SASS Wire Forum

how much ammo?

Alpo

You are evacuating. There is a hurricane, there is a tornado, there is a fire, there is a flood. Doesn't matter what. You are evacuating.

You have clothing and money and water and food and important documents.

And you have a gun.

How much ammunition did you bring?

Online story, and he mentions that he has a pistol. And it just brought that question to my mind.

With ten minutes, I grab two go bags. One has fifteen loaded magazines that fit my regular carry sidearm and there is a second, nearly identical handgun in that bag, along with four more boxes of ammunition, a second holster, and eye and ear protection.

The second bag holds ten loaded magazines that fit my personal long gun as well as two other long guns belonging to other members of my immediate family. That bag also holds a week’s worth of my medications, a small first aid kit, another thousand rounds of appropriate ammunition, and the tools to make fire. I will grab the long gun and sling it as I head out.

Important papers and financial documents are in a portable safe/container that is fire and water proof.

My truck is fueled, there are emergency tools, and it’s ready for duty.  

If I have more notice, I can move a MUCH larger amount of ordnance in under an hour’s time!

There are clothes and blankets in each of my vehicles. Food and water can be packed and transferred in a matter of minutes.

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me it would depend on why we’re evacuating. 
1. Train derailment: poison gas leak - Grab my favorite Glock (loaded) and 3 or 4 mags plus my S&W 442 (loaded) and a couple of speed loaders. 
2. Military Evac: Pick a reason. Can’t come up with one - favorite Glock, 442 and my PC Carbine and a dozen mags and a couple hundred rounds extra.

3. Weather related - See #1

I really can’t think of any other evac reasons. 

EDIT: What I take would totally depend on how we are evac’ing. Walking? See #1.

Driving? See #2.

Edited by Pat Riot

I’m actually an urban legend, a figment of some twisted imagination!  Reports of my existence are suspect and generally exaggerated!

Think of me in the same terms as Bigfoot, the chupacabra, and other such imaginary creatures!!  <_<

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I’m actually an urban legend, a figment of some twisted imagination!  Reports of my existence are suspect and generally exaggerated!

Think of me in the same terms as Bigfoot, the chupacabra, and other such imaginary creatures!!  <_<

That explains the smell :) 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

That explains the smell :) 

When we pull your chain, you flush! <_< :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

You keep guns and ammo AT YOUR HOUSE?

No. It’s underwater at a lake nearby. 

If I had to leave my home for any reason, I would want to make sure I could reclaim it from squatters when I returned.  Therefore no guns or ammunition would be left behind.

• Like 2

My bug out bag contains a S&W M19. I keep it loaded and 2 speedloaders with 38+P hollowpoints (it is a 2 1/2 " barrel). Also has about 25 rounds each of full house .357 Mag hollowpoints and about 25 rounds of general purpose 158 gr lead bullets at about 1100 fps, my old IPSC just make major load. Hopefully I'll never need it and that will be enough to service.

Some years ago there was a big house/shop fire some 300 yards north of my house, across a dinky little road. Dead of winter, dry as a popcorn fart, and a 35-40mph north wind. If the fire got loose and jumped the road it would have been in my backyard in like 2 minutes. Just about how long it would take to get the bug out bag and the dogs in my pickup and haul butt. Thankfully the gallant Clyde Volunteer Fire Dept. kept it under control.

But it was a scary few minutes. I sat in my truck and watched until I was comfortable that the danger was past.

JHC

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

If I had to leave my home for any reason, I would want to make sure I could reclaim it from squatters when I returned.  Therefore no guns or ammunition would be left behind.

I don't know about you, but that would be about a 2 hr operation for me. And I'd probably need my trailer which is on our farm 50 miles away!

JHC :P

• Thanks 2

Fast bug out:

1911, six loaded magazines, belt holster on the righe, mags in back

Ithaca 37 pump 12 gauge with 5 in the mag in my hands and a bandoleer with 25 more.

