SASS Wire Forum

Healthiest cheeseburgers 2023

Rye Miles #13621

We don't have What-a-burger here but we do have Rally's which was #3. I'm surprised Burger King was one of the worst since they're supposedly "grilled". Wendy's was LAST!

https://www.foxla.com/news/in-n-out-burger-healthiest-fast-food-chain-cheeseburger-study

If you’re eating a cheeseburger, you’re probably not interested in “HEALTHY”!<_<

Burgers and steaks are something I can make as well as any restaurant, and I buy grass fed beef from a rancher friend.  I will order if it is the best option for the place, but prefer to order things I can't or don't cook.

the best burgers are made at home.  my wife bakes the best buns, I grill the meat, add good cheese and sauces to taste.  Salad and tomatoes should not be missing either.  I'm a big fan of American bbq.  I built a large smoker with my brother and own several Weber and Napoleon grills.  I'm trying to live the US life as best as I can here in Germany.  that's why I'm in Cowboy Action Shooting now.

I've done a lot of electrical work at Checkers/Rally Headquarters located in Tampa and have plenty done electrical work at various Checkers locations around Tampa Bay. Trust me when I say, there is nothing healthy about anything Checkers. They are some of the nastiest, dirtiest, roach ridden, most unclean  kitchens that I've ever had the displeasure of working in. Almost all Oriental food places run a close second. I can't speak about Rally's as we don't have them here in Florida that I've seen but from what I've seen at Corporate, the business model and philosophy is the same.

I'm not much of a person that care too much about eating healthy all of the time and I love a good bacon double cheeseburger with 1,000 Island dressing on it. I may not care too much about eating healthy but I do care A LOT about eating at, or getting take out from, a clean establishment.

"Cheeseburgers aren't healthy!"  Well, not if you sit and eat five of them, with two large fries and a 48 ounce soda.  
Check out the nutrition here: https://www.in-n-out.com/menu/nutrition-info

Compare to:

https://www.carbmanager.com/food-detail/nl:6d55e8471c7203d8a688c8a59d043491/dinner-roll
https://www.eatthismuch.com/food/nutrition/center-cut-top-sirloin-6-oz-with-baked-potato-with,2242479/
with https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calories.asp?recipe=22397

I know, I know, it isn't hand fed grass while in a hammock, died happy beef.  And I understand that for a very small percentage of the population the tiny differences in nutrition between grass fed and grain fed may have significant effects on health.  But nutritionally the two aren't all that different. From "Healthline"

There can also be subtle differences in taste. Grass-fed beef is often leaner and may have a different texture.

Even though grass-fed beef contains higher amounts of certain nutrients, there is currently no compelling evidence that it’s significantly healthier than grain-fed beef in the context of a balanced diet.

In the end, the choice depends on your preferences and ideals. Some people prefer grass-fed, while others prefer grain-fed. Try both and see which one you like better.

SUMMARY

Although grass and grain-fed beef differ in several nutrients, their effects on your health may be similar.

46 minutes ago, Forest Gun Germany said:

Small selection of the last Grill& BBQ https://photos.app.goo.gl/R9BRPPky2em36AtA9

Looking good Pard, now I want a burger!

43 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I've done a lot of electrical work at Checkers/Rally Headquarters located in Tampa and have plenty done electrical work at various Checkers locations around Tampa Bay. Trust me when I say, there is nothing healthy about anything Checkers. They are some of the nastiest, dirtiest, roach ridden, most unclean  kitchens that I've ever had the displeasure of working in. Almost all Oriental food places run a close second. I can't speak about Rally's as we don't have them here in Florida that I've seen but from what I've seen at Corporate, the business model and philosophy is the same.

I'm not much of a person that care too much about eating healthy all of the time and I love a good bacon double cheeseburger with 1,000 Island dressing on it. I may not care too much about eating healthy but I do care A LOT about eating at, or getting take out from, a clean establishment.

That's Florida, you guys got cockroaches all over the place!:P:lol:

Just now, Rip Snorter said:

Oh, but those are Palmetto Bugs!

Oops I forgot about that! :lol:

4 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That's Florida, you guys got cockroaches all over the place!:P:lol:

The roaches have plenty to eat off the Checker's floors and behind the machines. By the way, DON'T EVER OPEN the floor access to go under the structure unless you have a flamethrower. If that doesn't provide a clear picture of the situation...nothing will.

1 minute ago, Rip Snorter said:

Oh, but those are Palmetto Bugs!

