SASS Wire Forum

Motorcycles

Subdeacon Joe

4 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I used to hear a lot of crap about the AMF Harley Davidsons. There probably wouldn’t even be a Harley Davidson if not for AMF!!!

They purchased Harley when it was just short of folding. They made many improvements to the brand, including disc brakes, improved electrical systems, modern controls, and improved lighting. Many of the improvements that were made after the family bought the company back and took it public were planned and designed by AMF engineers!

The AMF bikes were fine for the time they were produced and if maintained properly, were perfectly reliable.  I rode mine in stock configuration for several years as my only source of transportation and as long as I kept it serviced and tuned, it got me to where I wanted to go.

It now has over a third of a million miles on it and while it’s now fully customized, the remaining AMF parts are doing just fine.

I wouldn’t buy one. 

• Like 1

"

Two ladies sporting a 1897 Holden Crank Drive motorcycle and a 1936 500 New Imperial Twin. ca. 1936.

Holden were motorcycles produced between 1897 and 1902, from a design by Brig. Gen. Sir H. C. L. Holden.  (Patented in 1894, the Holden was the world’s first four-cylinder motorcycle)."

FB_IMG_1693851418017.thumb.jpg.15e8356b5f13dddfd9ac98fe04418171.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I wouldn’t buy one. 

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

And I won't own a crotch rocket.

And I’ve had the best of both in one motorcycle!  

I owned an original 1998 Buell White Lightning!!  1200 cc Harley power and a sleek, ultra quick “crotch rocket” chassis with a 5.5 gallon tank, carbon fiber and plastic bodywork, and some of the best brakes I’ve ever encountered on a motorcycle!  I replaced the exhaust with the appropriate Vance and Hines components, the carburetor with a new Mikuni and the air filter assembly with a K&N unit.

With just some intensive tuning and running 97 octane pump gas, it dynoed at 128 hp and produced a top speed of 156 mph with a smaller rider, (I was 6’2” tall, 260+ pounds, and I wear a size 54 jacket) my partner who weighed 165 and is 5’5” tall. It would wheel stand from cruising speed in third gear if you slipped the clutch a little and revved it full throttle. That bike was a RIOT!

I put the stock carburetor back on it and sold it to a friend after I lost some function in my left foot and it became difficult to change gears comfortably.

In 1999 they put an ignition rev limiter on the Buells because they decided that the bike was too dangerous for the average buyer.

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 4

In my area, the dolts riding crotch rockets are the ones pulling wheelies and smashing themselves into a zillion tiny pieces.  I see them on HW50 up on the rear wheel at 70+ mph, and I think "hell ain't but half full"

We had another fatality on our main street here this afternoon.
Somebody pulled out in front of him... and adios crotch rocket rider.
Last week, another crotch rocket was pulling 85 mph down one of our main streets when he T-boned a car.
Killed his ass instantly.

The worst I've read about was a crotch rocket in Sweden clocked at 155 mph (227 feet per second) when he t-boned a car and killed everybody in the car plus himself.  The carnage was massive.

I've owned a few rice rockets, but never a crotch rocket.
My last was a Suzuki GS-1000 that had more than enough Moxie for me to kill myself several times over.
That was probably THE nicest bike I've ever owned.

image.motorcycles.accident.002.155.mph.swf.jpg

Edited by bgavin
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, bgavin said:

And I won't own a crotch rocket.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

In my area, the dolts riding crotch rockets are the ones pulling wheelies and smashing themselves into a zillion tiny pieces.  I see them on HW50 up on the rear wheel at 70+ mph, and I think "hell ain't but half full"

Your logic sounds like what leftists say about guns and gun owners. “AR15s must be banned! All gun owners are psychos in waiting! They’ll eventually kill people!”

:lol::lol::lol:

Riding a crotch rocket is fun. And take it from me, you don’t become a stupid lunatic by riding one. 

That’s like me saying “Everyone that rides a Harley is a dirtbag biker.”

