SASS Wire Forum

Motorcycles

Subdeacon Joe

The first bike has a precarious looking seat arrangement. One bump and your crotch is YEOWIEEEEEEE :lol:

The second bike is truly odd. Fun, but odd. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

The first bike has a precarious looking seat arrangement. One bump and your crotch is YEOWIEEEEEEE :lol:

Aren't the edge of danger and slight, or not so slight, oddness part of the fun of riding a motorcycle?

1 hour ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Board track seat.  https://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/1912indianracer.html

The museum is worth it if you get the chance to stop in Lincoln NE. 

Thanks!  That's an interesting little article.

• Like 1

Since Boardtrack Racing has been brought into the conversation:
https://cotati.org/news-events/news/history-of-cotati-speedway

IMG_3432_d513dc216153c94dffcf68a0396692ec.jpg

In 1920, a builder named Jack Price created excitement when he convinced racing enthusiasts all over the North Bay that he could build a world-class auto speedway. He succeeded on 135 acres on East Cotati Avenue near the railroad tracks and dubbed it the Cotati Speedway. The all-wood, bowl shaped track was 1.25 miles around and required more than 3 million feet of lumber and gave drivers a place to run record-breaking races. Wildly popular, its first race was Aug. 14, 1921 with all 10,000 seats filled. Sadly, cold, rainy weather and traffic congestion to get to the track caused its failure after only two years. The speedway was dismantled and wood from it went to build homes and businesses in the area.

And did you know: The floor of the Redwood Café in downtown Cotati was built with the wood from the Cotati Speedway track.

To learn more the Cotati Speedway and other points of interest in Cotati, refer to the book “(Images of America) Cotati,” available at the Cotati Historical Society and Museum.

https://www.sonomacountygazette.com/sonoma-county-news/a-speedway-in-cotati/

The Fox Garage catered to racers who came to the Cotati Speedway to run their cars. Fox changed the name of his business to Speedway Garage to lure racers, which it did — for a while. Sadly, cold, rainy weather and traffic congestion to get to the track caused its failure after only two years.

The speedway was dismantled and wood from it went to build homes and businesses in the area including the floor of the current Redwood Café in downtown Cotati.

The garage eventually closed, paving the way for a feed store and later Arch’s Glass, housed there for almost 30 years and relocated to Rohnert Park in 2019. It was also the location of Miller Driving School in that location since 1979. Today the building houses R & J Estate Sales.

For questions regarding the video or the history of Cotati, visit the CHS website at http://cotatihistoricalsociety.org. Interested in getting onto the list for in-person tours? Email the historical society at chsinfo@sonic.net.

image.jpeg.02d88f8ce9e4515b2454d40bfa36a8da.jpeg

image.jpeg.e080311ffd91f1caa35babd1fb7247e8.jpeg

image.jpeg.9758fb6bae002e407cdc8d9065178d3a.jpeg

Cotati Speedway 'captured the 1920s spirit of renewal'

image.jpeg.d40ea4acbec0a24397d5f8073a3e5fbb.jpeg

image.jpeg.f127d72506d7b0b891466862d5c30c17.jpeg

Vintage photos show a long history of auto racing in Sonoma County

Then, post WWII, not boardtrack,

http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/Cotati1.html  (looks like I can't copy the photos, go to the site to view)

Cotati Raceway

Gary Horstkorta contributed photos and info on this storied northern California airfield course.

http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/GaryHorstkortaCotatiAerialSW.jpg

"Cotati was another northern California race venue of the 1950s and 1960s.  The track was located about 45 miles north of San Francisco and was an abandoned, WWII Naval Airfield.  The track layout of 1.9 miles, utilized three of the four legs of the "X" shaped airfield for the majority of events."  (This aerial photo from 1957 contributed by Gary shows the course in its standard layout.)

"Occasionally, the track was lengthened to 2.5 miles for enduro events, by using a portion of the fourth leg and a paved service road."

(This map shows the fourth leg of the airfield and the access road that combined to form the "long course".)

