SASS Wire Forum

Banjo Picker Advice

Yul Lose

I was taking banjo lessons a few years ago and really enjoying it and then my instructor and his wife split up and I haven’t picked up the banjo since then, kinda sounds like a sad country song, don’t it?:D Anyway I’ve got hearing aids now and wonder if I’ll be able to pick it up and play it again. Any advice from you banjo picking, hearing aid wearers? Could probably make a song out of that too.

I don't wear hearing aids.
#1 rule:  PRACTICE SLOWLY

Go SO slow it makes your head ache.
Learn the variations of the 8th note Scruggs rolls
Start with T-1-2  T-1-2 T-3, repeat
Then mix it up in variations of the above.

DON'T RUSH.

Remember the definition of a Gentleman:  "A man who knows how to play a banjo... and doesn't."

After my hearing went, I had to give up playing my pipes.

Some notes just don't register correctly, I can't tune the drones and the grace notes are missing when I play.

Sold my set and the parlour pipes, even the practice chanters.

Sigh.

Getting old sucks!

Perfect pitch is defined as tossing a banjo, zither, or auto harp into a dumpster without hitting the sides of the dumpster!!  :lol:

It’s a JOKE, son!! A joke!!

On 7/14/2023 at 7:59 PM, Yul Lose said:

I was taking banjo lessons a few years ago and really enjoying it and then my instructor and his wife split up and I haven’t picked up the banjo since then, kinda sounds like a sad country song, don’t it?:D Anyway I’ve got hearing aids now and wonder if I’ll be able to pick it up and play it again. Any advice from you banjo picking, hearing aid wearers? Could probably make a song out of that too.

You aren't planning on moving to N. Georgia to play a banjo...near a river... that tourists canoe on...are you?:o:P

21 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Anybody who don't like banjos or bag pipes is an anti American, sissyfied, left wing, snot nosed, antisocial, commie misfit who not only looks funny but their feet stink, too.

So there!  :angry:  :P

Amen brother!!

10 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

You aren't planning on moving to N. Georgia to play a banjo...near a river... that tourists canoe on...are you?:o:P

I'm not moving there (might move close but stay in TN), but one of my best friends lives in N. Georgia and we did play banjo on the Ocoee a couple years ago :D

FB_IMG_1689642075980.thumb.jpg.f78273af1f6e653c6d4975cafeafca7e.jpg

P.S. I never shot a clean match until after I started playing banjo. Since then I've shot 2 state matches and '21 EOT clean. Coincidence? I think not. It's great help for a Gunfighter! 

Every time I see "banjo picker" I briefly wonder if they grow on trees, vines, or bushes.  When do they ripen?   Do you have to peel or shell them?

As to advice, wear long sleeves and closed toe shoes, stay hydrated.

A man walks into a pawn shop and sees a giant stuffed rat.  He buys it and as he is walking home he notices that increasingly, more rats are following him.  He goes down to the river and throws the stuffed rat in and all of the other rats run into the river.  He then goes back to the pawn shop and inquires; "do you have any banjos"?

Years ago we drove town from Connellsville PA, through Morgan Town (hiya Pat) then down in to WV.
Along the way, we passed an old place with Mountain People.
Honest to goodness, I saw that same kid from Deliverance, on the porch of one of those old houses.

Archived