SASS Wire Forum

The problem with carrying a gun all the time

Alpo

58 minutes ago, Quiet Burp said:

Wow just how dangerous is America these days that you can't go for a moment out of your home without a gun and be ready to kill some attacker at all times?

Just watch the news, it only takes once, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

The permit allows you to carry a gun. Not stash one down in a hidey hole in your car somewhere.

Notice it does not say that you can have it under the seat or tucked down between your legs or underneath your thigh. They catch you with that they will arrest you.

Arizona has passed “Permitless Carry.” That means anyone who can legally own/possess a firearm and is 21 or older can carry it concealed without any type of permit/license.

In Arizona the law does not require you to inform an Officer you have a permit/license to carry if approached by that Officer on any type of official business.

This is from the website https://handgunlaw.us/ .  This site shows gun Laws from all 50 States. It directly quotes the Laws and shows the appropriate Statute. It is updated regularly

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

The permit allows you to carry a gun. Not stash one down in a hidey hole in your car somewhere.

But you absolutely have my permission to be the test case. B)

Now, Florida allows you to have "a loaded concealed firearm in your vehicle for self-defense, as long as it is not within ready access." They then go on to find what they mean by not within ready access. You can have it in the glove compartment, and they don't care whether it's locked or unlocked. They have decided that the center console qualifies as the glove compartment - this law was written back when cars still had bench seats, instead of two buckets with a console between them. You can have it snapped in a holster. I don't know whether kydex would qualify, because I've never seen a safety strap with a snap on a kydex holster. My fobus holster, however, makes a very distinct SNAP noise when you holster it, so maybe that would qualify. Or you can have it in a box with a lid. And for the purpose of this law the legislature has decided that a zippered gun rug qualifies as a box with a lid.

Notice it does not say that you can have it under the seat or tucked down between your legs or underneath your thigh. They catch you with that they will arrest you.

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

If you got the gun tucked down underneath your legs in your lap, the cop who comes to your door can't see it.

In most states it is also illegal to put it underneath the driver's seat. Same reason. The cop can't see it.

I have lots of questions.  If I understand correctly, you are saying that in FL WITH a concealed carry permit, you cannot carry your weapon between the bucket seats, under your leg, in the driver's door pocket, or a magnet under your dashboard because the cops can't see it there?  But, if you are carrying on your person in a shoulder holster or belt holster it's ok if it's concealed from the cops by your shirt or jacket?  Or, you could just leave it on top of your dash where the cop can see it?   I'm not saying that's not true, because there are some pretty stupid laws out there, but I cannot follow the logic.

Is that something you actually read in the law, or is that something you were told in a CCW class or by a Law Enforcement Officer?

What would be the charge?

I guess, in a stretch, I could, maybe, see it as some type of Improper Transportation of a Firearm violation, but that would be a real stretch.  Unless you've got a real NJ zealot type anti-gun prosecutor I don't see any charges being issued.

You do have me wondering, tho.

Angus

p.s.  I'm assuming the non-hi-lighted areas of your comment apply to persons who do not have a concealed carry permit.

2 hours ago, Quiet Burp said:

Used to love watching wholesome Happy Days, sad things must have changed greatly. Hope it goes back.

The bad areas used to be restricted to certain areas of large cities. Since the BLM movement and the rise of antifa there is NO WAY of predicting when or where you'll end up in a dangerous situation. Both groups have held protest in big cities and small rural towns here in TX.

Down south a group of protesters were blocking a city street. At least one of them was armed with a rifle. When a car was stopped by these idiots one of the protesters leveled a rifle at the car as he approached the passenger door. When he was even with the passenger door window he learned a very hard lesson. Never point a firearm at someone thinking that is enough to intimidate them.  Said gun toting protester caught 3 rounds in the chest before he had time to blink and was dead before he hit the ground.

Before BLM I just carried my CCW pistol. Since I watched a video of BLM protesters stop and then burn a trailer of show horses to death while dragging the couple driving the pickup pulling said horse trailer out into the street and beat them badly enough that they spent several days in the hospital; I carry considerable more firepower in my vehicle if I am traveling out of town. 

Suffice it to say if anyone thinks they'll remove me or my loved ones from a vehicle by force they better bring extra body bags.

2 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The bad areas used to be restricted to certain areas of large cities. Since the BLM movement and the rise of antifa there is NO WAY of predicting when or where you'll end up in a dangerous situation. Both groups have held protest in big cities and small rural towns here in TX.

Down south a group of protesters were blocking a city street. At least one of them was armed with a rifle. When an approaching was stopped by these idiots one of the protesters leveled a rifle at the car as he approached the passenger door. When he was even with the passenger door window he learned a very hard lesson. Never point a firearm at someone thinking that is enough to intimidate them.  Said gun toting protester caught 3 rounds in the chest before he had time to blink and was dead before he hit the ground.

Before BLM I just carried my CCW pistol. Since I watched a video of BLM protesters stop and then burn a trailer of show horses to death while dragging the couple driving the pickup pulling said horse trailer out into the street and beet them badly enough that they spent several days in the hospital; I carry considerable more firepower in my vehicle if I am traveling out of town. 

Suffice it to say if anyone thinks they'll remove me or my loved ones from a vehicle by force they better bring extra body bags.

But, but, but, the BLM protests were peaceful.:angry:

That horse story is horrible.

