SASS Wire Forum

Silence, I say!

Dead_Air_Odessa-9-00.thumb.jpg.caf1e0f8777ae642d7403a6973d4168b.jpg

O.K.
I'm a glutton for impatience and aggravation. 
I want a suppressed firearm.
I know the process is a lengthy one, some 236 to 270 days depending on how you file.
I also understand federal bureaucracy in not wanting me to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights.
This is where you'll come in.

1. What is the best caliber to suppress?
2. Which firearm would you recommend?
3. Looking for the combo above that would generate the lowest decibel sound.
4. And if you have a suggestion for the brand of suppressor that works with your recommended combo.

I will research each of your choices and get back to this thread with my decision.

--------'

And yes, I know they don't silence the firearm like in Hollyweird.

• Like 2

The quietest one I've seen is a CZ .22 LR bolt action rifle with a threaded barrel and subsonic ammo.  I don't know the brand of the suppressor but it wasn't that large.  You could literally hear the firing pin snap the cartridge.  

Getting a suppressor to work on many semi auto pistols is a challenge due to the added weight of the suppressor.  If the barrel is fixed, it's a lot easier.  

• Thanks 1

I would get a Ruger Mark 4 .22 LR with the threaded muzzle.  My favorite gun store will take care of the suppressor paperwork for the suppressors they sell.  They claim everything gets done in a few weeks.

I have been on their indoor range when that combination was being fired in the lane next to me.  All I heard was the "click-click" of the slide cycling.  Sweet!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

The quietest one I've seen is a CZ .22 LR bolt action rifle with a threaded barrel and subsonic ammo.  I don't know the brand of the suppressor but it wasn't that large.  You could literally hear the firing pin snap the cartridge.  

Getting a suppressor to work on many semi auto pistols is a challenge due to the added weight of the suppressor.  If the barrel is fixed, it's a lot easier.  

Thanks; however, not looking for a rifle or shotgun.

Whatcha using it for?

Don't have a suppressor, but have done a little research myself. One thing I considered: 

The speed of sound is a factor in suppressing a firearm, you're limiting bullet velocity to at or below 1000 fps-ish (not going to quibble over precise speed of sound). So . . . if you're considering any kind of defensive use, a 230 grain .452 diameter bullet is going to have several advantages over a 147 grain .355 diameter bullet going the same velocity, even more so over a 40 grain .223 diameter bullet.

Before you lay down the money on that one, have you ever shot a 22/45?

I bought one, years and years back, because I like Ruger 22 automatic pistols and this one was supposed to feel like a 45.

It didn't. I kept it about a year before I sold it, and since I keep guns forever, that says something about my feelings for that model.

I suggest you borrow one or find a range that's got one to rent and shoot it a while to see if you like the way it feels before you drop the money on a silenced version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have been shooting a standard Ruger Mark 4 in Steel Challenge off and on for a while, and my accuracy dropped as my speed improved. I figured out it was the grip angle and I figured out the angle on the 22/45 is much better.

Agree you should try to find a place to rent and shoot it before buying.

That said, whether standard Mark 4 or the 22/45, or any 9mm or other option... When you combine subsonic ammo with a can, you might find yourself sorting out all sorts of issues with recoil springs or other aspects of the platform. Incuding dumb stuff like the can blocking your sights.

That all said, I do have a ruger 22/45 on my short buy list.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I suggest you borrow one or find a range that's got one to rent and shoot it a while to see if you like the way it feels before you drop the money on a silenced version.

That’s good advice. Rent the 22/45 and then the Mk IV. Personally, I like the grip of the 22/45 much better than the weird grip angle of the Mk IV. 

Another option is KelTec pistols. I have a KelTec CP33 that I am planning to get a silencer for. I have it set up like a Cheek Gun. 
It’s fast and accurate and fun. ;)
image.thumb.jpeg.d8b9b52f7463c445b3916cd6dc3f0adc.jpeg

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/the-cheek-pistol-lets-get-weird/

Now, here comes the whine…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Pat Riot,

Kind of "Cheeky" indeed. :P
However, I don't see myself shooting a pistol in that manner. :blush:

Snip-it_1705839385795.thumb.jpg.73cca29ede6ccf06b1a54b010d0dc7f6.jpg

The Kel-Tec CP33 has a 5.5" barrel for a 10.6" overall length, and weighs 1.5 lbs. Both are on the high end of what I would be looking for.
The Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite has a 4.40" barrel for an 8.5" overall length, and weighs 33.3 ounces.
I do like the CP's 33 round, double stack, magazine capacity versus the 10+1 of the Mark IV.
Kel-Tec is a reputable brand as is the Ruger.

