SASS Wire Forum

Shipping Long Guns

dahoney

What’s the least expensive way to ship long guns.   USPS, FedEx, UPS, ???

USPS Is the least expensive and easiest I have used. 

UPS no longer accepts firearms for shipment from individuals. Now they only accept firearms from FFLs.

@Cholla Knows of another method that is supposed to be easy. and inexpensive

https://www.shipmygun.com/go/

Follow the steps. The two drawbacks: You have to take the shipment to a UPS service center, not the UPS Store, not an agent such as Ace Hardware. And, if the receiving FFL isn't already registered with SMG, they have to submit their FFL data to SMG.

SMG is part of Bud's Gun Shop. They have an agreement with UPS that allows the gun to ship second day air. You do not need to go through an FFL on your end as Bud's is the FFL for the shipment. Once you receive the UPS label, you pack the gun, seal the package, slap the label on, and bring it to the UPS service center. DO NOT put anything on the exterior of the box stating it is a firearm. The firearm goes directly to the receiving FFL. Easier than it sounds.

I’ve always shipped long guns via USPS. 

Take stock off to make it shorter, and helps prevent breaking.

nothing on box saying it’s a gun. Just answer questions about liquids, flammable etc. don’t tell them it’s a gun.
I usually ship 10 lbs of gun in a box wrapped with 20 lbs of tape!  

I was just shipped a long gun from WA state, the FFL who shipped it said only FedEx was accepting firearm shipments as of a month ago and FedEx required 2nd Day Air.  Packed in a cardboard box containing a plastic gun case the firearm was received intact with no abuse to outside carton.  Pretty clear what was inside, as it was shipped from an FFL to an FFL, so pleased it arrived in a timely and safe fashion, cheap at twice the price.

If you ship a firearm via USPS, and you are not a USPS registered FFL licensed dealer, and the Postal Inspectors catch it, you will be arrested, fined, possibly jailed and have a felony on your record and not be able to own firearms or ammunition.

Is it worth it?

1 minute ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

If you ship a firearm via USPS, and you are not a USPS registered FFL licensed dealer, and the Postal Inspectors catch it, you will be arrested, fined, possibly jailed and have a felony on your record and not be able to own firearms or ammunition.

Is it worth it?

They had no issue shipping my '97 a couple years ago via USPS. They just told me enclose a copy of the recievers FFL and a copy of my driver's license. Maybe it's changed.

16 minutes ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Is it worth it?

Please show that regulation in their SOP's

From the ATF web site

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.

The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

27 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

From the ATF web site

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.

The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

See the part I Highlighted. Specifically the Underlined section

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service? 

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

Ok, but when I contacted USPS local stations, in two different states that I have lived in the past 18 years, they told me "guns" can only be shipped thru the USPS from FFL to FFL.  Guess it depends on which "over paid Federal employee"  you are dealing with.   How many of you have met the "Moe, Larry, and Curly"  of Federal employees?

1 hour ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Ok, but when I contacted USPS local stations, in two different states that I have lived in the past 18 years, they told me "guns" can only be shipped thru the USPS from FFL to FFL.  Guess it depends on which "over paid Federal employee"  you are dealing with.   How many of you have met the "Moe, Larry, and Curly"  of Federal employees?

That's why you always take a copy of the relevant regs with you.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

I’m a FFL holder and a rule follower (even before I had my FFL). I’m terrified to go to jail. Or lose my guns in the mail or because I violated the law. :wub: 

If you ship a gun (handgun, long gun) outside the regs and it’s LOST, you have no recourse. I’ve had many bullet shipments get lost/destroyed by USPS.  Filing a claim is a HUGE pain in the :ph34r: and there are many hoops to jump through to prove what was in package, value etc. I quit using USPS to ship altogether. 

However, if you ever find yourself in jail? I’ll send postcards. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

8 hours ago, Irish Dan O'Shootem said:

I've never sold or traded a gun.

Any thought of just giving me a couple. I'll even pay shipping. (FFL to FFL, of course. 

Archived