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

And I’ve had the best of both in one motorcycle!  

I owned an original 1998 Buell White Lightning!!  1200 cc Harley power and a sleek, ultra quick “crotch rocket” chassis with a 5.5 gallon tank, carbon fiber and plastic bodywork, and some of the best brakes I’ve ever encountered on a motorcycle!  I replaced the exhaust with the appropriate Vance and Hines components, the carburetor with a new Mikuni and the air filter assembly with a K&N unit.

With just some intensive tuning and running 97 octane pump gas, it dynoed at 128 hp and produced a top speed of 156 mph with a smaller rider, (I was 6’2” tall, 260+ pounds, and I wear a size 54 jacket) my partner who weighed 165 and is 5’5” tall. It would wheel stand from cruising speed in third gear if you slipped the clutch a little and revved it full throttle. That bike was a RIOT!

I put the stock carburetor back on it and sold it to a friend after I lost some function in my left foot and it became difficult to change gears comfortably.

In 1999 they put an ignition rev limiter on the Buells because they decided that the bike was too dangerous for the average buyer.

I wanted a Buell so bad but just couldn’t afford one. Once I could afford one they went under thus driving the prices up of all the ones in existence. Murphy’s Law. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pat Riot said:

I think you took that out of context.  :lol:

I did and enjoyed it. Kinda like calling you a rice burner! :D No offense taken or intended!:FlagAm: The important thing is keeping your face in the wind and the shiny side up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I used to hear a lot of crap about the AMF Harley Davidsons. There probably wouldn’t even be a Harley Davidson if not for AMF!!!

They purchased Harley when it was just short of folding. They made many improvements to the brand, including disc brakes, improved electrical systems, modern controls, and improved lighting. Many of the improvements that were made after the family bought the company back and took it public were planned and designed by AMF engineers!

The AMF bikes were fine for the time they were produced and if maintained properly, were perfectly reliable.  I rode mine in stock configuration for several years as my only source of transportation and as long as I kept it serviced and tuned, it got me to where I wanted to go.

It now has over a third of a million miles on it and while it’s now fully customized, the remaining AMF parts are doing just fine.

Unfortunately, just about everything motorized then that was built in the US and some other Western countries was poorly assembled. Didn’t matter how innovative the engineering was if the manufacturing was crap.

An acquaintance had purchased a new AMF Harley Sportster in 1976. It spent most of its first year at the dealer with myriad problems, so he got rid of it. Soured me on the brand. 

Adding on,  from 1970-1980 I had owned a Honda motorcycle, a Plymouth Duster, and Triumph TR7. I sold a wonderful motorcycle to buy the new Duster. Piece of crap. I sold that to buy a new TR7 which was an even bigger piece of crap. 

The TR7 killed British Leyland. The crap Detroit built should have killed them and the Japanese products almost sealed the coffin. If it wasn’t for Japanese competition, Detroit would probably be a backwater. 

Edited by Abilene Slim SASS 81783
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Your logic sounds like what leftists say about guns and gun owners. “AR15s must be banned! All gun owners are psychos in waiting! They’ll eventually kill people!”

:lol::lol::lol:

Riding a crotch rocket is fun. And take it from me, you don’t become a stupid lunatic by riding one. 

That’s like me saying “Everyone that rides a Harley is a dirtbag biker.”

Baloney.
You don't have an exclusive right to opinions.
You don't like Harleys... I don't like crotch rockets.
Since you stated yours in such a definite manner, I gave mine in the same manner.

Go back to school for your "logic"... you are way off base here.
I have to laugh at your illogical connection to gun grabbers.

I could not care less if a crotch rocket moron wants to chlorinate his own gene pool.

Nor did I mention anything about bans... that is all in your imagination.

The FACT is, crotch rocket morons get dead more frequently because they do more stupid things.
You can have the last word.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Baloney.
You don't have an exclusive right to opinions.
You don't like Harleys... I don't like crotch rockets.
Since you stated yours in such a definite manner, I gave mine in the same manner.

