SASS Wire Forum

reindeer meat

My daughter and her husband returned from Finnland (went to se the Northern Lights) and brought me some canned reindeer meat.

After several days of fiddling around on the internet I have not found a simple recipe for this stuff, and she told me they ate it and it is delicious........but she didn't have a clue how it was prepared.

Any Finns out there or anyone with a recipe that uses ingredients I can get here?

11 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Is the can big like you might find canned hams or small like a cat food can?

It's about the size of a small can of corned beef hash or baked beans, 210g / 8.5 oz.  The brand is Riipi sen and I can only find one source on the net for over $23.00, and they can't ship it to the USA.

At that price I doubt I'll ever buy any on my own, but I'd like to try it.

35 minutes ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

I searched the following and brought up dozens of hits. canned reindeer meat recipes: canned reindeer meat recipes

I found a bunch, too, but not one that didn't require ingredients that are scarce or very expensive.  I have lingon berry jam and not any of the others

I wasn't able to find much on it.  Supposedly much milder than elk or other venison.   

Keep in mind that the meat has been pressure cooked in the can, like bully beef.

A bill of materials for a stew:

Ingredients

• Shredded reindeer meat - 400g
  • Bacon - 150g
  • Butter for frying - 2 tbsp
  • Fresh mushrooms - 250g
  • Dried thyme - 1/2 tsp
  • Water - 100ml
  • Sour cream - 300ml
  • Milk - 100ml
  • Juniper berries, crushed - 5
  • Ektegeitost (a type of sweet brown goat cheese) - 3 slices

If there is a Whole Foods near you I would suggest go there and see if they have that cheese, or can suggest a close substitute.

Chop the bacon, quarter the mushrooms.  Melt the butter in a skillet, render the bacon, add the mushrooms, cook a few minutes, scoop them into a pot.   Brown the meat, add to pot with mushrooms.

Wipe out the pan, use the other ingredients to make a sauce, adding the cheese after the sauce comes together.

Add sauce to meat and mushrooms, heat through.

Edited by Subdeacon Joe

Check these out

https://finnishheritage.info/finnish-recipes/tender-and-flavorful-poronkaristys-sauteed-reindeer-recipe/

https://travelfoodatlas.com/norwegian-finnbiff-recipe-reindeer-stew

Jees, what a PITA! These were the only two I didn’t have trouble with. Nearly all the sites I looked at with reindeer meat recipes either locked up or went haywire while I viewed them. 

Good luck Forty Rod. Tell us how you like it when you try it. 

21 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Why not use a regular deer meat recipe 

That would be too easy!

Sam Sackett 

• Haha 1

FORTY!!

Look up Robert Irvine’s recipe for Caribou Stew!

It’s set up to cook a pound of meat, so I’d half the other ingredients and maybe cook down the veggies and spices a bit before adding the meat!

The recipe sounds delicious and there’s nothing too obscure in the ingredients!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Check these out

https://finnishheritage.info/finnish-recipes/tender-and-flavorful-poronkaristys-sauteed-reindeer-recipe/

https://travelfoodatlas.com/norwegian-finnbiff-recipe-reindeer-stew

Jees, what a PITA! These were the only two I didn’t have trouble with. Nearly all the sites I looked at with reindeer meat recipes either locked up or went haywire while I viewed them. 

Good luck Forty Rod. Tell us how you like it when you try it. 

The first one on the top one looks good and I have all but one of the ingredients.  I'll give it a try this week and get back to you all.

Thanks.

• Like 3

Had venison Manhattans last night with garlic mashed potatoes. Most excellent. Slow cooked roast. Your meat would be really good in that.

8 hours ago, Outlaw Gambler said:

Santa's going to be pi$$ed and you all will be on his naughty list. B)

1 hour ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Perhaps this fella would know….

He can make chocolate moose.

Remember: Dasher and Dancer, Prancer and Blitzen, Comet and Cupid, and Donner and Venison.

• Haha 1