SASS Wire Forum

This Weekend

Subdeacon Joe

Every year there is the media bleat about how hard it is on people to change by one hour.

One hour.

I worked a rotating shift most of my life.

Try changing from midnights to afternoons to day shift, every week.

Or, like one idiot company I worked for, a week of days, one of afternoons, one of midnights, and the fourth week, all three shifts.

Texas A&M did probably the best study on the ills of the rotating shift.

So did Yale School of Medicine.

Harvard School of Medicine.

Cleveland Clinic.

Multiple others.

Every one of them said the same thing.

The rotating shift is the one worst thing that can be done to the human body.

Productivity drops.

Efficiency drops.

Increased sick time.

Increased absenteeism across the board.

Increased on the job injuries.

Increased on the job deaths.

A rotating shift does nothing well.

Nothing.

And the media wants to bleat about a one hour time change?

Pfft!

Linn, I worked at this one place. Security guards, so you had to have people there 24/7.

Monday you go to work at 8:00 a.m., work 8:00 to 4:00. Tuesday you come in at 4:00 p.m. and work 4:00 to midnight. Wednesday night you come in at midnight and work midnight to 8:00. Then you have Thursday off. But you just worked all Wednesday night, you just got off at 8 Thursday morning. So Thursday your day off - you spend it in bed. And then you're back at work Friday 8:00 a.m.

We did that for 6 months before we convinced the boss that we would all quit unless it changed. Then we did a week on a shift at a time. 5 days of mornings, two days off, 5 days of afternoon. It still sucked, but it was better.

My preference has always been to drop "Standard" time and make Daylight permanent.  It's been brought up in the Senate again this year.  What a joke.  The bill has been stalled in committie for months.  Too much krap about the Gavel.  Who gets the Gavel.  Who cares.  GOVERN!!  That's their job.  Too damn busy politicking to GOVERN!!  Too concerned with who has the Power.  Who cares??  Suppose to work together.  FAT CHANCE. 

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Linn, I worked at this one place. Security guards, so you had to have people there 24/7.

Monday you go to work at 8:00 a.m., work 8:00 to 4:00. Tuesday you come in at 4:00 p.m. and work 4:00 to midnight. Wednesday night you come in at midnight and work midnight to 8:00. Then you have Thursday off. But you just worked all Wednesday night, you just got off at 8 Thursday morning. So Thursday your day off - you spend it in bed. And then you're back at work Friday 8:00 a.m.

We did that for 6 months before we convinced the boss that we would all quit unless it changed. Then we did a week on a shift at a time. 5 days of mornings, two days off, 5 days of afternoon. It still sucked, but it was better.

IASVS CHRISTVS!

And I thought I had it bad!

I can see why your entire crew threatened to quit!

California voted to go to Daylight Savings Time permanently 4 or 5 years ago. Nothing has happened regarding this since. If you ask a state representative they blame the U.S. Congress. If you ask a Congress critter about it they blame the state. 

I was so aggravated by this I left the state!

image.gif.f0211fdcfb6522e0f747d3f7c202bc28.gif

18 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Every year there is the media bleat about how hard it is on people to change by one hour.

One hour.

Or, like one idiot company I worked for, a week of days, one of afternoons, one of midnights, and the fourth week, all three shifts.

Cleveland Clinic.

Multiple others.

Productivity drops.

Efficiency drops.

Increased sick time.

Nothing.

Pfft!

Same here. I worked a 12 hour rotating shift for 27 years before I went to maintenance and a straight day shift. I started the rotating shift in my early 20s so I got used to it but about the time I hit 45 things got rough and got worse every year after. The studies you refer to are exactly correct. I went through 3 family doctors during those 27 years and each time I explained my work schedule to them they would get mad. Visibly aggravated at what I told them and all 3 told me that's the worst possible thing you can do for your health. One study I read even said it's similar to smoking 2 packs a day while maintaining a sedentary lifestyle while eating nothing but fast food. Greeeeeeeat...

As I said I started in my early 20s when most of us are burning the candle at both ends anyway and never quite adjusted (constant jet lag) but it wasn't terrible, it was just a way of life. A friend needed a job so I helped him get hired on when he was age 50 and he started the rotating shift. Immediately his health went South, as did his marriage.

The company changed hands but the work schedule didn't and the new company only brought tractor-trailer loads of BS and anti-workforce discrimination into the mix which made everything better or worse do you think?  Nothing like sacrificing time away from home and family on nights, weekends and holidays for a company that loathes your very existence.

I hate that place.

On 11/3/2023 at 10:35 AM, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

One hour.

Cleveland Clinic.

Multiple others.

Productivity drops.

Efficiency drops.

Increased sick time.

Nothing.

Pfft!

There's a difference here Linn.  

There was a viable, logical reason for your shift changes.

There is no defensible reason on Earth for daylight Savings Time.

Well on a positive note, it gets lighter earlier in the morning plus I got an extra hour of sleep! :)

Okay so now just leave it alone!

Archived