(This photo contributed by Dann Shively)

http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/CotatiLayout57.jpg

"Primary useage was for the annual Racing Drivers Club (RDC) drivers school; the year end RDC Enduro; SF Region SCCA club events; SCCA diviisional, regional and a few national events.  First race was in May, 1957 with Carroll Shelby the winner in a 4.9 Ferrari.  The track continued in use through much of the 1960s but saw dwindling use when Sears Point opened in early 1969.  It was finally closed and purchased by a real estate developer in 1972."

Photo below contributed by Robert Phillips   (5-6-11)

http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/Robert%20PhillipsCotatiNew.JPG

"Unlike Vaca Valley Raceway,  nothing remains of Cotati today.  The entire track area was plowed under and replaced by a mobile home park, shopping center and industrial park. 

One side note, Steve McQueen rented the Cotati track during the filming of Bullitt in 1968 for practicing the chase scene."

Gary Horstkorta

Occasionally, Cotati was referred to as the "Golden Gate Race Circuit".  Your webmaster asked Gary to clarify this nomenclature.  Here's his answer:

"The original Golden Gate Race Circuit was the name give to the road races through Golden Gate Park in SF, 1952-54.  After Cotati opened in 1957, they used the name for various events, usually the more important regional or national races.  For SCCA club events, it was simply Cotati."

More about the Cotati Naval Auxiliary Air Stateion: http://www.airfields-freeman.com/ca/Airfields_CA_SantaRosa.htm#cotati

In 1941, the Federal Government acquired 142 acres of farmland for the establishment of Naval Outer Landing Field Cotati,

a small satellite airfield which would support flight operations from Alameda NAS.

The earliest photo which has been located of the Cotati airfield

was a 1942 aerial photograph looking northeast (courtesy of Dan Sebby).

The photograph showed the 2 paved runways as nearly complete,

but the field was still lacking its concrete apron & any buildings.

The Cotati airfield was not yet depicted on the September 1942 Sacramento Sectional Chart.

An additional 75 acres were acquired on 6/16/43 by Declaration of Taking between the Federal Government & the Cotati & Rohnert Companies,

bringing the base's total acreage to 217 acres.

NAAS OLF Cotati became operational in 1943.

Cotati was primarily used for touch & go exercises for aircraft from Alameda & Santa Rosa Naval Air Stations.

A 2-story control tower was located on the southeast side of the field.

image.jpeg.5ced7462f23f766faea485185c48b53a.jpeg

image.jpeg.1fc1d6659ccb0f51f8b25530477fb28d.jpeg

Cotati raceway | Photo course, Northern california, California

Cotati SCCA Race

Steve took the car to Cotati and clocked fast enough time through the traps before engine trouble waylaid him. He worked all night on the engine, preparing for Sunday's main..
d9e5d86597837c0076f5958f7f3a2d2a.jpg

Cotati 6 Hours | Revs Digital Library
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've ridden motorcycles since 1963.
Sold my last Harley last year... simply too dangerous here.

My wife just showed me a photo of a rice rocket that embedded itself through the passenger window of the car driven by an idiot on his phone who pulled out in front of the bike.

The bike was estimated to be going about 85 mph at impact.
Killed two in the car and the biker.

Here in my area, we have a major bike accident nearly every day.

My senior nurse daughter sees 'em regularly... they are on the gurney top shelf, and their leg is on the shelf below.

I miss riding, but would miss my legs or life even more.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, sassnetguy50 said:

@Subdeacon Joe Do you have information about the first bike you posted?  

Unfortunately I don't.  Searching with Google Lens just brings up similar images of different motorcycles with fairly general captions.

ADDED:

I found this article: https://americanmotorcyclist.com/classic-bikes/1908-indian-twin/

I think I might send the photo to the company and ask for information.

Edited by Subdeacon Joe

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Aren't the edge of danger and slight, or not so slight, oddness part of the fun of riding a motorcycle?

One always tempts fate when climbing on to a motorcycle, but there is such a thing as going too far. 

