SASS Wire Forum

Black Powder Question

Pat Riot

Tomorrow I am headed to Winchester, VA to buy some Black Powder for a muzzleloader that I am building. 
The lady I spoke with recommended Goex. It’s made in USA and she said for someone starting out with old style front stuffers this is probably best. 
They have these powders:

Goex

Schuetzen

Old Eynsferd

Swiss

And some other powder I cannot remember. 

I plan to pick up 3# FFG, 1# FFFG and 1#FFFFG.

Some time this Spring I plan to get a Flintlock.

Would you agree that Goex is the powder to go with?

Goex will certainly work fine.  Some say Swiss burn cleaner and produces more power. I generally by Grafs as it's usually available to me at a little less cost.  I've never bought Swiss because I'm tight. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Old Eynsford is made by Goex. Schutzen and Swiss are basically the same. If the other powder is Grafs, it’s the same as Schutzen. At least it was the time I bought it.

The above powders reportedly burn cleaner than regular Goex. I’ve noticed minor differences, but not enough to be meaningful, especially not for your needs as you’re not shooting 50+ rounds at a time. 

Go with the best price. They’re all excellent. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

What are you building, from scratch or a kit, percussion or a flintlock?

Goex has been unobtanium for a while, but the new company is supposedly shipping. I've been using Shutzen for a few years now. I prefer FFF in my Hawken percussion gun. I think most use FF in the 50+ caliber. I feel the 3F is hotter,cleaner, and more consistent. JMHO I intend to use it my 54 cal flintlock if I ever finish it.

In my Hawken I'm using 50gr by volume 3F, a lubed felt wad, .015 lubed patch and a .490 ball I cast myself from lead plumbing. They Chrono right about 1500 FPS. With 2F, I get about 1250 or so. Using 3F and lubed wads, I weekly during warm weather, shoot between 20 to 30 rounds up to the neighbors. OFWG (old farts with guns)!:P The last round loads just as easy as the first with zero swabbing. Just good ole load and shoot. Clean within a day or two.

Under no circumstances, use Pyrodex, it will rust like a '75 Chevy pickup.:lol:

Edited by Eyesa Horg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This guy has a YouTube channel where he does a lot of black powder testing and development.   He often uses the same flint lock rifle in his tests for consistency.  May pick something out of his videos.  I think he built a flintlock from a kit.

https://youtube.com/@Everythingblackpowder?si=TBKbfj5g4-XsyURj

Edited by Warden Callaway
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Texas Jack Black said:

What are you building, from scratch or a kit, percussion or a flintlock?

I am building / assembling a percussion Kentucky Rifle Kit from Traditions. It’s a .50 Cal. :D

—————————————————

The cheapest powder they sell is the Goex at $25 per pound as well as Schuetzen. The other Old Eynsferd is $27 and the Swiss is $32.

Edited by Pat Riot
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I am building / assembling a percussion Kentucky Rifle Kit from Traditions. It’s a .50 Cal

I'm building an Issac Haynes flintlock from a Jim Chambers kit in 54 cal. May have bitten off a little more than I can chew! Not looking forward to polishing the rough cast brass parts without losing the detail. Lot of inletting too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Old Eynsford is made by Goex. Schutzen and Swiss are basically the same. If the other powder is Grafs, it’s the same as Schutzen. At least it was the time I bought it.

The above powders reportedly burn cleaner than regular Goex. I’ve noticed minor differences, but not enough to be meaningful, especially not for your needs as you’re not shooting 50+ rounds at a time. 

Go with the best price. They’re all excellent. 

Good advice.  I prefer Schuetzen to Goex if the price is close, but it's Ginger vs. Mary Ann mostly.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I am building / assembling a percussion Kentucky Rifle Kit from Traditions. It’s a .50 Cal. :D

—————————————————

The cheapest powder they sell is the Goex at $25 per pound as well as Schuetzen. The other Old Eynsferd is $27 and the Swiss is $32.

At that price, buy a pound each of Old Eynsford, Goex, and Shuetzen in 2f, a pound of 3f OE, a pound of 4f Goex.

Let us know what you think. 

