 2 pointers, but she only averages 18-19 shot attempts per game. She's one heck of a basketball player, period! I don't care whether it's a man or woman, she has the scoring record now. 

• Like 1

Nobody that I am aware of is taking anything away from Pistol Pete. He will always be recognized as one of the greatest to play the game. What they are doing is acknowledging that Ms. Clark has reached a very specific milestone in her college career. At the end of the day, one can throw out all of the "Yeah, buts" they want and it won't change the two basic facts I mentioned above. Congratulations to her for putting in the effort to make the most of the talent she was given.