Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Funny Photos - add some.


Pat Riot

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

il_1588xN.4597060671_2vpg.thumb.jpg.5dd613b6bd40b3125eaf5f86d57456b5.jpg

 

All I see is a little blue box with a question mark in it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

FB_IMG_1708311643436.jpg.52106256137f8b54df237035234a2763.jpg

 

Do you think if I printed that one then mailed that coupon for the cookbook in to Kraft they would send me a Cookbook? :D

 

“Hamburger Steaks”: I haven’t seen or heard that in years. I recall my Mom saying “Calling them hamburger steaks is something hoity-toity people call hamburgers.”

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hamburgers go in a bun, and you eat it with your fingers.

 

Hamburger steak sits on the plate by itself, and you eat it with a knife and fork.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Alpo said:

Hamburgers go in a bun, and you eat it with your fingers.

 

Hamburger steak sits on the plate by itself, and you eat it with a knife and fork.

 

 

"Sandwich of Steak in the Hamburg Style."

I guess, per what you wrote, there is no such thing as a "steak sandwich."

 

Edited by Subdeacon Joe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

 

 

"Sandwich of Steak in the Hamburg Style."

I guess, per what you wrote, there is no such thing as a "steak sandwich."

 

Not at all. I was responding to Pat's comment about what his mother said. I'm assuming that was around the 60s era? Not the 30s when the hamburger first arrived here.

 

In my house, when I was growing up, a hamburger was about a 3 ounce piece of ground beef that was fried and you ate it on a bun with your fingers. A hamburger steak was a 6 to 8 ounce piece of ground beef that was broiled, and you ate it on a plate using a knife and fork. A hamburger was often eaten for lunch but a hamburger steak was normally supper.

 

I understand what Pat's mother was saying. I just disagree with her.

 

As to your comment on steak and a steak sandwich, that's like saying that because the ham sandwich exists, ham steak cannot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/19/2024 at 6:29 AM, Alpo said:

Not at all. I was responding to Pat's comment about what his mother said. I'm assuming that was around the 60s era? Not the 30s when the hamburger first arrived here.

 

In my house, when I was growing up, a hamburger was about a 3 ounce piece of ground beef that was fried and you ate it on a bun with your fingers. A hamburger steak was a 6 to 8 ounce piece of ground beef that was broiled, and you ate it on a plate using a knife and fork. A hamburger was often eaten for lunch but a hamburger steak was normally supper.

 

I understand what Pat's mother was saying. I just disagree with her.

 

As to your comment on steak and a steak sandwich, that's like saying that because the ham sandwich exists, ham steak cannot.

 

 

I was just going off what you wrote which seemed to imply that any steak was only on a plate, not on bun or bread.

 

If I recall the timeline,a Mr. Salisbury popularized cooked chopped or ground beef as a health food in the  middle of the 19th century, and in late 19th century it started being put on bread in food establishments.

First widespread public exposure was the 1904 Worlds Fair, and White Castle introducing their version in 1921.

 

I don't recall us ever having "hamburger steak" as you describe it, other than cooking up a raft of hamburger patties at a cookout, or a platter of them on the dinner table, and people then building their own burgers (white bread, mustard, catsup, lettuce, sliced onions, sliver tomatoes, and dill pickles sliced lengthwise about 1/8 inch thick).    I think mom got 3 or 4 burgers per pound.  At cookouts kids might just grab the meat and forego anything else, just eating it as a big meat cookie.

 

One cookout at church, Independence Day in fact, we were hosting the octet from St. Vladimir's Seminary that had just sung at Fort Ross.  I was pretty much in charge of the grill.  Their choirmaster asked for his burger rare...very rare

  "Hold out your hand." I said.  He got a puzzled look but still held his hand out.  I slapped a raw burger patty into his hand.  He stared at it for maybe 10 seconds, "I should have known better" he said, then laughed and slapped it on the grill.

Edited by Subdeacon Joe
color, size, and font
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Wow! I wonder how that ended?

What is that thing?? Not the plane!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

What is that thing?? Not the plane!!

 

That's the refueling basket, probably from a KC-130. You can see his refueling probe hooked to the basket. Something broke and he'll have to land with that thing. There's a small fitting in the basket that the probe fits into and it grips the probe. It's purpose its to keep one plugged in as the receiver moves in and out. If he tries to retract the probe, he's liable to break something else. When you are ready to disengage, you back off and when you reach the length that the tanker sets, the probe pops out of the basket and away you go. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's where my thoughts were heading, but couldn't figure why the apparatus didn't look like it belonged there!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

What is that thing?? Not the plane!!

 

29 minutes ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

 

That's the refueling basket, probably from a KC-130. You can see his refueling probe hooked to the basket. Something broke and he'll have to land with that thing. There's a small fitting in the basket that the probe fits into and it grips the probe. It's purpose its to keep one plugged in as the receiver moves in and out. If he tries to retract the probe, he's liable to break something else. When you are ready to disengage, you back off and when you reach the length that the tanker sets, the probe pops out of the basket and away you go. 

It's supposed to look like this:

image.png.4e3473ca2c750872f29fc4143a6e8841.png

image.png.d4fe6f1ed979f1e168a1b24944d38708.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.