SASS Wire Forum

SASS Wire Classifieds multiple listings

Sarge

So I went to browse the classifieds this morning.  Probably like most people, I like to check out what is new.  I usually only go through the first page.  But today, I noticed several individuals had posted multiple similar items in separate posts, rather than including them all in a single post.  Not items that were posted on separate dates, but all on the same date.  As an occasional seller, I like to try to keep items on the first page for a least a couple of days.  Am I off base, or is this a bit inconsiderate of people trying to use the classifieds?  

16 minutes ago, Sarge said:

So I went to browse the classifieds this morning.  Probably like most people, I like to check out what is new.  I usually only go through the first page.  But today, I noticed several individuals had posted multiple similar items in separate posts, rather than including them all in a single post.  Not items that were posted on separate dates, but all on the same date.  As an occasional seller, I like to try to keep items on the first page for a least a couple of days.  Am I off base, or is this a bit inconsiderate of people trying to use the classifieds?  

Are you referring to me?

Personally, if I were to list multiple items, it would make it a lot easier to track if I list them separately in their own thread. 

The reason?

Years ago I posted a bunch of stuff to sell all on the same thread. Some things were sold or spoken for quickly, but a few items people had questions about. In less than a day I had 2 pages of questions and general comments. I missed one pard’s question and after several days and 4 pages he sent me a PM pretty upset about me not answering a question he had and that he was very interested but I sold the item to someone else. 
I didn’t blame him for being angry with me. I screwed up. 
So, from then on I listed things separately. 

Posting several threads to sell items is not against the rules, as far as I know, as long as the items or postings do not violate the rules in regards to duplicate posts or things not permitted in the Classifieds. 

Perhaps the esteemed @PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L can respond and set the record straight for everyone. 

27 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Personally, if I were to list multiple items, it would make it a lot easier to track if I list them separately in their own thread. 

Posting several threads to sell items is not against the rules, as far as I know, as long as the items or postings do not violate the rules in regards to duplicate posts or things not permitted in the Classifieds...

Agree. Keeps things easier for seller and that keeps buyers happier.

Several years back I posted several items for sale in different posts. Almost immediately someone began bitching that I was taking up too much bandwidth on the wire by doing so.

Geeeez.

Any current SASS member can post an ad or ADS in the Classifieds.

I paid my SASS dues ever since joining in 1998, never listed anything in the Classifieds for 20 years. Started selling unneeded or unused stuff about 5 years ago. I've offered many good deals and some damn good deals to many SASS members. Some ads were listed in a group setting, others not. Separating the items for sale gives the seller the opportunity to post when the items are SPF, or otherwise edit the post. Besides that, when is it any skin off your tail?

If you don't like the way that the Classifieds are regulated or displayed, lobby SASS with your proposed change. In the meantime...I suggest not opening the ones that you do not wish to read. 

Since I was asked:

There are NO GUIDELINES prohibiting posting WTS/WTB items separately.

IMO...

Listing items separately (rather than a single post with multiple items) makes it easier for both the seller and prospective buyers to keep track of what has been sold and what might still be available; as well as asking & responding to questions regarding individual items.

It's easier (again, IMO) to simply go to the next page when the first page has multiple separate items posted by a single seller. 

A reminder for sellers in the Classifieds:
- If your item has sold, or a deal is pending, please edit or delete your post to reflect this. 

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Are you referring to me?

I understand the rules, and am not saying anything needs to be changed. It was just frustrating this morning when I opened up the page and every listing seemed to be the same items by the same two or three posters.  Yep, not denying you have every right to post. Just wonder if someone is posting that much stuff if they are in business and should be posting in that section.  Has not been that difficult for me to list several similar items in one post and edit that post as necessary.  

21 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I understand the rules, and am not saying anything needs to be changed. It was just frustrating this morning when I opened up the page and every listing seemed to be the same items by the same two or three posters.  Yep, not denying you have every right to post. Just wonder if someone is posting that much stuff if they are in business and should be posting in that section.  Has not been that difficult for me to list several similar items in one post and edit that post as necessary.  

Thanks for the PM. I don't believe that we have an issue with each other and gladly so.

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Agree. Keeps things easier for seller and that keeps buyers happier.

Several years back I posted several items for sale in different posts. Almost immediately someone began bitching that I was taking up too much bandwidth on the wire by doing so.

Geeeez.

Yeah, you’d think it was costing them something. Same thing happened to me. I told them to go pound sand. 

1 hour ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Since I was asked:

There are NO GUIDELINES prohibiting posting WTS/WTB items separately.

IMO...

Listing items separately (rather than a single post with multiple items) makes it easier for both the seller and prospective buyers to keep track of what has been sold and what might still be available; as well as asking & responding to questions regarding individual items.

It's easier (again, IMO) to simply go to the next page when the first page has multiple separate items posted by a single seller. 

A reminder for sellers in the Classifieds:
- If your item has sold, or a deal is pending, please edit or delete your post to reflect this. 

I have a question. Can non-members post free stuff in the Classifieds? No money changes hands, just free stuff. 

Or would that be better done elsewhere?

Thank you. 

I came here oddly enough after noting a similar issue in the classifieds. Nearly the entire first page is taken up by one individual listing a bunch of different types of brass for sale. No issue with someone selling anything but if the whole page is just you and 47 different types of the same thing, they ought to be combined. 

