SASS Wire Forum

additional insights for Skinny's Soapbox about a printed Chronicle

I read today in my Jan 2024 Chronicle the editorial from Skinny about the printed Chronicles having 4 times the readership.

It is very simple--a printed issue is always "on" and if left out can be easily accessed. Like on your desk at work when you should be working.

It can be carried to work and read at lunch--something you cannot easily do on a PC at work.

It can be read while using the PC for other tasks such as listening to a web cast or boring training class at work.

It can be read instead of working.

Most people use PC's for work and a hand held magazine is a break from work.

People who dress up like people from the 1880's probably prefer traditional methods of reading as well when they are not working or portraying 1880's workers :)

On the other hand---the boss might not know you are not working if it was online....unless there was a rule about firearms related material on your work PC....   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I prefer the printed for my shear convenience. I find no pleasure sitting in front of a computer for a long time trying to read a magazine. I keep the printed copy on my side table where I can pick it up during a TV commercial or just sipping a beverage. The phone isn't even worth trying! I really miss the old newspaper version that seemed have a lot more DIY articles. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

i also prefer the printed and after i read what i get i take it to the gun range for the coffee table - a lot of other fplks get to see it that way too , most are not SASS shooters yet - hopefully some will consider it , passive recruiting so to speak , 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i also prefer the printed and after i read what i get i take it to the gun range for the coffee table - a lot of other fplks get to see it that way too , most are not SASS shooters yet - hopefully some will consider it , passive recruiting so to speak , 

That's how found out about CAS. The newspaper version on the ready room table.

• Like 2

Yep, prefer the printed version.

Used to read them cover-to-cover.

Don't read the digital version much.

Used to collect paper versions and give them out to prospective new shooters.
Paper version was better, IMHO

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

That's how found out about CAS. The newspaper version on the ready room table.

been having a lot of folks thumb through my copy of all ages as have a lot of high schools that shoot trap at our range for school , its getting a lot of views , not sure how many get interested enough to look into it but ive given some contacts out and recommended they check out GCG range and talk to folks there as its close enough to do that , hopefully they will recruit a few 

• Like 4

Another vote for a printed version.  Side note; that is how I got into this game.  I picked up a copy of the Chronicle, back in 2000, and thought, "That looks like fun!"  It is.  I jumped in, and got bit.

Bring back the printed version, please.  It's a valuable marketing tool.

Cheers,

FJT

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the above desire to have the printed version back available. I do know that cost plays a big part in going digital and probably the main reason for going the way it has. If the printed version were available again, maybe when you renew your membership, you could opt for the printed version and pay a little more in dues to make up the cost to print them. Just an idea as I do know a lot of folks that would pay extra to have a hands-on copy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Frederick Jackson Turner said:

Another vote for a printed version.  Side note; that is how I got into this game.  I picked up a copy of the Chronicle, back in 2000, and thought, "That looks like fun!"  It is.  I jumped in, and got bit.

Bring back the printed version, please.  It's a valuable marketing tool.

Cheers,

FJT

That the year I came across a Chronicle too! The rest is history!

• Like 1

Does anyone read the new shiny chronical? There was something about the old newspaper format that made folks want to pick it up. It was different not just a shiny magazine. Until there is a substantial increase of membership, advertisers won't pay for ads, which is what should be paying for the chronical.

• Like 3

When SASS membership was booming it was financially feasible for a monthly newspaper.  With membership decline (and minimal article submissions from the membership), costs have to be cut for SASS to remain viable.  SASS reduced staff, stop leasing Founder’s Range, exchange high rent for low cost ownership for office space and etc.  

If my memory serves me correctly, the Chronicle went from quarterly to monthly to fully online digital to the current offering.  When revenues decline and with Brandon’s inflation a business (yes SASS is a business) must increase efficiency and reduce operating costs to remain in business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I too preferred and enjoyed the monthly printed Chronicle, it's pretty obvious that newspapers and magazines of all kinds are on a massive downward spiral.  Many have already ceased to exist and this trend will most probably continue.  SASS is no different and I'm sure the decision was made to abandon the printed issues and move to an online format, due to financial issues.  While it was indeed a good marketing tool for our sport, SASS had to make a tough decision and we the membership need to accept that things do indeed change.  If I remember correctly, there was quite an outcry when this first happened and I can understand that, but it's old news and a moot point now.  Good luck and good shooting to all.       

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Bison Bud said:

While I too preferred and enjoyed the monthly printed Chronicle, it's pretty obvious that newspapers and magazines of all kinds are on a massive downward spiral.  Many have already ceased to exist and this trend will most probably continue.  SASS is no different and I'm sure the decision was made to abandon the printed issues and move to an online format, due to financial issues.  While it was indeed a good marketing tool for our sport, SASS had to make a tough decision and we the membership need to accept that things do indeed change.  If I remember correctly, there was quite an outcry when this first happened and I can understand that, but it's old news and a moot point now.  Good luck and good shooting to all.       

It is actually current news because I read about it in the Chronicle yesterday:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sandhills Dude said:

Pull it up on computer 

Hit print 

I do this with what I want to keep 

Not everyone owns a printer. Folks that signed up for life memberships years ago assumed  they'd get their Chronical in print form. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Sandhills Dude said:

Pull it up on computer 

Hit print 

I do this with what I want to keep 

Too much ink involved at home... gets pricey.

If I use the printer at work I'll get fired.

I'd have never read a Louis L'Amour if it wasn't a PAPERback.

I don't read the online version of the Chronicle, I wait for the printed magazine and read it front to back.