Go back to school for your "logic"... you are way off base here.
I have to laugh at your illogical connection to gun grabbers.

I could not care less if a crotch rocket moron wants to chlorinate his own gene pool.

Nor did I mention anything about bans... that is all in your imagination.

The FACT is, crotch rocket morons get dead more frequently because they do more stupid things.
You can have the last word.

I knew my comment would spin you up. I guess you still didn’t get my point. It was an analogy.

——————————-

Edited by Pat Riot

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

It’s getting tiresome. 

Although sometimes comical to read what grown men, me included whine about.;) Typical of real life Saloon!:ph34r: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Although sometimes comical to read what grown men, me included whine about.;) Typical of real life Saloon!:ph34r: 

I deleted my comment. Not worth listening to more whining. :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

It is actually the same as the gun comparison.

If you are ALREADY crazy then a crotch rocket is not for you.

For my , I think, third bike I had a CBR-1000RR Repsol Edition

I sold it after taking a 270* turn at 80 and pulling the front wheel of the ground halfway through to accelerate because I apparently wasent going fast enough. 

I had full front fork compression entering that turn at 80 slowing from 150mph on the freeway.

I pegged the needle more than a  few times.

I casually rode at 100+ EVERY TIME I took it out.

Lane splitting, wheelies, endos...freaking maniac.

And same as guns....the bike didn't make me do it...but I had to put myself on the prohibited person's list.

I've owned cruisers ever since.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

It is actually the same as the gun comparison.

If you are ALREADY crazy then a crotch rocket is not for you.

For my , I think, third bike I had a CBR-1000RR Repsol Edition

I sold it after taking a 270* turn at 80 and pulling the front wheel of the ground halfway through to accelerate because I apparently wasent going fast enough. 

I had full front fork compression entering that turn at 80 slowing from 150mph on the freeway.

I pegged the needle more than a  few times.

I casually rode at 100+ EVERY TIME I took it out.

Lane splitting, wheelies, endos...freaking maniac.

And same as guns....the bike didn't make me do it...but I had to put myself on the prohibited person's list.

I've owned cruisers ever since.

I had a buddy like that when the Kawasaki Z1-900 came out. Gotta admit the thing was a grin. 0 to 100 before you could let go of the throttle! :rolleyes: But I only encountered a 90° corner downhill at 80 on an unknown back road! Stone wall straight ahead, still don't know how I did it with a passenger and the first time I'd driven it! Ah, to be young and foolish again! Maybe not;)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I had a buddy like that when the Kawasaki Z1-900 came out. Gotta admit the thing was a grin. 0 to 100 before you could let go of the throttle! :rolleyes: But I only encountered a 90° corner downhill at 80 on an unknown back road! Stone wall straight ahead, still don't know how I did it with a passenger and the first time I'd driven it! Ah, to be young and foolish again! Maybe not;)

I've been thinking of getting a naked bike now that I'm a bit wiser...

But I've gotten to love tearing around on my big bagger.

I ride it like a much smaller bike and I get the thrills at much slower speeds.20230412_182306.thumb.jpg.f54b5f1e5628374f7f25732ae588e8a3.jpg

• Like 2

Scariest bikes I ever rode were the 500cc and 750cc Kawasaki 2-stroke triples back in 1971.  Blinding acceleration from 0 to death. Frightening handling above 80-90 mph on the street. 

The best high speed bike I rode was an ‘85 BMW K100. Rock Solid at 130mph. That’s been a lot of years ago. My children were young then and I realized a collision with a rabbit or squirrel could turn me into a greasy smear. Haven’t had the urge to do that since. 

Those were the days, huh? ;)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bgavin said:

We had another fatality on our main street here this afternoon.
Somebody pulled out in front of him... and adios crotch rocket rider.
Last week, another crotch rocket was pulling 85 mph down one of our main streets when he T-boned a car.
Killed his ass instantly.