57 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Just wonder if someone is posting that much stuff if they are in business and should be posting in that section.  

I’ve wondered that myself. It used to be that if someone was hand making items and selling for a business they were supposed to become a SASS Merchant and sell there. Regardless Cypress Sun is not the one doing that.

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I have a question. Can non-members post free stuff in the Classifieds? No money changes hands, just free stuff. 

Thank you. 

We used to have a single thread/post where anyone could do that. 

8 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Thank you. 

I'm not aware of any specific guideline regarding non-SASS members posting "free stuff"...but asking for $$ to cover shipping costs of give-away items MIGHT fall under the "no guests" posting regs due to requesting funds.

22 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I’ve wondered that myself. It used to be that if someone was hand making items and selling for a business they were supposed to become a SASS Merchant and sell there. Regardless Cypress Sun is not the one doing that.

Correct.  Have already had a PM conversation with Cypress Sun.  He was not who I was referencing.  

33 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Yeah, somebody might break a nail or something’ clickin’ on that little “Next Page” thingie.

Follow that argument through @Pat Riot  I recently had an ad up that had something like 100 different items, all odds and ends, in it. You’re saying you have no issue going to the classifieds and seeing what would have been the first four pages all from one guy? Then I “bump” each one up every 48 hours so I’m at the top?  I have a feeling folks would get knotted up pretty quick. 

I do see Sarge's point. Of the 30 available posting spots on the 1st page, 9 of them are taken up by the same person posting brass for sale and have been this way for some time now. That's 30%.

Doesn't mean anyone has to like it, I don't....but it's still permissible and within the rules.

14 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I do see Sarge's point. Of the 30 available posting spots on the 1st page, 9 of them are taken up by the same person posting brass for sale and have been this way for some time now. That's 30%.

Doesn't mean anyone has to like it, I don't....but it's still permissible and within the rules.

And doesn't really happen a lot. I do agree that particular poster could combine due to all items being similar and he seems to have an endless supply of different calibers. But hey, it's really not that bad! When I log in my opening page is "unread" threads, so anything new is there. If it's multiple posts from the same person as in the guy selling brass, just skip over the ones you have no interest in. When ya get to the bottom click on "mark site read" and you start with a clean slate.

16 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

And doesn't really happen a lot. I do agree that particular poster could combine due to all items being similar and he seems to have an endless supply of different calibers. But hey, it's really not that bad! When I log in my opening page is "unread" threads, so anything new is there. If it's multiple posts from the same person as in the guy selling brass, just skip over the ones you have no interest in. When ya get to the bottom click on "mark site read" and you start with a clean slate.

I think its more of a problem if you are trying to sell something.  The ideal place to have your post is on the first page.  Those posts bump 9 posts from 1 to 2, 3 to 4, etc.  In the grand scheme of life, not a big deal. I just thought it was strange this morning when I logged in.  

IF someone wished to be a "polite" Wire poster - they would create a SINGLE thread with multiple posts within.

Title:

Brass for Sale - 38, 40, 5.56, 308, 43 Egyptian

Post 1 is 38 special brass/ qty/ cost/ shipping.

Post 2 is 40S&W / qty/ cost/ shipping

Post 3 5.56

Post 4 308

Post 5 43 Egyptian

So on and so forth.

This would allow prospective purchasers to see all the products for sale within a singular thread - reference the specific post when ofering to purchase and allow the seller to edit/ delete an individual post when a specific item is sold.

Same idea for mutiple clothing items, knives, firearms etc.

This would be cleaner and would allow for more items to remain front page.

I wonder if multiple listings would be considered impolite on the SASS Merchant Wire?

I mean if @Scarlett listed bullets in smaller quantities . . . . . .

There would be more hugs to go around.

Just wondering.

On 12/11/2023 at 3:50 PM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

I'm not aware of any specific guideline regarding non-SASS members posting "free stuff"...but asking for $$ to cover shipping costs of give-away items MIGHT fall under the "no guests" posting regs due to requesting funds.

Agree. Scamming for the postage is still scamming. Plus sharing personal info such as real name, PayPal iD, email address, phone number, home address...

I like the must be a sass member to offer items rule.

22 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

IF someone wished to be a "polite" Wire poster - they would create a SINGLE thread with multiple posts within.

Title:

Brass for Sale - 38, 40, 5.56, 308, 43 Egyptian

Post 1 is 38 special brass/ qty/ cost/ shipping.

Post 2 is 40S&W / qty/ cost/ shipping

Post 3 5.56

Post 4 308

Post 5 43 Egyptian

So on and so forth.

This would allow prospective purchasers to see all the products for sale within a singular thread - reference the specific post when ofering to purchase and allow the seller to edit/ delete an individual post when a specific item is sold.

Same idea for mutiple clothing items, knives, firearms etc.

This would be cleaner and would allow for more items to remain front page.

That is too much work. I think I would post all brass in a single post, all costuming in a single post, or even several items in a single post. But have no objection to a thread for each item, as long as the subject is clear and specific which means I would not have to read the thread if I was not interested in it.

If I were selling a lot of items, I might do one post per item if I was not posting all at the same time.

But I know how to go to the next page of listings.

So I don't really care.

7 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Why are you so polite?

I was following forum rules. I couldn’t say what I wished…well I could, actually. Once. ;)

Archived