Just now, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Oops I forgot about that! :lol:

Palmetto bugs are just big roaches. Florida has a multicultural assortment of roaches.;)

This was always my favorite hamburger except for local family restaurants. Not many around anymore, there used to be one less than a mile from house, carhops and a hangout spot for teenagers at night. 

https://www.bigboy.com/location/big-boy®-brookpark%2C-oh 

Doesn't that look good???

image.png.6573b8f907b22e7e277a9c579b8d0507.png

3 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

The roaches have plenty to eat off the Checker's floors and behind the machines. By the way, DON'T EVER OPEN the floor access to go under the structure unless you have a flamethrower. If that doesn't provide a clear picture of the situation...nothing will.

Having been a phone guy, I have to concur! Only place I've seen more roaches than in a restaurant kitchen is in the homes of Housing Authority tenants. You'd be absolutely creeped and amazed at how many fit in a phone jack or the phone itself. A common repair call was for the phone not ringing, you'd open it up and the bell would be loaded and also covered by squished ones from the clapper! Drilled a hole in a wall by the baseboard once and the just literally poured out of the wall. Yuck!

When I go for a cheeseburger, I’m not concerned in the slightest about the nutritional value of the meal.

I want three things! 

I want a juicy, flavorful patty with some pink in the middle and a mild char on the outside. It should REQUIRE several napkins to keep the warm juices from reaching my elbows! Pickle, onion and a ripe, salty tomato, along with some good mayo are welcome additions, but the meat’s gotta’ be right!!   (If you flip a burger more than once you’ve screwed it up!)

I want the cheese to be melted with just a hint of browning and it should have a strong flavor that matches the taste of the meat. The cheese should blend well with the juices as it tries to overrun the sides of the bun!!

I want a bun that’ll hold up to rest of the sandwich!!  It should still be all one piece when I take that last bite!! The bread/bun should add to the flavor of the sandwich and NOT come apart, leaving me holding a mess of meat, cheese, and condiments oozing between my fingers!!

I don’t ask for much!!  You can grill it,  cook it on a flat top griddle, broil it in the oven, or fry it in a skillet.  PLEASE! Just don’t overcook it or go poking it with the spatula!  Those juices are essential to a good cheeseburger!! 

Here's a Horseshoe Cheeseburger!

https://dailyillini.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/20121203-AMX-TRAVEL_LINCOLN-SPRINGFIELD_1_MS.JPG-801x900.jpg

8 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Healthiest cheeseburger -- I thing this deserves a little beating about the head and neck.

777.jpg

Interesting how the phrase differs - where I grew up if was "Beaten about the head and shoulders."

1 minute ago, Forest Gun Germany said:

Southbavaria, near Altötting

I spent a year in Bad Tölz back in the 60s ❤️

63D6EE43-06D5-4435-83D0-F35FD351C7F7.jpeg

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Palmetto bugs are just big roaches. Florida has a multicultural assortment of roaches.;)

And reptiles, and spiders, and Yankees. :lol:

2 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Burgers and steaks are something I can make as well as any restaurant, and I buy grass fed beef from a rancher friend.  I will order if it is the best option for the place, but prefer to order things I can't or don't cook.

Same here , or do Elk or Buffalo on the grill (Sometimes cold smoked for appx 30 minutes before cooking ) , If you are lucky I will make my own Buns (rustic wheat style )  I will have to do some here soon .

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

This was always my favorite hamburger except for local family restaurants. Not many around anymore, there used to be one less than a mile from house, carhops and a hangout spot for teenagers at night. 

https://www.bigboy.com/location/big-boy®-brookpark%2C-oh 

Doesn't that look good???

image.png.6573b8f907b22e7e277a9c579b8d0507.png

Ironically, I worked at Frisch's Big Boy during the summer in 1975 and '76, made something like $1.95 an hour or something like that. When I graduated from high school, I went to work there. I had moved out of my parents house and was on my own. Let's just say that it's a good thing that I worked at a restaurant. I will say that Frisch's was very clean and had quality food. My personal favorite was the cod sandwich w/cheese. I must have made a million of those Big Boys, okay maybe not that many, but a bunch. A lot of good memories, or lack of, in connection with Frisch's.

Now, back to the burger thing. All these pictures and descriptions (with Blackwater's possibly being the best description of all time), I'm REALLY hungry now. The best "fast" burger place around me now is 5 Guys and Culvers. Culvers is my choice but it's a gamble, sometimes good, sometimes...not so much. Regardless, the last thing I'm thinking about now is a healthy cheeseburger.

I had a good bacon cheeseburger at Dairy Queen a couple of days ago. 
Burger King is pretty Ho-hum for burgers here. 
Wendy’s is a No-Go. Not ordering from a kiosk, period. 
McDonalds is a No-Go

Hardees is okay, but it ain’t Carl’s Jr, for sure. 

I miss Carl’s Jr and In & Out burgers…not bad enough to go back to CA though. 

I have decided to try some of the mom & pop types restaurants around here for burgers. 

Archived