SASS Wire Forum

Ruger's 1894 Marlin lever action in .357

Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L

45 minutes ago, Go West said:

Ouch! $1,200 bucks, oh my!

It's about time, but dang, that cost!

I remember buying one from Big-5 for ~$300!  Of course, primers now cost 4X more too.

I have a friend who is a dealer and he just received a model 1895 that wasn't very good in

its functioning.

AND, on top of being hard and rough to work the action, he noticed numerous 'cracks' in the

lever.   He sent me a couple pictures and YES, there were numerous hair line cracks (splits) in

areas of the lever.

..........Widder

Trying to understand why and where cracks on a lever?  Are they machining forgings or castings?  In heat treat? These new Ruger lever guns are sure being hyped up in the gun magazines.  Thought they would be great quality like almost to Muroku Winchester standards at their pricing.   Did notice that the accuracy testing written about is no better than my JM Marlin though. 

Still pretty unhappy that it was 100% Ruger bean-counters who dried up all the inventory of the old Marlin parts.   

Lever cracks would be odd,  can't imagine they quech them and the normalize so they wouldn't be quench cracks but maybe they do quench them to get physical properties.  Even so a 10 second mag particle inspection would find them.

For what good Marlins or even Remlins sell for the list Ruglin price isn't out of line?

Hey Pards.

Those 'cracks' seem like stress fractures to me.

I'm gonna try to get some pictures, assuming he still has the lever.

He did call Ruger (or Marlin) and told him the issue.   They ask for the rifle SN and then complied that they

would send him a new lever.   I don't know if he returned the split lever yetThe Dealer is 'Slater'.  He is also a SASS Merchant and an active Cowboy shooter.

..........Widder

22 hours ago, Go West said:

Ouch! $1,200 bucks, oh my!

It's about time, but dang, that cost!

Dealer cost is just a bit over $800.

So now y'all can know how much of a premium others are asking. This rifle should sell for around $900.

Phantom

The local Sheels has two 1894s in 44 mag. Both bery nice rifles.  Both currently marked at $899.

price point seems way fare to me , i think i paid that for the remlin i had years ago that was gone in a couple months - it never worked well nor was i impressed with its fit and finish - i just thought i had to have one , the JM i ended up with fulfills that need very nicely , im very happy with that rifle , i need to shoot it more , 

im going to look local;ly to see who has these new ruger/marlins in so i can hold one and check it out 

Good timing. A local dealer just posted one of these on his website for $950.  That is $30 higher than he had the 44 magnum version priced and that sold in about 4 days.

On 11/29/2023 at 10:39 PM, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

The price is in line with every thing else that is going up.  I just hope they got the QC issues ironed out.  Remington kind of damaged Marlin's reputation.  

Looks like they are made by Ruger now:

image.png.75eb238b235c8566b781971150539bd2.png

The current on-line price at Scheels for Marlin 1894's is $1,149.99.  They show in stock at all stores in Kansas and Nebraska at this price.   

28 minutes ago, Pb Mark said:

The current on-line price at Scheels for Marlin 1894's is $1,149.99.  They show in stock at all stores in Kansas and Nebraska at this price.   

See, there ya go. You'd be paying about $250 premium at those prices.

Such a deal...:wacko:

Phantom

7 hours ago, Pb Mark said:

at that price they may have them a long time , 

11 hours ago, watab kid said:

at that price they may have them a long time , 

Agree.

Sheels marked theirs down recently from the $1150 price to the $899 price. We'll see in a week if thems still on the shelf. Might be Christmas season pricing, might be no one buys because to many other expenses in Dec.

I just bought an 1873 Cimarron rifle in .357 for $1300 from Barleycorn Outfitters.That was a deal. $1294.00 is not out of line I guess.

Funny I bought one used a few years ago for $750, didn't like it and sold it to a friend for the same. I'm not or ever was a Marlin fan.

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Funny I bought one used a few years ago for $750, didn't like it and sold it to a friend for the same. I'm not or ever was a Marlin fan.

Now I feel like a  wooden spike has been stuck thru meowndangheart.

May your guardian Angels cover their ears when you speak of such things... ;)

..........Widder

18 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Agree.

Sheels marked theirs down recently from the $1150 price to the $899 price. We'll see in a week if thems still on the shelf. Might be Christmas season pricing, might be no one buys because to many other expenses in Dec.

thats getting to where you should go for it - congrats if you do , i was not happy with mine even tho i knew they were what to buy it was made by remington and it never worked right , took me a bit to get to a real JM but when i did i never looked back , i hope the ruger made measure up - yet i suspect they will  , 

Archived