SASS Wire Forum

Healthiest cheeseburgers 2023

Rye Miles #13621

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Coming to Nashville in 2026.

New Regional Corporate Headquarters and maybe sooner for franchises!!!

I had In ‘n’ Out when we were out west a few times.  Wasn’t bad!

We have a Frisch's Big Boy about a mile away. Will hit the drive through from time to time. On occasion go in for sit down. Usually opt for a hamburger instead of a cheeseburger, but the fish sandwich is a favorite too.

I try to avoid the big chains as much as possible. My personal favorite burgers are at a restaurant south of here in a small village called Yellow Springs. I try to eat healthy, but sometimes, you have to enjoy life. If I want to split the difference, there are a couple of restaurants locally that do bison burgers. The airport cafe at the small airport up in Urbana does them well. 

5 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Ironically, I worked at Frisch's Big Boy during the summer in 1975 and '76, made something like $1.95 an hour or something like that. When I graduated from high school, I went to work there. I had moved out of my parents house and was on my own. Let's just say that it's a good thing that I worked at a restaurant. I will say that Frisch's was very clean and had quality food. My personal favorite was the cod sandwich w/cheese. I must have made a million of those Big Boys, okay maybe not that many, but a bunch. A lot of good memories, or lack of, in connection with Frisch's.

Now, back to the burger thing. All these pictures and descriptions (with Blackwater's possibly being the best description of all time), I'm REALLY hungry now. The best "fast" burger place around me now is 5 Guys and Culvers. Culvers is my choice but it's a gamble, sometimes good, sometimes...not so much. Regardless, the last thing I'm thinking about now is a healthy cheeseburger.

They were Manners Big Boy up here, a little south in Ohio they were Elias Bros. Big Boy. Their special sauce was what made them taste good.

They were Shoney’s Big Boy here and I remember Bob’s Big Boy but not where they were.

Shoney’s dropped the “Big Boy” several years ago.  They abandoned the drive in format and the carhops for a dine in buffet and as the quality faded, so did the franchises.  I don’t think there are any Shoney’s still operating.

The “drive in” and carhop theme made Big Boy the place for most of the social scene in the late ‘60s around here!!

21 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

They were Shoney’s Big Boy here and I remember Bob’s Big Boy but not where they were.

Shoney’s dropped the “Big Boy” several years ago.  They abandoned the drive in format and the carhops for a dine in buffet and as the quality faded, so did the franchises.  I don’t think there are any Shoney’s still operating.

The “drive in” and carhop theme made Big Boy the place for most of the social scene in the late ‘60s around here!!

I forgot we had Bobs Big Boy here too after Manners. Now there’s a couple around that are just Big Boy restaurants. Both are about 25-30 miles from me.

My biggest problem with ordering cheesburgers is the seeming inability for the restaurants to serve a CHEESEBURGER.

A cheeseburger is greasy MEAT and molten AMERICAN CHEESE on a NORMAL white bun.

Nothing else. 

Not on my bun (because, why on earth would I not want cold wet juices soaking into my bun.)

Not on the side - not in the kitchen or the same county.

Not rabbit food (yes, lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles are RABBIT food - I am a carnivore).

Not your "special sauce" (designed only to camouflage bad meat).

Not a designer bun covered in who knows what.

If someone wants to ADD all those items to their burger - more power to them; but I should not have to argue with you to get a plain cheeseburger and live with about a 50% failure rate to get it right.

And don't get me started on the abomination that are seasoned fries.

I remember Bob’s Big Boys in California. They’re out of business now. There is a restaurant in Redondo Beach, CA that was once a Big Boy. It still has a big concrete statue of the Big Boy out front. 

It’s big, but not this big. :D I just thought this was pretty darn funny. 

image.jpeg.8954f82ba245f2bf43fc2cc710016203.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

And Fatburger is 1000x better than In and Out.

In and Out fries are (Imo) made from styrofoam packing peanuts.

It’s obvious you have no taste. :P

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

They were Manners Big Boy up here, a little south in Ohio they were Elias Bros. Big Boy. Their special sauce was what made them taste good.

If I remember right, the "special sauce" was nothing more than tartar sauce.

1 hour ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

My biggest problem with ordering cheesburgers is the seeming inability for the restaurants to serve a CHEESEBURGER.

A cheeseburger is greasy MEAT and molten AMERICAN CHEESE on a NORMAL white bun.

Nothing else. 

Not on my bun (because, why on earth would I not want cold wet juices soaking into my bun.)

Not on the side - not in the kitchen or the same county.

Not rabbit food (yes, lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles are RABBIT food - I am a carnivore).

Not your "special sauce" (designed only to camouflage bad meat).

Not a designer bun covered in who knows what.

If someone wants to ADD all those items to their burger - more power to them; but I should not have to argue with you to get a plain cheeseburger and live with about a 50% failure rate to get it right.

And don't get me started on the abomination that are seasoned fries.

And I thought that I was the only one that ordered a Double Cheeseburger - Plain and you're right...about 50% of the time, the $15+ per hour employees can't get the damn order right.

1 hour ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I am a carnivore

Then why the bun?   I've never had a problem getting a burger to the way I wanted it.  "Two  plain burgers, jsut the meat and bun."  Or "Just the meat, cheese, and bun."  Never a problem.

About 30 years ago there was a Jack in the Box commercial, showed a test group evaluating some new double double.  One of the guys says, "But what's with the bun?"  The lady taking the responses says, "But without the bun your hands would be covered with meat and cheese!"  and gets a "Well, duh!" response.  Jack says, in his laconic voice, "Well, look into it."