I once knew a guy that rode a chopper with a knucklehead engine the left side engine case removed to expose the big belt. He was missing his pinky finger on his left hand. The belt got it one day when he reached down to straighten his pant leg. 
Did he put the cover back on his engine after loosing a finger? Heck no.

About 4 months later, yep, you guessed it….POP! Off came his ring finger! He reached down to keep his pant leg from rubbing on the belt…

I wouldn’t ride a bike that had the potential to take my cajones or any other parts off. That’s all there is to it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Unfortunately I don't.  Searching with Google Lens just brings up similar images of different motorcycles with fairly general captions.

ADDED:

I found this article: https://americanmotorcyclist.com/classic-bikes/1908-indian-twin/

I think I might send the photo to the company and ask for information.

It looks like a racer custom or prototype between that 1908 and the newer 1911 style frame.  Notice the forks, swept downtube into a cradle frame, seat is on a post rather than  subframe.  The monotube backbone is similar to the 1908 design instead of the tank perimeter twin tube design.  The rear wheel is closer to the seat tube than on either frame design, shortened chainstays? The starting sprockets are gone, pedals fixed, extra capacity fuel tank all say modified racer but surely an engine running hard enough to race would need cooling fins on the cylinders.  Perhaps a prototype liquid cooled system? Perhaps a new free air head and valve train design being tested before welding on fins or casting complete cylinders?

Edited by sassnetguy50
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I’m betting the handling on that “Fokker” is downright spooky at anything above parking lot speed. Can you imagine the aerodynamics with any kind of breeze? Hopefully those are detached before riding on the steet. :o

Edited by Abilene Slim SASS 81783
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

It looks like a racer custom or prototype between that 1908 and the newer 1911 style frame.  Notice the forks, swept downtube into a cradle frame, seat is on a post rather than  subframe.  The monotube backbone is similar to the 1908 design instead of the tank perimeter twin tube design.  The rear wheel is closer to the seat tube than on either frame design, shortened chainstays? The starting sprockets are gone, pedals fixed, extra capacity fuel tank all say modified racer but surely an engine running hard enough to race would need cooling fins on the cylinders.  Perhaps a prototype liquid cooled system? Perhaps a new free air head and valve train design being tested before welding on fins or casting complete cylinders?

Could very well be a one-off bike.  From the American Motorcyclist link above:

Almost as soon as the Hendee Manufacturing Company began mass-producing Indian motorcycles in 1902, the company went racing. By 1907, motorcycle competition had become a popular form of entertainment throughout the U.S., with Indians dominating speed and reliability contests.

While the earliest machines were powered by single-cylinder engines, Indian built one-of-a-kind V-twins for its race team as early as 1905, and created a twin-cylinder road bike in 1907.

But to keep the brand competitive in local races, where the factory team wouldn’t be on hand, Indian also cranked out a small batch of production racers, starting in 1908.

I did send off an email to Indian with an attachment of that photo asking if they could shed any light on it.  If I get a response I'll post it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You will never see a Motorcycle parked outside of a Therapist office

Because it's Therapy all in its own .

2015-06-16 17.26.52.jpg

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I’m betting the handling on that “Fokker” is downright spooky at anything above parking lot speed. Can you imagine the aerodynamics with any kind of breeze? Hopefully those are detached before riding on the steet. :o

Good point. Imagine having your front end going airborne at speed or worse, the wings fighting you in a curve. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

You will never see a Motorcycle parked outside of a Therapist office

Because it's Therapy all in its own .

2015-06-16 17.26.52.jpg

Wouldn’t those handlebar streamers whip the snot out of the rider at street or highway speeds? Even worse with a cross wind?

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Wouldn’t those handlebar streamers whip the snot out of the rider at street or highway speeds? Even worse with a cross wind?

Nope .

They just fly out in the wind .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bgavin said:

The springer is a nice touch on a modern engine.

It's a 2006 factory (HD) Built 1947 Pan Clone .

Last Year HD made a Springer Softail .

Edited by Rooster Ron Wayne
  • Thanks 1

The rocker covers looked modern.
I remember as a kid a guy on my paper route had a pan sitting on his front porch every morning when I delivered the paper.

