SASS Wire Forum

Missed it by that much!

On cyber Monday, I told my wife I was looking at TV's as ours has had a mildly dark band about 1 inch wide running from top to bottom for about a year. She replied that she had never noticed it and I was able to live with it as little as I watch TV. So I decided not to proceed on finding a new TV.

Well today, while watching the local news at lunch, the screen went completely out so now I have to get a new TV!:angry:

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

On cyber Monday, I told my wife I was looking at TV's as ours has had a mildly dark band about 1 inch wide running from top to bottom for about a year. She replied that she had never noticed it and I was able to live with it as little as I watch TV. So I decided not to proceed on finding a new TV.

Well today, while watching the local news at lunch, the screen went completely out so now I have to get a new TV!:angry:

To be honest I have seen where several retailers their Black Friday and Cyber Monday "sales" were running and the current sales price just relabeled as the current thing .

shoppers-slam-target-alleged-fake-72898655.webp

Good Black Friday carry overs out there.

TM

You do realize that TVs no longer use vaccum tubes...It could be time move into the modern age....

Texas Lizard

2 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

You do realize that TVs no longer use vaccum tubes...It could be time move into the modern age....

Texas Lizard

Pshaw!:P

BTW - Vacuum

(Ordered one from Costco)

good thing is there are lots to choose from and lots of good deals to be had , bad thing is you cotta get rid of that old one and it has to be recycled these days - you gotta pay for that too , 

12 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Texas Lizard

I kinda miss slapping the side of the tv to stop the rolling...or not.:rolleyes:

I researched this to death.
You can find a whole lot of info review at https://www.rtings.com/
I have my research in an Excel spread sheet if you want a copy.

If you have a COSTCO near you, stop there and take a peek.
The above reviews are VERY picky about features and quality.
Taking a good long look at COSTCO might let you find a set that pleases your eyes, regardless of reviews.

One primary factor is your viewing area.
For me, it is very narrow and a fixed location.
For sports parties, a very wide viewing angle is preferred.

Wider viewing angles are less sharp due to filters used by Samsung, et al to make this work.
The OLED screens have a natural wide and sharp viewing angle, but are prone to screen burn in from banners one finds on News broadcasts.

Another factor is upscaling DVD and Blu-Ray movies to the 4k resolution.
Sony is the undisputed king of quality for this... and you pay for it.

I bought the Hisense U8H in 65-inch because it fits my specific needs of bright, sharp image and narrow viewing angle.

We have a "smart TV" that connects to our Wi-Fi.  Lots of viewing options but it takes geezers a while to learn how to navigate the menus.  If you have a teenager in the family or neighborhood, you might consider getting some training!  ;)

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Yeah and I hear that most of them are color now too.

“…Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a color TV

Dialing For Dollars is trying to find me

I wait for delivery each day until 3:00

Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a color TV..”

—Janis Joplin

Some of you of a certain age might remember that from the Mercedes Benz song. 

Mine just happens to be a 72Inch LG "Smart TV."  And yes, it takes an old codger like me to learn to operate it.  Worth it though.  Movies and Football onna Big Screen :wub:

Yes, it takes and old codger like me "a while" to learn to operate it.  Connected our cable service and we get all sorts of really good streaming :wub:

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Mine just happens to be a 72Inch LG "Smart TV."  And yes, it takes an old codger like me to learn to operate it.  Worth it though.  Movies and Football onna Big Screen :wub:

Yes, it takes and old codger like me "a while" to learn to operate it.  Connected our cable service and we get all sorts of really good streaming :wub:

Let the grand kids hook it up....They can do it in there sleep...Also teach you how it works....

Texas Lizard

Grand kids equal free tech support...

Archived