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I had forgotten about the drive in format. The one I worked at had about 30 spaces and they always parked as far away from the building as they could. The girl that worked the drive in usually had nothing to do but prep onion rings and fight the seagulls to pick the trays up. One time the flying rats were almost attacking her to get to them. To this day, I dislike sea gulls.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I've never had a problem getting a burger to the way I wanted it.  "Two  plain burgers, jsut the meat and bun."  Or "Just the meat, cheese, and bun."  Never a problem.

Next time you're in Vegas; let me know - we can order the same thing and one of will get the wrong order. :huh:

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

And I thought that I was the only one that ordered a Double Cheeseburger - Plain and you're right...about 50% of the time, the $15+ per hour employees can't get the damn order right.

Same offer as Subdeacon - next time you're out this way - let me know.

But Las Vegas is desert as far as GOOD cheeseburgers go.

9 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Next time you're in Vegas; let me know - we can order the same thing and one of will get the wrong order. :huh:

I've been there once. 2003.  I don't see myself going again, but I appreciate the offer.

2 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Hopefully, the next time I am in Las Vegas, Nevada, HELL WILL HAVE FROZEN OVER!!

I despise that place!!

And I have no compunction with going back to the counter or seeing the manager if my order isn’t right!  I paid for it and I expect and demand that I get what I’m paying for!! (and don’t think for even a second that I won’t thoroughly examine the replacement in front of the manager)

In my earlier description of the great cheeseburger, I omitted two possibilities that could certainly add to the pleasure!!

If I am hungry, a double burger is not out of the question.  

Bacon, (properly cooked) makes any burger better!!

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

According to the news, 1000 Yankees are moving to Florida every day. 

I think we’re seeing about the same thing in middle Tennessee!! :angry:

10 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

No it was different, regular tartar sauce didn’t taste the same. They used to sell it in jars, it was different and really good .

10 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

36 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

No it was different, regular tartar sauce didn’t taste the same. They used to sell it in jars, it was different and really good .

Thousand Island salad dressing was the “go-to” secret sauce of many restaurants, including McDonalds Big Mac recipe, but they say it’s different “special sauce”.

Many of those “secret sauces” were mustard, ketchup, and mayonnaise, mixed in some set proportion with sweet pickle relish!

We experimented with various combinations of those ingredients and roughly duplicated the sauces from McDonalds and Big Boy when I was in high school.

We suspected that they were created by accident at the condiment station of some burger joint when they cleaned up a spill!  :lol:

7 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Many of those “secret sauces” were mustard, ketchup, and mayonnaise, mixed in some set proportion with sweet pickle relish!

We experimented with various combinations of those ingredients and roughly duplicated the sauces from McDonalds and Big Boy when I was in high school.

We suspected that they were created by accident at the condiment station of some burger joint when they cleaned up a spill!  :lol:

However they came up with Big Boy sauce it sure tasted good on that burger!

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy Pards

If you have the opportunity, DON’T pass up the opportunity for:

1. The fried-onion burger at either Johnny’s Grill or Bob’s Grill in El Reno, Oklahoma.

2. The green chile cheeseburger at The Owl Bar and Cafe in the tiny town of San Antonio, New Mexico.

Both worth a long detour if you’re even a long way from them.

Locally (El Paso),the green chile cheese burgers at Whataburger are hard to beat.

Keep on the sunny side!

Adios

Fort Reno Kid

On 3/2/2023 at 10:28 AM, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Healthiest cheeseburger -- I thing this deserves a little beating about the head and neck.

777.jpg

Healthy and cheeseburger don't really belong in the same sentence. On the other hand we all gotta die of something. I can think of worse ways to go.

JHC

laughing baby #2.gif

6 hours ago, bgavin said:

The healthy cheese burger for me, is a Carls lettuce wrap.
Messy as hell to eat, but very low carbs.

If you’re eating a cheeseburger for your health, you are probably recovering from a hunger strike!!  :o  :lol:

His and Hers super star with cheese is same price as a nice sit down meal at wonderful chinese with hot tea and fortune cookies.  Burger joints with their overpaid help and associated high prices aren’t high on our list anymore.  Breakfast at Denny’s is $37 with tip for two, so we stay home to eat mostly.  I’m a labile diabetic and get more friendly foods at home anyway.

On 3/11/2023 at 5:20 PM, Fort Reno Kid said:

Howdy Pards

If you have the opportunity, DON’T pass up the opportunity for:

1. The fried-onion burger at either Johnny’s Grill or Bob’s Grill in El Reno, Oklahoma.

2. The green chile cheeseburger at The Owl Bar and Cafe in the tiny town of San Antonio, New Mexico.

Both worth a long detour if you’re even a long way from them.

Locally (El Paso),the green chile cheese burgers at Whataburger are hard to beat.

Keep on the sunny side!

Adios

Fort Reno Kid

Tuckers isnt bad for onion burgers  (or wasnt  ) in Oklahoma as well as Meers OK for their pie plate sized Cheeseburger ,
I will agree on the Whataburger green chile cheeseburgers they are decent not a Sparkys or Blakes ( as they tend to use hotter chile ) but decent 

20 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Healthy and cheeseburger don't really belong in the same sentence.

Why not?   

Bread, meat, dairy, vegetables, sauce, fries. 

Compare to dinner roll, butter, side salad with dressing, small steak, baked potato with sour cream and salt & pepper.  

Archived