Didn't know what it was at the time, but I still remember the pan rocker covers.

• Like 1

This is my One owner 1977 FLHS .

This is the bike that latter in life becomes the Roadking .

I'm the second caretaker of her in her lifetime. 

I bought her from Jim the original owner who bought her new & rode her for 40 years .

I gave him twice what he bought her for new .

Love this old girl .

She is my Sunday ride around the lake bike .

Some of you may remember I was almost killed on my 1979 FLH in 2016 and got broken up bad.

This is the replacement bike for that bike that got destroyed in the crash .

IMG_20200329_113701_338.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My Grandfathers Henderson, sorry it's sideways.

OPACycle.jpg

Edited by Major E A Sterner #12916
  • Like 5

Me and my Bonneville

Bonneville.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, bgavin said:

My most comfortable ride was a '76 shovelhead.
The last one was a 2008 Sportster.
The shovelhead was more comfy to ride.

1978-2016.Bruce.Harleys.gauss20.1024pix.sfw.jpg

They all are more comfy when we was younger lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My last Sportster didn't sit right for my hips, and I wound up with a catch in one or both after a very short ride.
I'm not a fan of forward controls, so my leg angle wasn't right on that bike.
Which was a shame, as that 2008 was THE nicest Sportster out of the 5 that I owned over the years.

I still have fond memories of my Yamaha RD400 and Suzuki GS1000.
I sold off the Shovehead after my friend Mike passed me on his Honda 750 so fast, that I thought my bike stopped.

The GS1000 was the result, and I most definitely passed Mike and his Honda in a similar fashion.
If I had to choose, the GS1000 was the pinnacle for me... not a fan of crotch rocket designs.

• Like 3

On 8/21/2023 at 5:09 PM, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

This is my One owner 1977 FLHS .

This is the bike that latter in life becomes the Roadking .

I'm the second caretaker of her in her lifetime. 

I bought her from Jim the original owner who bought her new & rode her for 40 years .

I gave him twice what he bought her for new .

Love this old girl .

She is my Sunday ride around the lake bike .

Some of you may remember I was almost killed on my 1979 FLH in 2016 and got broken up bad.

This is the replacement bike for that bike that got destroyed in the crash .

IMG_20200329_113701_338.jpg

That's a really nice looking ride.

Is the joke about Shovelheads true, about be worried if they're not leaking, because they're out of oil?

My great grandfather on his "motorcycle" in the early 1900's, in Massachusetts. He owned a bicycle shop and motorized this one himself.

Charles Whyte Motorcycle.JPG

Charles Whyte2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My two in my sidecar rig about 14 years ago. Funny, I forgot I had bar end mirrors on it for a time. I really hated them, always seemed to get in my way.

BMWsidecar-1.webp

Edited by Springfield Slim SASS #24733
  • Like 4

:ph34r:  Ascot Park June, 1967.  1959 HD KR factory ride for Joe Leonard.  I was 3rd owner after it was released from the factory stable.  In '67 it was still competitive in the Amateur class.  A real thrill for a 23 year old.  Ron Lacher of San Diego behind me.

An hour after this photo was taken a goober fell off in front of me and launched me and machine into the air.  First thing to land was my knee against the crash wall.  Since it was built to withstand auto crashes, it didn't give an inch.  My femur did, though.  Came out through my leathers.  68 days in traction, 2 months in body cast, 2 months with groin to ankle leg cast, and a year before I walked without crutches.....

20180418_154641.thumb.jpg.45080d907a1a4668a219a9d94df3a701.jpg

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, El Chapo said:

That's a really nice looking ride.

Is the joke about Shovelheads true, about be worried if they're not leaking, because they're out of oil?

Not if they are put together correctly :unsure:

What most people don't understand is you have Cast Iron cylinders and Aluminum heads and cases. 

So the heat and expansion is different. 

So you MUST allow the engine to warm up before you take off for a ride .

I would dare to ride my Shovelhead anywhere with out worry .

But all Shovelheads are not taken care of like mine lol :D

• Like 1