• Thanks 1

I started with Goex when I was 16. Shot my first muzzleblaster deer with an 80 grain load of FFg behind a patched round ball. I will die hunting with the same load.

It was a TC Renegade. My boy shot his first deer with that rifle and I lost it on the spot. I have a Great Plains now. I really like it but it's not my old Renegade.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

At that price, buy a pound each of Old Eynsford, Goex, and Shuetzen in 2f, a pound of 3f OE, a pound of 4f Goex.

Let us know what you think. 

That’s a good idea. Thank you. 
I understand that there can be variations between BP brands. This would be a good way to test them out. I appreciate the idea. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

—————————————————

Lap the bore! 

You may want to recut the muzzle crown.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Lap the bore! 

You may want to recut the muzzle crown.  

How would you lap the bore on a muzzleloader? 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

—————————————————

Should be an enjoyable build I have done several  Kiblers and two Lyman  Great Plains .FUN to do.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

How would you lap the bore on a muzzleloader? 

I wrapped some 4/0 steel wool around a bore mop on a cleaning rod, soaked it in Kroil, and stroked the xxxx out of it!

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Being new, you should be able to remove the breach plug. 

I tried removing the breech plug. That sucker is really in there. It’s almost as if it’s tack welded or something. The same goes for bolster. They’re frozen. 

It did just dawn on me that I could use some Kroil on the plug. 

I used to use Goex .

Never had any issues with Goex .

A few years back I went to the Sub of APP .

It's a very simple powder to use and be lazy with .

Rooster 

• Thanks 1

ill toss my 2 bits in just because , id buy enough 3f to shoot the rifle and if its a flintlock enough 4f to prime the pan , im not against what others might use for whatever reason , im strictly speaking of what my biology teacher taught me as a kid , 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I tried removing the breech plug. That sucker is really in there. It’s almost as if it’s tack welded or something. The same goes for bolster. They’re frozen. 

It did just dawn on me that I could use some Kroil on the plug. 

Add some heat. ;)

To lap the bore, use a jag and a tight fitting cotton ball with lots toothpaste on it..

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

Firelap it the only professional way to do it. NECO industries sells the kit. Follow their instruction and don't take any shortcuts.

kR

If I recall fire lapping takes a few rounds. On a muzzleloader this might be truly be a hassle. If the breech plug cannot be removed, sending the ball down the barrel for firing would probably only lap the first few inches of the bore while ramming the ball home.

Unless, of course, I am missing something in the way this is done. 

Don't use a round ball. Use a lead bullet unlubed and no patch . Use 1/2 of a full charge. 4 sizes of commercial grade grit, 4 bullets with each grit. The rifle/bore is cleaned after every shot. Grit sizes are 400, 600, 800 and 1200. the reason for half loads is the fire lapping is then the full length of the bore that the bullet/rb travels when it is fired in normal conditions. It also make cleaning the bore much easier. Normally takes 1 or 2 patches as compared to 10 or more for a new bore. It also should cutt your group size by >50 percent.

kR

PS do not remove the breach plug.

Edited by Kid Rich
  • Thanks 3

Thank you @Kid Rich 

————————————————-

I think before I consider fire lapping or hand lapping I will shoot it to see it’s accuracy. 

————————————————

Well, I canceled my appointment to buy black powder today because of icy road conditions. I will go Thursday. 

• Like 2

Never lapped mine and it's a tack driver for an inexpensive rifle. Over 3000 rounds through it now. As above, I do run 80-85 gr. of powder for hunting. 50 for target shooting which is mostly what I do.

One thing I did notice, is the POI is different by quite a bit bench rested compared to off hand. I support it right in front of the trigger guard with my palm when shooting off hand.

Edited by Eyesa Horg
Added text
  • Like 2

Muzzleloaders can be   picky  about powder try a few brands and pick one that performs the best in your Rifle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use Old Eyensfordfor precision shooting.on my C. Sharps .50-140, Goex in my 8 gauge double and for SASS matches in my 10 3 1/2 ten double and Goex in my

45 Ruger revolvers and my .45 Henry Big Boy for SASS

That works for me!

:-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1