SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Marlin 1894

WOLFY

Howdy.  I heard from a NY CAS shooter that their new 20” .44 mag carbine was only holding 9 in it’s magazine tube.  My JM  version held 12 .44 spl and 11 .44 mag (iirc).   Marlin’s web page lists their capacity as 10+1.

Is he mistaken?  I asked what his ammo OAL was (in case they’re too long) and he hasn’t gotten back to me.  The other thought is that there’re limited magazine state models that only allow 10 44 spl (which would explain it not getting 10 magnums).

10+1 on everything I have read .

So Saith The Rooster 

That’s a valid point, S Gator.  I remember some of the 24” guns being plugged to 10 cap.

I might’a pissed im off.  My last comment was, “put your purse down and stuff that tube”.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Marlin does have a website.  You could just read what the manufacturer says.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/model_1894Classic/

Thanks Mr Pettifogger,

I think my 4th sentence referenced this detail.  However, I failed to provide a link.  

I bet the NY shooter just couldn’t get the 10th round in… 

From the Ruger Website:  "Tubular magazine features a loading gate located on the receiver and will accept 10 rounds of .44 Rem Mag or 11 rounds of .44 Special ammunition. "

Cheers,

FJT

I believe his club is the Circle K Regulators.  Thanks for the responses… I got 16” Rossis to hold 10x .44 spl so there’s no way a 20” Marlin won’t hold 10 44 magnums.

On 8/24/2023 at 4:06 PM, WOLFY said:

I believe his club is the Circle K Regulators.  Thanks for the responses… I got 16” Rossis to hold 10x .44 spl so there’s no way a 20” Marlin won’t hold 10 44 magnums.

I shoot at the Circle K monthly, guess I’ll need to keep my eyes open and check out this new rifle if it’s coming around!! 

1 hour ago, Seth Bradford said:

I shoot at the Circle K monthly, guess I’ll need to keep my eyes open and check out this new rifle if it’s coming around!! 

Kindly report back, Seth B.   The guy was talking about a Ruger made  20” Marlin carbine (didn’t specify which caliber in his post).  

On 8/25/2023 at 7:40 PM, WOLFY said:

Kindly report back, Seth B.   The guy was talking about a Ruger made  20” Marlin carbine (didn’t specify which caliber in his post).  

Can only be a .44 mag. So far.

As Larson mention above, the magazine spring can be trimmed a bit.  On the older Marlins, these springs were quite stout and shortening the one in my .357 Carbine not only allowed for 10 - .357 Magnums to be loaded, but also made loading far easier overall.  I have never had a feeding issue with this shortened spring and would have to say that the overall performance was enhanced by trimming it back a bit.  However, I would advise cleaning the spring and inside of the magazine tube frequently and trimming just a little bit at a time and testing it, rather than just lopping of a big hunk.  Good luck and good shooting to all.  

Here are a few techniques I have used in the past that worked for me.

1. as mentioned, trim back the spring.  If its a NEW spring, I would cut it to a length of about 4 cartridges

longer than the mag tube.   If the spring has had time to 'set', trim it to only 3 cartridge lengths

longer than the mag tube.

2.  if you are using a stainless follower, you can trim a few .000's off the tip of it, as long as it can 'kiss'

the front of the carrier.

3.  You can 'concave' the inside portion of the mag tube end piece.   This process don't amount to much,

but it can give a couple .000's more space in the tube.

..........Widder

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder if Ruger copied the JM Marlin 1894C red plastic magazine follower? 

The plastic JM follower is about 1/2 plugged inside from the flat washer-like insert inside it.  You should gain about 1/2-inch magazine tube fill length by replacing it with a quality stainless steel follower.  

Posting a pic of the original plastic follower from inside my Marlin 1894C.  This shows the lost space inside it. 

The other pic is the crap needing reorganized after digging around to find that Marlin follower.  Enjoying retirement...

Big Question: Wonder if the Ruger Marlin carrier assembly is going to fit the older JM Marlins?  If so, wonder if Ruger is going to call Widder to come and review their quality control department when NIB Ruger Marlins start getting returned because they are missing the cartridge carrier and a few other parts?  Just joking (sort of).

IMG_4067.jpg

0.jpg

Just my opinion:

If Ruger has the original diagrams, dimensions, etc...... to make the parts and good assembly

instructions, their new 1894 models should be good.

If I'm not mistaken, it was the old and worn out equipment that was a big part of the problem

in making good 1894's........ those included some of the last one by Marlin and those made by

Remington.

But.....I must say that I also believe that Remington didn't have anyone around that could help

them solve some of their problems and therefore, their QA suffered and the buying customers

suffered.     Another issue in their QA was obvious in their bad fitting furniture.   

And this you can trust me on...... Remington DID NOT want to listen about their problems nor

how to fix them.   I know this personally because of my contacts with a couple of their

managers.

..........Widder

Just wondering whether the new Ruger made Marlins have that stupid "Rebounding Hammer" that was on most of the later production models?  I have always preferred the original hammer with either the half-cock or cross-pin safety, but the lawyers always seem to find a way to screw up a good thing.  

6 minutes ago, Bison Bud said:

Just wondering whether the new Ruger made Marlins have that stupid "Rebounding Hammer" that was on most of the later production models?  I have always preferred the original hammer with either the half-cock or cross-pin safety, but the lawyers always seem to find a way to screw up a good thing.  

The 1895’s have cross pin and half cock, so I expect the 1894’s will be the same. 

3 hours ago, Bison Bud said:

Did you seriously think that Ruger would change back to that?

Thanks for checking yours out, y’all.  Wait, what?  I thought the rebounding hammer was a Miroku thing.  Did Marlins come with them (maybe in the Remlin years)?

On 9/7/2023 at 5:20 AM, Bison Bud said:

Other than the rimfires I have never seen a rebounding hammer on a Marlin centerfire lever gun.  Where did you get this infomation?

Larsen, the one I saw and worked on was on a Model 39 rimfire rifle and it had real problems with misfires and was very picky about what ammo it would or would not shoot.  Frankly, the rebounding hammer was the whole issue and a bear to get it to work even reasonably well.  At least in my opinion it turned the best .22 lever gun ever made into a complete piece of crap!  I guess I just assumed that they would do this to the other Marlin lever guns and apparently thought that they had indeed done so.  Anyway, good to know that Ruger isn't using this on the models we use for this game.  Sorry, if I mislead anyone, but glad we cleared it up for all.  

Archived