Winchester mod 95 with 5 rounds of .30 U. S. Krag in the mag on a sling and 40 in  cartridge belt. 

Two medium sized belt knives, one 4" double edge dirk in a shoulder rig and four various size folding knives (one a side lever switch blade).

I can't carry much more than that in the way of weapons.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Fast bug out:

1911, six loaded magazines, belt holster on the righe, mags in back

Ithaca 37 pump 12 gauge with 5 in the mag in my hands and a bandoleer with 25 more.

Winchester mod 95 with 5 rounds of .30 U. S. Krag in the mag on a sling and 40 in  cartridge belt. 

Two medium sized belt knives, one 4" double edge dirk in a shoulder rig and four various size folding knives (one a side lever switch blade).

I can't carry much more than that in the way of weapons.

Cop pulls a little old lady over for going a little fast. She hands him her DL and LTC. He asks if she is carrying, Yes. Glock 43 in my purse....Is that all?...No, .45 auto under the seat......Is that all.....No, Remington 870 in the back floor and a Mini 14 in the trunk.........Lady, what are you afraid of?.......Not a d*mned thing!

JHC:lol:

12 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

No.   Most of it is at the bottom of a lake where I had a boating accident.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

1911, six loaded magazines

Six-pack, or three dual pouches?

10 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Cop pulls a little old lady over for going a little fast. She hands him her DL and LTC. He asks if she is carrying, Yes. Glock 43 in my purse....Is that all?...No, .45 auto under the seat......Is that all.....No, Remington 870 in the back floor and a Mini 14 in the trunk.........Lady, what are you afraid of?.......Not a d*mned thing!

JHC:lol:

So true...and fairly common in my part of Arizona.  There are a  a lot of ladies in my circle of friends who carry at least one handgun with them everywhere they go and a bunch who have more stashed around their vehicles and homes and even in their places of business.  A higher percentage of men carry than women.

If I'm very vigilant I can usually spot a concealed gun on about one person out ten or eleven, and probably an equal number (or more) are carrying and I can't spot it

Although a CCW is not required (in Arizona we can carry openly or concealed without one) I have one becauseI can buy a gun without a background check, and because I have only been stopped twice in eight years by the police. I alway show my driver's license, registration , insurance card, and CCW card.  One of the officers asked me why and I told him very frankly that I just didn't want any surprises.  He said he didn't either.  Both thanked me for showing it.

Yeah, I know, I'm on someone's list.  :rolleyes:  That's a BS excuse.  Hell, I've been on someone's list...maybe lots and lots of someones...since the fifteenth of March nineteen forty two.  Maybe even earlier because someone was certain to know Mom was pregnant before that.

I'll deal with that if and when it gets to be an issue.  I won't lose much time worrying about it before that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Nope, I don't have any guns or ammo. I lost it all in a boating accident.

TM

11 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

So true...and fairly common in my part of Arizona.  There are a  a lot of ladies in my circle of friends who carry at least one handgun with them everywhere they go and a bunch who have more stashed around their vehicles and homes and even in their places of business.  A higher percentage of men carry than women.

If I'm very vigilant I can usually spot a concealed gun on about one person out ten or eleven, and probably an equal number (or more) are carrying and I can't spot it

Although a CCW is not required (in Arizona we can carry openly or concealed without one) I have one becauseI can buy a gun without a background check, and because I have only been stopped twice in eight years by the police. I alway show my driver's license, registration , insurance card, and CCW card.  One of the officers asked me why and I told him very frankly that I just didn't want any surprises.  He said he didn't either.  Both thanked me for showing it.

Yeah, I know, I'm on someone's list.  :rolleyes:  That's a BS excuse.  Hell, I've been on someone's list...maybe lots and lots of someones...since the fifteenth of March nineteen forty two.  Maybe even earlier because someone was certain to know Mom was pregnant before that.

I'll deal with that if and when it gets to be an issue.  I won't lose much time worrying about it before that.

Texas requires you to show your chl with your license if pulled over by the police.

TM