SASS Wire Forum

Land line phones

I need some help.  I recently bought a land line phone with three remotes and I'm having some "old age related issues".

The controls were designed by some geek (or several) and are in no way ergonomic nor even easy to understand.

I want to find something that has easy to understand instructions in plain old 1950s era English.

I want large easy to read controls and screen.

I don't want to be forced to use a code to access any function whatsodamned ever.

I'm looking fir simplicity and usabilty and could not possibly care less about "gee whiz" features.

And I don't want to spend a college semester's tuition to to get it.

What are the recommendatiins from the experts on this site?

Thanks.

4TRD

we disconnected the majority of land lines here years ago , we still have one land line here - its attached to my wife's business and is connected to her fax/answer machine - both old tech , im not at all certain why its still here we dont use it for anything anymore that i can see , i think its connected to our internet - or maybe im imagining that connection , either way im not at ann sure what you speak of with reference to a screen - thats our mobile units that we both use daily , not sure why anyone would want a landline anymore really , i dont think i could make a call from ours today as i dont know how to disconnect it from the fax/message machine , 

I've got an older version of this:image.thumb.png.e924697f8eacaf63996983204fc037fe.png

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Panasonic-3-Handset-Expandable-Cordless-Phone-System-with-Answering-System-KX-TG3833M/414606497?athbdg=L1600&from=/search

Easy to operate and set up. Has an answering set up in the main base. The one I have uses off the shelf rechargeable AA batteries.

Edited by Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770
  • Like 1

i notice you dont show the rotary diel - but then im near certain those arent around anymore - my folks had one of those old wooden boxes with the crank handle in our basement that actually was an antique back then but it was hooked up and worked in the 60s - you could answer the call if you heard it ring upstairs 

• Like 1

watchin an old movie reminded me of this thread - the old standup phone with the earpiece you picked up on a cord to hold to your ear  , "give me richmond 2034 , lieutenant richie" yes , my grandparents had that phone till they got that newfangled one that had the rotary dial - still had the party line and had to dial "0" for the operator to place a call , later the rotary dial worked tho , 

i remember those days - our number was colfax 6 0397 , hope that dont cause anyone a problem but i suspect most younger than i would not know how to decipher that into todays nomenclature , my mother had that number till she died , im certain ill never forget that , i memorized it when i went to kindergarten , its what we did back then , 

21 hours ago, watab kid said:

we disconnected the majority of land lines here years ago , we still have one land line here - its attached to my wife's business and is connected to her fax/answer machine - both old tech , im not at all certain why its still here we dont use it for anything anymore that i can see , i think its connected to our internet - or maybe im imagining that connection , either way im not at ann sure what you speak of with reference to a screen - thats our mobile units that we both use daily , not sure why anyone would want a landline anymore really , i dont think i could make a call from ours today as i dont know how to disconnect it from the fax/message machine , 

I want one because I've suddenly been through four (that's 4) cell phones: two Cricket Lively, one Consumer Cellular, and one T-Mobile) that aren't worth a pinch of puppy poop.

I'll keep the T-Mobile for emergencies but I want a land line for personal calls from people I want to talk to.  If I don't recognize the number or name it gets dumped.

Whatever.  You go to your church and I'll go to mine. :D

Edited by Forty Rod SASS 3935
  • Like 1

We have no cell signal on the ranch, ex with WIFI from the router, and I don't use cell phones.  I have a Panasonic KTX 44 or 45.  Good and reasonably simple.  The handshake between landline and cell can be an issue if like many long time shooters, you have hearing issues.  I may have to get one that has a speech / text screen at some point.  So far, it works pretty well.

We finally ditched the land line.  The only people who ever used it was Medicare Advantage sales people and Donald Trump.  Everybody else called us on our cell phones.  T mobile ran 5G home internet close to the house so I was able to ditch the DSL internet and go with T mobile.  20 megs vs. 300+ megs for less money.  I'm leaping into the 21st century.  

55 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

We finally ditched the land line.  The only people who ever used it was Medicare Advantage sales people and Donald Trump.  Everybody else called us on our cell phones. 

I don't give anybody my cell phone number. When I'm at home, I use the landline. My cell phone sits on my dresser in my bedroom. I don't need it at home because I HAVE a landline.  The only people that need to get ahold of me when I'm not home are my wife or daughter. Everything and everybody else can wait until I get home. 

