SASS Wire Forum

S&W Hand ejector

Rye Miles #13621

image.jpeg.0926f20348bbc8f7abf70d8c22bfb3e7.jpegSaw this at my LGS I didn’t buy it but I may go back $450

This is not the actual piece but it’s very similar. I believe the hand ejector was the first .38 spl by Smith. It has a 4” barrel and locks  up tight. Smooth action. I have to look up the year it was made. Oh yea the bore looks great too.

I don’t know what the going rate for these cool old revolvers is these days but $450 sounds like a good deal. The online auction sites show asking or list prices of double that and more. 

I would be very tempted to buy one at that price. 

I did find this on Clearance at the Cabela’s near Wheeling WV for $499. It sure looks like a .38 M&P but they have it listed as a “Hand Ejector” model. 
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/101148844

9 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I don’t know what the going rate for these cool old revolvers is these days but $450 sounds like a good deal. The online auction sites show asking or list prices of double that and more. 

I would be very tempted to buy one at that price. 

I did find this on Clearance at the Cabela’s near Wheeling WV for $499. It sure looks like a .38 M&P but they have it listed as a “Hand Ejector” model. 
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/101148844

That looks real close to the one I looked at. I think I'll buy it at $450.00

Pat, Smith has had three basic types of actions. The first one the hinge was on the top of the frame and the barrel swung up over the top of the frame and pointed at you, like with a derringer. This was referred to as the tip up.

The second one has the hinge at the bottom of the frame, and it would break open and go down like a double barrel shotgun. This is known as a break top, or simply break open. As the barrel and cylinder are going down, the ejector star is going up, automatically ejecting the cases.

The third type has a solid frame, making it stronger and allowing them to put more powerful cartridges in it. And you push the latch on the side and the cylinder swings out. With this one you have to push the ejector rod yourself. Instead of it automatically ejecting, you have to eject them by hand. So this type is called the hand ejector. Although they no longer use the term, all Smith and Wesson revolvers with a swing out cylinder are hand ejectors.

So they are correct andIN referring to that as a hand ejector. But it is also a 38 M&P.

If I'm reading my Standard Catalog correctly, all of the post war guns have a four line address. That one just has the one line, which makes it pre-World War II. But it doesn't have the acorn on the ejector rod, which would make it awful late 1930s.

What is the hole under the thumb latch? None of my pre-'82 S&Ws have that hole.

Show a photo of the right side of the one you buy (counting screws) and the leading digits of the serial number on the bottom of the grip so we can approximate the date of shipment.

Even with the mystery hole, $450 sounds very good!

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That looks real close to the one I looked at. I think I'll buy it at $450.00

Gopher Itt.

If you don't you'll regret it.  I don't have enough time left on Earth to regret all the ones I let go by.

3 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

What is the hole under the thumb latch? None of my pre-'82 S&Ws have that hole

I just did a quick check, and all of my pre-war hand injectors - 3 32 HEs, a 1917, 3 M&P 32 Winchesters and a mid-30s 2 inch M&P 38 - all have this hole. It's a screw hole. You can easily see the end of the screw in this first picture of my 1917.

1917.jpg.addaebb79085ea3f963c33ae95545df2.jpg

You can see the end of the screw pretty good in this 32 hand ejector also.

32HandEjector.jpg.0ef9497278596397fd0fb86e222255db.jpg

But none of my post-war guns have it.

I believe it is the hammer pivot pin.

38MPmechanism.jpg

This is a Perfected, which is a top break, but it also has the thumb latch. And if you notice directly below the thumb latch slot, there is a hole and a stud (no. P18) that screws into the hole.

918d36eeaa616ae5bfa604887bcd3717--handgu

In part of my research as to the purpose of that hole, I found that Smith and Wesson changed the way they made the frame in 1945.

11 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

image.jpeg.0926f20348bbc8f7abf70d8c22bfb3e7.jpegSaw this at my LGS I didn’t buy it but I may go back $450

This is not the actual piece but it’s very similar. I believe the hand ejector was the first .38 spl by Smith. It has a 4” barrel and locks  up tight. Smooth action. I have to look up the year it was made. Oh yea the bore looks great too.

Go buy it. You'll kick yourself if'n you don't.  :o

2 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Got a few of them.  

rusty.jpg

S&W M&P 1.jpg

44 hand ejector.jpg

Very nice. I love that center one. A championship award at the Crescent Athletic Club 1925-26. That’s really neat. 

9 hours ago, Alpo said:

That bottom one - 38/44 heavy duty or 44 hand ejector?

44 Hand Ejector.  Factory nickel, correct barrel length, grips serial numbered to the gun. S&W letter indicates it was shipped in 1940.  Serial number indicates it was one of about the last 800 shipped before WWII brought a halt to production on the 44 Hand Ejector.  

Well &$@“%#^>€ looks like I was a little late. Gun is sold! 

The guy that bought it is on delay so there’s a real outside chance if he gets denied but I doubt it. :(

On 9/5/2023 at 3:53 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Well &$@“%#^>€ looks like I was a little late. Gun is sold! 

The guy that bought it is on delay so there’s a real outside chance if he gets denied but I doubt it. :(

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Well it’s gone! :( I snoozed and I lost!

There have been a few guns I have missed out on. I know how you feel. Sorry you missed it. 

Took me 10 years to get a 32/20 Smith. And now I got three.

Another one's gonna show up.

That's what I tell myself, when I think of the Hong Kong police Model 10 that I did not get. Another one will be along.

Yeah, I've got a couple few o' dem. 

Top right is a .32-20 with some timing issues - anyone want to buy a project gun?

The middle one of the 5 is a Victory model .38 S&W, and the other 4 are .38 Specials.

:)

SmithWesson1905.jpg

I'll play although not quite the same, but close. This one born in 1934.

20230911_154105.jpg

Archived