Thanks for the input. 

Much appreciated. ;)

Edited by Father Kit Cool Gun Garth
  • Like 1

@Alpo,

Would you explain for me the "feel of a 45" that you alluded to.
I'm not looking for a lot of recoil, or the power of a muscle car, if that's what the 45 refers to.
I will definitely try out any new pistol that I end up considering, as you suggested.
Appreciate the input. ;)
Not only helps me, but others who would be considering such a decision. :)

When Ruger came out with the 22/45, the advertised it is having the feel of a 45. The grip had the same size, the same angle, the controls were in the same place. You can shoot this gun and get the practice of shooting a 1911.

So I bought one. It did not have the same grip size. It did not have the same grip angle. And the controls, while they might have been in the same place, did not feel the same.

And - and this was a killer for me. Don't know if they still do this or if it was just that one year or what - it had a polymer frame. The first and last plastic gun I ever bought. It did not feel right. To me. That's a big thing. It did not feel right TO ME.

You get a Colt double action revolver and you get toA Smith and Wesson double action revolver, and you hadHAND one to somebody who is experienced with guns who is wearing a blindfold and he can tell you which is which, because they feel different.

When I first started Cowboy I bought 4¾" guns. Because. I soon sold them. They did not feel right. I shoot, mostly, 5½" guns. They feel better.

Plow handle guns feel different from bisleys. Ruger bisleys feel different from Colt bisleys.

So no, I was not speaking of the recoil or the power. Simply the way that it felt in my hand.

I suppose if you buy the gun, with a threaded muzzle, and you buy a separate can, and you decide you don't like the way the gun feels, you can keep the can and sell the gun and get a new gun. But if the gun and the can are together (like mine)

RugerMarkII22Silenced.jpg.0a1dd127021e026ef6476f24f9e64992.jpg

you're going to have a lot of money tied up in that gun and if you don't like the way it fits your hand you're going to lose a lot of money selling it.

Edited by Alpo
otto
  • Thanks 1

@Alpo,

Thanks for the clarification.
Having never shot a 45 it wouldn't make a difference to me.
I understand needing to feel the firearm in my hand and shooting it.
As for the "can", I'm only interested in purchasing it separate from whatever firearm I decide to get.
The reason for the search for a new firearm is I have none with a threaded barrel.
The RUGER® SILENT-SR®, features a standard 1/2"-28 thread pattern for compatibility with most threaded rimfire firearms.

4 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

@Pat Riot,

Kind of "Cheeky" indeed. :P
However, I don't see myself shooting a pistol in that manner. :blush:

Snip-it_1705839385795.thumb.jpg.73cca29ede6ccf06b1a54b010d0dc7f6.jpg

The Kel-Tec CP33 has a 5.5" barrel for a 10.6" overall length, and weighs 1.5 lbs. Both are on the high end of what I would be looking for.
The Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite has a 4.40" barrel for an 8.5" overall length, and weighs 33.3 ounces.
I do like the CP's 33 round, double stack, magazine capacity versus the 10+1 of the Mark IV.
Kel-Tec is a reputable brand as is the Ruger.

Thanks for the input. 

Much appreciated. ;)

Believe it or not this way of shooting is strangely very accurate. 

22 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Believe it or not this way of shooting is strangely very accurate. 

So I've read. :)

• Like 1

The S&W 422 and 622 have fixed barrels and only need a thread adapter that replaces the barrel bushing/nut.  Accurate guns.  They were discontinued in  1996, I think, but still can be found at decent prices.

I have this one and a Ruger Silent SR, can't go wrong with that combination.

