SASS Wire Forum

Armanov quick release for Dillon

Buckshot Bear

Has anyone else bought one of these Armanov quick releases for their Dillon?

How tight did you screw the bolts in and do you have any movement in your hopper?

https://www.armanov.com/shop/qrdpc-quick-disconnect-for-dillon-powder-measure-90#attr=

Here's mine, I think I need to back the bolts out but then that induces a LOT of sideways movement -

20231016_130006.thumb.jpg.5230d1cfb4a4d2fdb9cbdba8a1bbba91.jpg

I have a similar attachment on both of my Dillon powder hoppers.  They work great.  The hopper needs to be able to rotate around but not come off without pulling the release.  It eliminates having to find an allen wrench to dump the powder.   Check that your hopper is throwing accurate charges and the quick release is securely holding the powder hopper in place.  A little movement of the hopper is normal as long as everything works as it should.

I have one on every Dillon I own(4). I installed longer bolts, self-locking nuts and shorter springs (Lowes hardware bins) so it would not require as much effort, and subsequent spills. I wouldnt have it any other way.

Imis

I have found my powder measures on my dillons run better if I leave them a bit loose.  I do have that quick detach gizmo on one and it works great, just don't tighten it down. 

I'm using this one with excellent results. It was tad thinner, so I had to readjust the belling.

https://entirelycrimson.com/collections/dillon-square-deal/products/quick-disconnect-for-dillon-square-deal-powder-measure

I also use the powder drain device from Uniquetek.

https://uniquetek.com/shop/ols/products/powder-measure-drain-n-change-tool

I went with the quick release after I had to get a new lower part from Dillon because the heli coil backed out when unscrewing the clamp. ( twice) This over many years however. I have a baffle in my measure, so the Uniquetek device made it easier to get all the powder out. Just my personal preference!

PLUS ONE for Kid Rich you betcha.

I have added some really neat after-market goodies to my DILLONS but I find it quick and easy to just pull the Tool Head and dump the powder into the Funnel.  I DO have a dedicated powder measure on each of my Tool Heads.

I made my own - drilled & tapped the saddle & put a bolt in for a pull handle, then put long screws with springs in place of the short saddle bolts.  Works in the same way as that one & was a lot cheaper.  Sometimes it's nice to be a DIY'er.

Holler

3 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PLUS ONE for Kid Rich you betcha.

I have added some really neat after-market goodies to my DILLONS but I find it quick and easy to just pull the Tool Head and dump the powder into the Funnel.  I DO have a dedicated powder measure on each of my Tool Heads.

I used to do that. My reloading has grown to 4 powder measures and 10 tool heads. Majority of my reloading is between 5 pistol calibers and using the 1 powder measure easily switched between tool heads is just so much easier.

off on a side trail--my SDB uses a slightly different clamp (same idea but only has 1 screw) and I LOVE it.

have it on all 4 of my machines

. . . now if there was a way to see into the case after the powder drop :(

Captain Bill Burt. It's all about how many calibers you reload. I have 10 tool heads and one extra that I can put select dies for specific purposes, but only 4 powder hoppers. I also have select powder funnels for different bullets that also require removing the hopper to replace. The quick change adapter has been a great addition to my 650.

Makes sense.  I have three tool heads and three powder hoppers (.32, .38, .45).  I'm setting one up for .556, but haven't gotten everything yet.  Clearly I don't shoot enough calibers!!

58 minutes ago, Ranger Dan said:

Captain Bill Burt. It's all about how many calibers you reload. I have 10 tool heads and one extra that I can put select dies for specific purposes, but only 4 powder hoppers. I also have select powder funnels for different bullets that also require removing the hopper to replace. The quick change adapter has been a great addition to my 650.

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Is taking the powder hopper off the toolhead a regular thing that I'm missing for some reason?  I've only taken one of my three hoppers off it's toolhead a single time in the 11 years I've had the 650.

It is for me as I don't leave powder in the hopper when I'm done reloading. 

4 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Is taking the powder hopper off the toolhead a regular thing that I'm missing for some reason?  I've only taken one of my three hoppers off it's toolhead a single time in the 11 years I've had the 650.

I remove all powder from the hopper when done reloading.  The quick release just makes it a little easier to do this.  You could also just remove the entire tool head and dump the powder that way also as Kid Rich suggested.  I have two 650's that I load 4 calibers on.  38, 9, 45 acp and 45 Colt.  One press for small pistol primers and the other for large.  

Since I change between two calibers on each press, I mark the powder adjustment knob position with a sharpie for each caliber setting.  That way I can go back to the exact position of the powder adjustment knob.

4 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

It is for me as well - we have (2) 550s & like 14 toolheads set up, but we only have (2) powder measures.  We also empty the measure when done loading for the day.  Loosening the 2 clamp screws wasn't all that big of a deal, but the spring-loaded setup is better because it doesn't require a tool.

Holler

Undoing the screws that hold the powder hopper on the die is the only way I can keep track of my tools for the Dillon.  I only have six or seven tool heads, and 3 hoppers, one of which is dedicated to BP.  

Archived