The worst I've read about was a crotch rocket in Sweden clocked at 155 mph (227 feet per second) when he t-boned a car and killed everybody in the car plus himself.  The carnage was massive.

I've owned a few rice rockets, but never a crotch rocket.
My last was a Suzuki GS-1000 that had more than enough Moxie for me to kill myself several times over.
That was probably THE nicest bike I've ever owned.

image.motorcycles.accident.002.155.mph.swf.jpg

Have you ever ridden a crotch rocket?  I ask because if you had you'd understand the need to pull a wheelie while cruising, it gives your lower back a break from the murderous riding position.  It is not a decrepit man's bike.   Also, crotch rockets do attract some idiots. 

• Like 1

Many years ago I met a motorcycle stunt rider. I think his name was Bobby Chitwood. He claimed to be a relative of the famous Joie Chitwood. I met him after he crashed in a stunt show in my hometown. My buddies and I went to wish him well. I was 14 or 15. 
I recall him telling me some motorcycle safety tips when I said “I love motorcycles”. He said “Son, you don’t want to be like me. Always keep both wheels on the ground and you’ll have a lot less trouble. Doing stunts is very dangerous and the street is no place for stunts.”

He also said something about “cage drivers” and how they are safe in their metal cocoons and they don’t really care about motorcycles.

I have only purposely pulled a couple of  wheelies on a street bike.
I used to “canyon bomb” in SoCal. Find a curvy two or one lane road in a hilly or mountainous area and go like a bat out of hell hitting the curves. Fun. Exhilarating. Dangerous.That is just as dangerous as pulling wheelies or riding crazy on a freeway. 
I have had a few accidents while canyon bombing. I have had my worst accidents where cars were involved. 

My body has lots of scars, aches and pains derived from my 10 crashes. 
If I could go back in time would I change anything regarding motorcycles? Heck No! 

• Like 3

Took my BSA for a putt with a cast on my left leg and a cast on my right wrist. Had to use thumb and finger to work the throttle. That was a couple weeks after nearly getting killed by a cage driver on the XLCH! Cages and blue heads are very dangerous to bikers. Now I'm in the blue head category. :lol:

• Like 1

Yes, you spun me up, and intentionally.

This discussion started out as:
Pat:  I wouldn't buy one
Me:  And I won't own a crotch rocket.

From there it descended in personal assaults:
Pat:  Your logic sounds like what leftists say about guns and gun owners. “AR15s must be banned! All gun owners are psychos in waiting! They’ll eventually kill people!”

Last night yet another crotch rocket t-boned a truck here.
He was going so fast his bike was obliterated into a zillion pieces.

My guitar player's wife got to see a crotch rocket rider disintegrating into gooey pieces as he flashed by the front of her car.  This pair of morons was clocked over 100 mph on Sunrise Ave here.  A pickup in front of her pulled out in front of the bikes.  The outside moron dodged the truck, but the inside moron t-boned him at 100 mph and disintegrated from the impact.

I fully support the unrestricted right of ownership of both bikes and guns of all types.
Along with that comes the responsibility of ownership.

Those who choose to t-bone cars at 85 mph and trucks at 100 mph have owned the consequences of their choices.
Same as those pulling wheelies on the freeway at 70+ mph then go down and get smashed to bits and run over by traffic.

I don't have a dog in this fight.
I simply don't like the look or feel of crotch rockets, same as others don't like Harleys.

Edited by bgavin

I’ve managed to survive for over fifty years riding and driving every sort of motorcycle, car, and truck!

I’ve raced cars, just about every way you can imagine! I’ve drag raced motorcycles and boats, off roaded trucks, Jeeps, and motorcycles, and even tried my hand at demolition derby. I won’t tell how fast I have been on public roads, but most people will say that I am entirely crazy and they’re probably right.

I figure that I have managed to stay alive by picking my opportunities.

I espouse the idea of banning low performance drivers, NOT high performance vehicles!!

He who rides fastest, rides alone!

