SASS Wire Forum

40-65 brass from 45-70

Trying to form 45-70 brass to 40-65 and having no luck. I'm using mostly Starline brass, RCBS 40-65 sizing die and Lyman T-Max press. I'm not the strongest guy by any means, but they will barely start and that's it. If I turn the die out and do it in 4 steps it gets it done, but the brass REALLY looks crappy. I've used One Shot and Imperial with the same results. What am I doing wrong.

I resized 45-90 into 40-82. It took multiple steps and I kept turning the case 90 degrees as I did. The first few were ruined but practice made perfect. You also will want to anneal the brass first.

1 hour ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

If it was available I would.

Powder Valley has it on their website.

If you still can't find any, PM me. I've got a bunch of once fired and new Starline.

Selling my Rolling Block and all the brass and lead.

I'll separate it if you need brass.

51 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You want a Lanolin based case lube like Dillon sells. 

The wax based lubes are useless. 

This is true. I changed case lube and it made a world of difference.

I made a lot of .40-65 brass from .45-70.  It's a slow process.  I used Imperial case lube.  Had to work slowly, about a turn of the die or so each press, but I lost none that I can remember and the resulting brass shot well in my Browning BPCR.  Just don't get into any rush, and size first in a .45-70 die.  It works.... 

10 hours ago, BenW said:

I made a lot of .40-65 brass from .45-70.  It's a slow process.  I used Imperial case lube.  Had to work slowly, about a turn of the die or so each press, but I lost none that I can remember and the resulting brass shot well in my Browning BPCR.  Just don't get into any rush, and size first in a .45-70 die.  It works.... 

Same thing for me and my Browning BPCR.  I've made several hundred using star-line brass and haven't lost a one.  I anneal the brass first (very important), per star-line instructions.  It takes 3 passes thru my RCBS dies.  The brass grows a bit long, so when I am finished, I trim the cases.  I found it helps to fire form the new case before shooting them in competition.  

13 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You want a Lanolin based case lube like Dillon sells. 

The wax based lubes are useless. 

I started re-sizing 45-70 brass to 60-65 before new 40-65 brass was available. I was having problems as described above until an old timer told me about anhydrous lanolin. I had my druggist order a one-pound jar and it solved the problem. A very light application and re-size in one smooth stroke. You do have to clean the residue from the brass before trimming to the correct length.

Lucky :D

Starline 40-65 brass is not the correct length. It says so right on the order page. It comes about .015" short of the the correct OAL. No big deal if you're not shooting in competition.

I ended up sizing 45-70 and then cutting to the correct length.

Steve Herret used VO5 hair dressing for forming the 30 Herret cases with great success      GW

1 hour ago, G W Wade said:

Steve Herret used VO5 hair dressing for forming the 30 Herret cases with great success      GW

We also had a friend GW, that dipped his fingers in STP oil treatment and spread on cases for sizing lube......Think about it you'll come up with his name.

14 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Starline 40-65 brass is not the correct length. It says so right on the order page. It comes about .015" short of the the correct OAL. No big deal if you're not shooting in competition.

I ended up sizing 45-70 and then cutting to the correct length.

I am not so sure that short brass is all that important as I once did.  My son is a AAA BPCR Silhouette competitor (now working on his Masters class).  All he has ever shot is Starline 40-65 brass.  I load his rounds, and some are as much as .020 short.  Go figure.

On 5/3/2023 at 6:37 AM, Kid Rich said:

Bob I could trade you some 40-65 for 45-70 if you are shooting this weekend at Rio or Tombstone. I can also show you how to convert what you have.

kR

We are shooting Rio,I'll bring some 45-70. Thanks

Thanks for the responses, I did borrow some Dillon lube and while it was better it still was quite a chore and made the resized brass look pretty beat up. Thanks to Flying W for letting me get some 40-65 brass. Now just the LONG wait for the CPA to show up.

Archived