S&W 622 2.JPG

• Thanks 1

While I continue my search for a threaded- barrel 22lr firearm and suppressor, thought you might enjoy this take on extremism. :D

Snip-it_1706117803779.thumb.jpg.7e70a7459e2ba9e52f92fc1a74b7081f.jpg

Possible alternative choice. :rolleyes:

Snip-it_1706117262574.thumb.jpg.4ec6ec73e2e047bc5d6844ede4ee9a8f.jpg

Anyone have either one? 

i know there are a lot of opinions out there of what would be best for you , but may i suggest that you get together with someone that actually carries these products and has access to the various guns they fit that might ;let you try them out in person , 

i have a bunch of friends  that have given me that opportunity in the past and ill not be recommending my choice as i find this to truly personal , unless of course you want to buy a whole bunch - i got the impression you wanted one , i do as well and am still looking and thinking , 

if you have a specific gun in mind it will simplify a lot if your wide open like me your going to spend some time , like me , i do have a couple handguns and rifles that are suppressor ready but ive not decided where im going yet 

came back to add that if you want to talk to someone that is "the guy" i was talking about PM me , i dnt have his permission to post his contact on any forum because ive not asked for it , but i can give it privately 

Edited by watab kid
  • Thanks 1

I don't think I'd worry too much about the gun. Buy brand X if you don't like it sell it and try brand Y, easy to do. I'd worry about getting the right suppressor, that is not easy to change out if you don't like it. I asked about .22 suppressors and got this reply.

If you want strictly 22LR

SilencerCo Sparrow
Rugged Mustang

If you want variety, 22LR, 17HMR, 22mag, 5.7

Rugged Oculus
SilencerCo Switchback
Rex Silentium MG22
Otter Creek Labs Titanium 22
Edited by Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, watab kid said:

i know there are a lot of opinions out there of what would be best for you , but may i suggest that you get together with someone that actually carries these products and has access to the various guns they fit that might ;let you try them out in person , 

My issue right now is having called several of the LGS and Big Box Stores [Sportsmans Warehouse, etc.] none of them have the firearms I am interested in trying.

12 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

My issue right now is having called several of the LGS and Big Box Stores [Sportsmans Warehouse, etc.] none of them have the firearms I am interested in trying.

ok , that does make it harder , there are so many to choose from it also gets a bit muddled up , i guesss i got the impression that you just wanted something suppressed and by your initial questions you were open to all possibilities , what are you looking for ? 

@watab kid,

I originally posted for suggestions from Pards who may have already purchased a 22cal with a suppressor, and what they found to be a good match.
My original search via the internet entailed asking the same question.
Eventually I honed in on the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite, but am open to others.
If a LGS carried one that I could at least try and I didn't like it,  I would further my search.

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

@watab kid,

I originally posted for suggestions from Pards who may have already purchased a 22cal with a suppressor, and what they found to be a good match.
If a LGS carried one that I could at least try and I didn't like it,  I would further my search.

The Ruger is a good setup. 

Do plan on way more detailed internal cleaning from the carbon buildup.

• Like 1

@The Original Lumpy Gritz,

• Simple, one-button takedown for quick and easy field-stripping and proper chamber-to-muzzle cleaning. Pressing a button in the back of the frame allows the barrel-receiver assembly to tilt up and off the grip frame without the use of tools.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

@watab kid,

i did get to shoot one of those a while back - like 6-7 years ago and it was slick & quiet , i just this past year got to shoot a sig P322 with sig can , that was really quiet and very comfortable in the hand , but the time span between doesnt allow me to say better than the mkIV , 

i also got to shoot a sig 300 blackout with silencer , it was surprisingly quiet  - not much louder than the P322 and really light in recoil , that was my first experience with that cartridge as ive never jumped into the "cartridge of the day" movement ,  

i liked the P322 well enough to buy one and yes its got the threaded barrel , but i have not dived into the process of procuring the can yet - but i do have access through a friend to initiate when i am ready , 

FWIW i do own the S&W victory and the ruger but neither has the threaded barrel and id not be inclined to fit either of those with a can , JMHO mind you , 

if i get one for theP322 i may get one for my P320/M17 at the same time - dont have a rifle i want to add one to in mind AT THIS MOMENT , but im sure it would be one of my AR 223s , just not sure which one - leaning to the carbine , 

Edited by watab kid
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stumbled on this today, no experience with it.  A 3" barrel is fun to shoot unsuppressed at dusk, fire breather.  Which leads me to wonder if that means more or harder to clean build up in the suppressor.

Does anyone have experience with multiple barrel lengths with the same ammo, round count, can, and if it affected cleaning efforts?

• Thanks 1