SASS Wire Forum

My Cartridge boxes

Vail Vigilante

Early on I learned that the loading table is I place for focused loading of your firearms and being organized is very helpful. I did not like loading from my belt and I didn’t care for any of the commercial options either. So I made this. The boxes are made to hold 20 standard diameter short action rifle rounds (308 243 etc). I used some cork I had to elevate the rounds. My color code is green for 44 mag red is 45 Colt for the right hand gun and no color is 45 Colt for the left hand gun.  This is a inexpensive solution that I thought I would share. I have 7 of these. I carry one to each stage and a spare in my cart. I’ve used it for a bit now. I just dump the empty box into a pouch on the back of my belt when I’m all loaded up. I carry a few of each type in my belt. I hope someone else might find this useful.

12C6D115-7A41-4C3C-A65F-027778DA9547.jpeg

A1D37674-7A68-40CB-905B-C8B0660A3907.jpeg

If it goes by 3s it should hold 21, not 18 even then its going to be a round in hand as you start to load the rifle. Or add another ring around the edge for 5 at once and hold 30 total.

For 22LR  I use a 'billet box' that dispenses by 5s.

9 hours ago, Vail Vigilante said:

Early on I learned that the loading table is I place for focused loading of your firearms and being organized is very helpful. I did not like loading from my belt and I didn’t care for any of the commercial options either. So I made this. The boxes are made to hold 20 standard diameter short action rifle rounds (308 243 etc). I used some cork I had to elevate the rounds. My color code is green for 44 mag red is 45 Colt for the right hand gun and no color is 45 Colt for the left hand gun.  This is a inexpensive solution that I thought I would share. I have 7 of these. I carry one to each stage and a spare in my cart. I’ve used it for a bit now. I just dump the empty box into a pouch on the back of my belt when I’m all loaded up. I carry a few of each type in my belt. I hope someone else might find this useful.

12C6D115-7A41-4C3C-A65F-027778DA9547.jpeg

A1D37674-7A68-40CB-905B-C8B0660A3907.jpeg

Are the right and left hand 45 Colt loads actually different or is it just for keeping track of which gun is loaded?

4 hours ago, Bo B. Fetterman said:

If it goes by 3s it should hold 21, not 18 even then its going to be a round in hand as you start to load the rifle. Or add another ring around the edge for 5 at once and hold 30 total.

For 22LR  I use a 'billet box' that dispenses by 5s.

Is loading timed? I know they are making a bunch of different versions. Supposedly the one shown was not SASS specific. People were requesting  a block so 2 revolvers could be completely filled so that’s what is showed. They are not just for CAS only

I started using this box method for my wife years ago. Using a bandsaw, I cut appropriate size rifle box down to pistol length. I started with 10 but two have disappeared over time. The remaining 8 is perfect for a day's match giving you a few extra. It separates 45 Colt and C45S. 

I use all 1 caliber. So no need to sort. These were like 2 for a dollar at a craft store. Dump the shells on the table and load. Hang the bag on my knife handle and shoot the stage. Throw the empty cases back in it at the unloading table. Cheap and efficient for me. As for checking for high primers etc I do all of that at home after reloading before I box them for storage. 

20230430_102226.jpg

3 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Are the right and left hand 45 Colt loads actually different or is it just for keeping track of which gun is loaded?

The right hand gun is persnickety more than most about cartridge dimensions. So it’s ammo gets loaded and cylinder spun at home. That said it is accurate so I’m not going to mess with it I will just give it what it wants.

3 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

I use all 1 caliber. So no need to sort. These were like 2 for a dollar at a craft store. Dump the shells on the table and load. Hang the bag on my knife handle and shoot the stage. Throw the empty cases back in it at the unloading table. Cheap and efficient for me. As for checking for high primers etc I do all of that at home after reloading before I box them for storage. 

20230430_102226.jpg

That's what I was thinking , just dump them out lol. faster, all these loading tools may be complicating a simple problem

Ain't that what the pockets on the vest're for?

42 minutes ago, The Blarney Kid said:

I have 3 20 round 45cal plastic cases that I use. They have 4 rows of 5. 

I used to do that.  Had one for large caliber and one for small caliber, loaded them up at the cart for each stage.  There was an article in a really old Chronicle where someone made a leather holder on his belt for that.  Now I just fill up velvet drawstring bags the night before and dump them on the table, kind of like what Turkey Flats Jack's but purtier. :)  

1 minute ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I used to do that.  Had one for large caliber and one for small caliber, loaded them up at the cart for each stage.  There was an article in a really old Chronicle where someone made a leather holder on his belt for that.  Now I just fill up velvet drawstring bags the night before and dump them on the table, kind of like what Turkey Flats Jack's but purtier. :)  

I need to separate the rounds due to shooting different BP loads identified by headstamps.

42 minutes ago, The Blarney Kid said:

I need to separate the rounds due to shooting different BP loads identified by headstamps.

I do, too, but different colored stripes on the bottom of the rims. :)

VV: how does that work, shooting 44 mag and 45 Colt from the right hand gun?

13 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

And if it's the same velvet drawstring bag I'm thinking of, a lot more fun to acquire!  :D

5 hours ago, VinnieBoomBah said:

And if it's the same velvet drawstring bag I'm thinking of, a lot more fun to acquire!  :D

If you are thinking Crown Royal, those aren't velvet ;)  But a brother was into that so I have a bunch of those as well.  These are very small, just large enough for 20 rounds, and are in several different colors.

I use a small leather pouch, loaded with all the same 44 cal. rounds.  I always dump the rounds on the loading table and put in separate piles, 5  5  and 10 for the rifle.  If while I am loading there is a cease fire called, I know when to start when it is all clear to continue to load.  I hang the pouch on my knife handle and use it to collect my empties, simple, easy and efficient.

On 4/30/2023 at 7:26 AM, Turkey Flats Jack said:

20230430_102226.jpg

This is also what I do and works great even with two different calibers, except I only put clean rounds in them. At the unloading table I have a larger bag to put the dirty shells and hulls in.

On 5/5/2023 at 10:21 PM, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

VV: how does that work, shooting 44 mag and 45 Colt from the right hand gun?

44 Magnum is for the rifle. Red 45 in the right hand gun. No color 45 in the left hand gun.

You sure like to make work for yourself, is all I can say.

Archived