When you’re putting it all on the line, be sure you know where the line is!

Never underestimate how stupid people can be!

If it’s got good brakes, good tires, the lights work, and it’s reliable, I’ll ride it or ride with the guy that’s on it, so long as that rider keeps his interval and shows common sense.

• Like 3

Ill tell you a secret...

Psst, lean in real close...

Anyone on two wheels; crotch rocket, Harley, Bmw or Vespa scooter that impacts a car, truck or semi at any road going speed is going to have a bad day.

Quit badmouthing folks or their rides just because their "game" differs from yours.

ALL motorcycles are inherently dangerous and irresponsible - regardless of brand name, engine cc's or riding position - the folks that CHOOSE to risk life and limb riding them have a lot more in common than they have differences.

Motorcycles are cool - PERIOD.

So if you ride and you can't acknowledge that someones else's two wheeler is cool - then you are not a biker; you're just some guy who happens to own a motorcycle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What name would you attach to someone who has ridden a million miles on motorcycles. This person rode enduro dirt bikes when he was still in and just out of high school. He rode some of the first of the Japanese super bikes on drag strips in the very early seventies. He was arrested and fined for riding a chopped Sportster in Daytona in 1973 because it had rectangular headlights, (had to go buy a round headlight assembly and install it in the impound lot behind the police station). He’s been asked to prospect with more than one 1% bike club. He’s ridden a hopped up Suzuki Hayabusa to a speedometer indicated 207 mph on a deserted highway. He rode a wheelstand at over 80 mph, again on a deserted road. He has ridden the same old Harley Davidson for thirty-four years, including several years during which it was his only means of transportation. 

Would he be a “dirtbag biker”?

Would he be a “crotch rocket lunatic”?

Would he be a “dirt bike racer”?

Would he be street racer?

Would he be a “1%er”?

How about “scooter trash”?

Maybe a “rice rider” or “rice grinder”?

This same fella has held a job for 98% of his adult life, drew his first paycheck at age fourteen, coached, managed, and directed youth sports for fifteen years in his community, organized and participated in charitable events in his own and surrounding counties, has run his own businesses on more than one occasion, ran a professional racing program for ten + years, and has been married to the same woman for forty-seven years.

Calling names and disrespecting others because you don’t like what or how they ride just ain’t cool and, while nearly ALL of us are guilty of doing so, should be consciously avoided.

• Like 2

My claim to fame (from Hot Bike magazine, May 1998):

image.png.c2b73af27a155b8ab96b21ec3a029dc6.png

I only have about 300,000 miles on bikes starting in the 60's on Japanese trail bikes and progressing through mainly Hondas up to a 750 in 1974. After a crash in '76, I was off bikes until I bought a 1991 HD FXR (which I still have with almost 200,000 miles on it) and purchased the above Indian in the early 90's. 

I have never ridden a sport bike but have friends who do. As many have stated above, it is the rider that is the most dangerous element of a motorcycle. If ridden with the skill and knowledge necessary to fully utilize the bike and the environment in which it is ridden (traffic, road conditions, weather, etc.) the ride can be very safe and many times more enjoyable than using a 4 wheel vehicle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

My claim to fame (from Hot Bike magazine, May 1998):

image.png.c2b73af27a155b8ab96b21ec3a029dc6.png

I only have about 300,000 miles on bikes starting in the 60's on Japanese trail bikes and progressing through mainly Hondas up to a 750 in 1974. After a crash in '76, I was off bikes until I bought a 1991 HD FXR (which I still have with almost 200,000 miles on it) and purchased the above Indian in the early 90's. 

I have never ridden a sport bike but have friends who do. As many have stated above, it is the rider that is the most dangerous element of a motorcycle. If ridden with the skill and knowledge necessary to fully utilize the bike and the environment in which it is ridden (traffic, road conditions, weather, etc.) the ride can be very safe and many times more enjoyable than using a 4 wheel vehicle.

Gorgeous. :wub:

• Like 1