Getting to 40’s problem, ignoring everyone else’s gripes.

you have a base unit and 3 remotes. With charger units? Do any of them work out of the box? It’s been a few years since I did any of this so I’m just assuming that I might still know something, I know big mistake,

On 1/30/2024 at 9:55 PM, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I've got an older version of this:image.thumb.png.e924697f8eacaf63996983204fc037fe.png

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Panasonic-3-Handset-Expandable-Cordless-Phone-System-with-Answering-System-KX-TG3833M/414606497?athbdg=L1600&from=/search

Easy to operate and set up. Has an answering set up in the main base. The one I have uses off the shelf rechargeable AA batteries.

Getting closer.  I didn't mention that I wanted wireless phones, but I do.

Thanks.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 12:17 AM, watab kid said:

watchin an old movie reminded me of this thread - the old standup phone with the earpiece you picked up on a cord to hold to your ear  , "give me richmond 2034 , lieutenant richie" yes , my grandparents had that phone till they got that newfangled one that had the rotary dial - still had the party line and had to dial "0" for the operator to place a call , later the rotary dial worked tho , 

i remember those days - our number was colfax 6 0397 , hope that dont cause anyone a problem but i suspect most younger than i would not know how to decipher that into todays nomenclature , my mother had that number till she died , im certain ill never forget that , i memorized it when i went to kindergarten , its what we did back then , 

Our phone was an operator type and our number was 343B (Party line).  Operators were Miss Sally, Miss Luella, and Miss Rebecca....usually.

Our first dial phone  (about 1961) was SKyline 2- 2174, then Sk 2-2174, finally 742-2174.  The 801 area code was still in use until after Mom died and then changed to 435.

We were gonna get rid of ours a while back. Most of our bill is internet service and the crapload of fees . If we dropped the landline the other stuff was going to go up, and it would only save us like $4 a month, so it was like bag it, might as well keep it for the difference.

JHC

I get everyone to call me on my cell phone.  I have it paired to my hearing aids so that the sound comes directly to both ears (stereo) loud and clear and I talk into it like a 2 way radio mic.  I have a hard time hearing from a land line as the sound only comes in one ear.  I'm outside a lot, so my phone is always right there.

A couple of years ago, some deranged dumbass blew up Second Avenue down in Nashville.  One of the major hubs for cell communication is on Second Avenue and it was damaged by the blast.

Cell phones were out for a couple of days, but our land line continued to function. Not as well as usual, but we could still get in touch with our folks who had land lines and had some access to the internet.

Reckon I’ll be keeping the old land line a little while longer!

18 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Getting to 40’s problem, ignoring everyone else’s gripes.

you have a base unit and 3 remotes. With charger units? Do any of them work out of the box? It’s been a few years since I did any of this so I’m just assuming that I might still know something, I know big mistake,

One base station and three charger bases for the remotes.  Range is about a quarter of a mile. I can buy three more remotes.

My gripe is poor ergonomics and lousy instructions.

When we moved to Dead Broke Ranch in Jan 2013 (retired so skedaddled out of Kommiefornia) we kept our iPhones & 925 pre fix phone numbers as well as Verizon because they have the best signal coverage in Fallon.  At the time the neighbor who was retired & looked out for security of neighbor's property was old school & didn't pay for long distance service asked that week get a landline.  When he moved away to vagabond visiting old friends he made when cowboying all over the west we dropped the land line.  We kept the DSL internet service.  The copper cable between the fiber to copper box two miles away was degrading the local phone co. installed fiber in our street to the fiber in the main cross street & they sent postcards to all the residents on the streets where fiber was installed announcing that if you signup for fiber service running fiber to you house would be free even if you didn't have copper run in flexible plastic conduit.  The run to the box on the house is 1,200 ft. from the connection box on the street.  Needless to say I signed up online for TV/internet bundled service that.  Besides being cheaper than Direct TV plus DSL. internet speeds are faster than the LAN speeds at the co. when I retired on 12/31/2012.  Also, no more pix-elating watching TV during weather or I can also watch streaming services.

We had a storm and my electronic stuff completely failed unfortunately for me. I suffered a heart attack but my land line phone worked and I'm still alive.

I wanted to drop it and canceled it. My sons are very tech conscious but wanted me to have a landline for safety and put mine back in on their account so I couldn't cancel it.

Now, I'm shooting as an El Rey instead of a dim memory

On 1/30/2024 at 8:44 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I need some help.  I recently bought a land line phone with three remotes and I'm having some "old age related issues".

4TRD

Hey Forty, post a link to the setup you have. Maybe somebody here can help you through it that way.