SASS Wire Forum

Locked truck broke into

Trigger Mike

I have a 2023 ford f250.  It was parked under my awning at my barn.  It was locked.  I haven’t gone to town in a couple of days but see the truck daily as it is by my cows.  

this morning about 7am I heard a horn go off, which seemed odd as I am at the end of a dirt road and off to myself.  

my son went to get in his truck and saw my passenger door wide open.  The rest of the doors were locked.   Nothing was taken but trying to figure out how they got the locked door open without any sigh of damage.  

Believe it or not, it's not that hard. A guy showed me a trick once to get into a locked vehicle. Our boss had had a brain fart and locked his keys in his truck. 

The other guy unscrewed the radio antenna, wedged the window just enough to slide the antenna in and hit the door lock button. 

A while back, my daughter's key fob battery went dead so that she couldn't get into her car. A roadside assistance guy brought out a tool that looked like a blood pressure cuff. He wedged it into the window, pumped it up enough to reach in and unlock the door manually.  

My son does roadside service, lockouts, jumpstarts, towing, etc. Watched him get into a running brand new GMC Sierra in about 15 seconds. I was shocked at how easy it was for him.

Locks are made to keep honest people honest!

Half of the vehicles made in the last decade or so can be unlocked with a cell phone if you have the right information.

2 nylon wedges and a pneumatic window leveling bag.  As stated they open a large enough gap to allow the unlock button to be activated.

For older cars:

https://youtu.be/5YJzpaz0tmw?si=-E65YBSqiTYIRWNX

While at one of the Florida State matches during January at St Augustine, I had ice on my vehicle windows in the hotel parking lot. No problem sez I. I load up the truck, start it up, turn on the heat full blast, take the alarm/lock remote fob, lock up the truck and go back to the hotel room for 10 minutes. Ten minutes go by, go back out...no ice, all's great...except the truck won't unlock with the fob with the motor running. Funny, didn't read about THAT in the manual. Go for my wallet which has a non chip key in it for just such an occasion, shit...it's in the truck. 

I borrow a phone, that's in the truck too, call up AAA. They'll be here in 10 minutes. Great, but now I'm running late to the 1st day, morning flight at the match. They showed up in about 10 minutes. He got out of a beat up old van, asked if I was the one who called, I said yes and pointed to the running truck. He reached in the open door of his running van, grabbed a plastic wedge and a slim jim. Shoved the wedge in-between the window and the rubber window seal, stuck the slim jim in and popped the lock. Total time on site was about 30 seconds...never even closed the door to his van or turned it off.

I never left anything of value in the truck if it was going to be out of my sight, even for the least amount of time. Don't lock the doors without my wallet in my pocket either.

I suspect it is this druggie that lives in the woods around here.  He was living in one of those loft bedroom portable homes and got evicted and now roams the woods and recently was seen in a neighbors car who lives a mile up.   He’s kinda nutty .  

5 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I suspect it is this druggie that lives in the woods around here.  He was living in one of those loft bedroom portable homes and got evicted and now roams the woods and recently was seen in a neighbors car who lives a mile up.   He’s kinda nutty .  

Could you hunt this guy down ? Maybe make a citizen’s arrest? Just a thought.:o

Well, if its someone you suspect and they are still local, AND if he is nutty....... he probably left a 

handful of fingerprints.     Get his prints taken by the local law, compare then to

any prints on your truck, and have him checked out.

..........Widder

11 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

...never even closed the door to his van or turned it off.

Guess the locksmith lock himself out of his van one too many times with all his unlocking tools locked inside?

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

7 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Well, if its someone you suspect and they are still local, AND if he is nutty....... he probably left a 

handful of fingerprints.     Get his prints taken by the local law, compare then to

any prints on your truck, and have him checked out.

..........Widder

There is a good chance that his prints are already on file. Let law enforcement do their job...citizen's arrests sometimes have a tendency to go wrong and the "good" guy ends up getting arrested instead of the criminal.

On what evidence?

3 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Guess the locksmith lock himself out of his van one too many times with all his unlocking tools locked inside?

It was cold (for Florida standards), his van was parked next to the passenger door and he knew that he wouldn't be there but a few seconds. His van was also an old pos, I could have gotten into his van with a metal coat hanger.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

On what evidence?

Maybe fingerprints or camera footage or just the fact that he saw the guy. I know citizen's arrest is a little extreme. Fun to think about though!:P

Maybe fingerprints or camera footage or just the fact that he saw the guy. I know citizen's arrest is a little extreme. Fun to think about though!:P

Finger prints would have placed him by the truck.  Prints could have been placed while the truck was in town or anywhere else.  Prints alone doesn’t prove guilt.  OP didn’t mention camera footage.  I hate to slander and hang the wrong cowpoke based on the only fact that he’s a stranger.

2 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Finger prints would have placed him by the truck.  Prints could have been placed while the truck was in town or anywhere else.  Prints alone doesn’t prove guilt.  OP didn’t mention camera footage.  I hate to slander and hang the wrong cowpoke based on the only fact that he’s a stranger.

I say HANG EM.:ph34r:

2 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Well he said he’s kinda nutty and appears to be homeless, so I would definitely call the cops. Like someone said his fingerprints maybe on file.

A neighbor of mine got broken into and the police took fingerprints and tracked down one of the purps. Turned out his fingerprints were on file for previous crimes.

I don't know if your dogs would set it off, (other thread about dogs), but my old landlord and I did something that ran off everybody that got near.

We set up motion detector lights on a pole across the yard from his house. We connected a transformer up to it along with the lights. We had the transformer power a car alarm siren so that when the lights came on the siren would too. You have no idea how high some people can jump until you see them when the get into range of a setup like that. 

I have a bunch of slim Jim's around here someplace and I know how to pick locks, but my hands do not cooperate for using them anymore

Here in CA, finger prints are useless.
We have sharp digital images of the perps faces, their license plate numbers and images of them with stolen merchandise in their arms.
All for naught.

Cops cannot/will not do anything.

Archived