SASS Wire Forum

Australian Canned Rabbit

Twice when I was in the Navy they served canned rabbit for dinner.  The bones were still in the meat. It was a nice change from the daily serving of canned roast beef dishes. We sometimes had roast beef 3 times a day. 
- I am not complaining here. Just stating a fact. After eating MREs for a few days, canned roast beef was a godsend comparatively. 

• Like 3

I was reading on Bailey's website, many many years ago. They don't use rabbit. They use South American hare. If their hat just says it's fur felt it's hare. But not rabbit.

I did not know the difference, but according to them there is one.

I'm glad I proof read.

otto said "if their hat just says it's FOR felt, it's HARD".

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Twice when I was in the Navy they served canned rabbit for dinner.  The bones were still in the meat. It was a nice change from the daily serving of canned roast beef dishes. We sometimes had roast beef 3 times a day. 
- I am not complaining here. Just stating a fact. After eating MREs for a few days, canned roast beef was a godsend comparatively. 

Better than eating bugs. Rabbit tastes like chicken.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Texas Jack Black said:

... tastes like chicken.

We in the US tend to think everything tastes like chicken.

When KFC opened its first restaurant in Australia, it offered free samples. The most common comment from Aborigines was that it tasted like snake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Texas Jack Black said:

Better than eating bugs. Rabbit tastes like chicken.

No it don't.  It tastes like rabbit.

Yuk.  

Admittedly, I yam jaded - literally lived on rabbit for an extended time in my teens.  Cooked one once for my son when he was in his early teens ~ he liked it.  I tried a taste.  Yuk.  :mellow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Kinda like me and Spam.  Grandfather had a couple of food stores.  After WWII rationing he was left with Spam that did not sell.  Dad was out of the military and in grad school, not a lot of spare money.  We got Spam, and I ate it in every possible configuration or recipe.  I can't get it past my nose after 7 decades.

• Like 2

My Mum used to cook apricot (nectar) rabbit in a crock pot for many many hours, it was incredibly good.

There's no way 'canned rabbit' would get past my lips.

• Like 4

I like rabbit.   Has a meaty, slightly gamey taste. Roasted with potatoes and onions,  breaded and fried, stewed.

I've had USDA canned pork and canned beef, commercially canned beef (producto de Argentina),  and we've been getting tins of canned chicken breast at the food bank.  Not the best,  but decent.  Can make some pretty darned good meals with it.   I  really enjoy the canned chicken for chicken salad.   I've sometimes used the beef or pork to make potted or deviled meat spread (I should try adding Vegemite to it....hmmmm). I don't see that tinned rabbit would be really all that different. 

• Like 2

Rabbit can become a habit if need be.

Edited by Texas Jack Black

19 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Kinda like me and Spam.  Grandfather had a couple of food stores.  After WWII rationing he was left with Spam that did not sell.  Dad was out of the military and in grad school, not a lot of spare money.  We got Spam, and I ate it in every possible configuration or recipe.  I can't get it past my nose after 7 decades.

Kind of like me and Spam. I will not eat it…ever. I’d eat grass first. I get a headache from someone frying it, same with fried baloney (balogna).

It was nearly 20 years before I could eat sliced roast beef. It was pretty much all we ate aboard ship. Canned roast beef. YUCK!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

Kind of like me and Spam. I will not eat it…ever. I’d eat grass first. I get a headache from someone frying it, same with fried baloney (balogna).

It was nearly 20 years before I could eat sliced roast beef. It was pretty much all we ate aboard ship. Canned roast beef. YUCK!

Ditto on the Span and baloney...you sure we ain't long lost brothers?:P

21 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

No it don't.  It tastes like rabbit.

Yuk.  

Admittedly, I yam jaded - literally lived on rabbit for an extended time in my teens.  Cooked one once for my son when he was in his early teens ~ he liked it.  I tried a taste.  Yuk.  :mellow:

Your comment makes me wonder what suppressed childhood traumas I might have with eggplant and okra. Yuk on both.

• Haha 1

On 3/4/2024 at 3:52 PM, Alpo said:

I was reading on Bailey's website, many many years ago. They don't use rabbit. They use South American hare. If their hat just says it's fur felt it's hare. But not rabbit.

I did not know the difference, but according to them there is one.

I'm glad I proof read.

otto said "if their hat just says it's FOR felt, it's HARD".

A hare might look very similar to a rabbit, but they are two very different species, with very different social structures.

Not the difference between a rabbit and a hare. The difference between rabbit fur and hare fur.

I started to say the difference between rabbit hair and hare hair. :D

• Haha 1

Underground mutton, love it...canned no thanks...gotta' put that rabbit in water overnight with some salt & vinegar ...the meat will go white & then ready to cook...I like it in a  crock pot  with apricot nectar....