1 hour ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

I have lots of questions.  If I understand correctly, you are saying that in FL WITH a concealed carry permit, you cannot carry your weapon between the bucket seats, under your leg, in the driver's door pocket, or a magnet under your dashboard because the cops can't see it there?  But, if you are carrying on your person in a shoulder holster or belt holster it's ok if it's concealed from the cops by your shirt or jacket?  Or, you could just leave it on top of your dash where the cop can see it?   I'm not saying that's not true, because there are some pretty stupid laws out there, but I cannot follow the logic.

Is that something you actually read in the law, or is that something you were told in a CCW class or by a Law Enforcement Officer?

What would be the charge?

I guess, in a stretch, I could, maybe, see it as some type of Improper Transportation of a Firearm violation, but that would be a real stretch.  Unless you've got a real NJ zealot type anti-gun prosecutor I don't see any charges being issued.

You do have me wondering, tho.

Angus

p.s.  I'm assuming the non-hi-lighted areas of your comment apply to persons who do not have a concealed carry permit.

In Florida WITHOUT a CWP, a gun in a vehicle must be "securely encased". "Securely encased" is the key word. I've heard many people state that it must take three moves to retrieve the gun, this is completely incorrect. A zipper type case, glove box, center console, hasp type case and the like qualifies. Inside a Seagrams bag, under a towel somewhere, in a cubby hole, in between the seats (unless it's securely encased), under your leg/butt, under the seat and places like that are NOT permissible. Open carry, with very few exceptions, is not permissible. On top of the dashboard? No, unless you want every cop within 5 miles pointing guns at you and ordering you out of the vehicle.

In Florida WITH a CWP, you can basically carry your gun (in a motor vehicle) wherever/however you would like..as long as it's concealed. Concealed is the key word. This includes the Seagrams bag, towel, cubby hole and other places...as long as it's concealed and you are not in a prohibited place, you're good to go. There are many prohibited places, I'm not going to list them all, but you can look them up on the internet under Florida gun laws.

For people traveling to Florida that plan on carrying a handgun concealed or otherwise, I suggest buying or reading the book Florida Firearms, Law, Use & Ownership by Jon Gutmacher. Although Florida is a very firearm friendly state, there are a few counties that aren't. You can't obey the law if you don't know what the laws are.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Down south a group of protesters were blocking a city street. At least one of them was armed with a rifle. When a car was stopped by these idiots one of the protesters leveled a rifle at the car as he approached the passenger door. When he was even with the passenger door window he learned a very hard lesson. Never point a firearm at someone thinking that is enough to intimidate them.  Said gun toting protester caught 3 rounds in the chest before he had time to blink and was dead before he hit the ground.

Before BLM I just carried my CCW pistol. Since I watched a video of BLM protesters stop and then burn a trailer of show horses to death while dragging the couple driving the pickup pulling said horse trailer out into the street and beat them badly enough that they spent several days in the hospital; I carry considerable more firepower in my vehicle if I am traveling out of town. 

Same here concerning the firepower. For me, it was watching Reginald Denny get the $hit kicked out of him during the LA/Rodney King riots.

13 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Arizona has passed “Permitless Carry.” That means anyone who can legally own/possess a firearm and is 21 or older can carry it concealed without any type of permit/license.

In Arizona the law does not require you to inform an Officer you have a permit/license to carry if approached by that Officer on any type of official business.

This is from the website https://handgunlaw.us/ .  This site shows gun Laws from all 50 States. It directly quotes the Laws and shows the appropriate Statute. It is updated regularly

Ohio has the same exact law. We can still opt to GET a permit which will be valid in states that recognized our CCW permits but might not necessarily recognize our Constitutional Carry. 

12 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

In Florida WITHOUT a CWP, a gun in a vehicle must be "securely encased". "Securely encased" is the key word. I've heard many people state that it must take three moves to retrieve the gun, this is completely incorrect. A zipper type case, glove box, center console, hasp type case and the like qualifies. Inside a Seagrams bag, under a towel somewhere, in a cubby hole, in between the seats (unless it's securely encased), under your leg/butt, under the seat and places like that are NOT permissible. Open carry, with very few exceptions, is not permissible. On top of the dashboard? No, unless you want every cop within 5 miles pointing guns at you and ordering you out of the vehicle.

In Florida WITH a CWP, you can basically carry your gun (in a motor vehicle) wherever/however you would like..as long as it's concealed. Concealed is the key word. This includes the Seagrams bag, towel, cubby hole and other places...as long as it's concealed and you are not in a prohibited place, you're good to go. There are many prohibited places, I'm not going to list them all, but you can look them up on the internet under Florida gun laws.

For people traveling to Florida that plan on carrying a handgun concealed or otherwise, I suggest buying or reading the book Florida Firearms, Law, Use & Ownership by Jon Gutmacher. Although Florida is a very firearm friendly state, there are a few counties that aren't. You can't obey the law if you don't know what the laws are.

Thanks.  That makes much more sense.  Apparently I did not understand Alpo's post correctly.

Yeah, the comment about putting a gun on your dashboard was a joke.  :D  It's only in Texas where you're supposed to do that.  It identifies you as a native Texan.  :D   (That's a joke, too :P)  

On 11/5/2022 at 3:50 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

It is Australia, I've never felt the need ever to be armed.

Honestly, how many Aussies would want the population packin' heat?

I don't really care what other Aussies think...if I could I would have a pistol with me at all times & if those that wished  to did the same then I would have no problem.

An armed society is a safer enviroment & I will 'NEVER trust ANY Government thats  aim is  to disarm it's own citizens.

On 11/5/2022 at 5:51 PM, Eyesa Horg said:

Just watch the news, it only takes once, unfortunately.

as noted , its not about how dangerous the country is in general , we are a relatively safe country overall , its all about that "moment in time" , 

my folks were robbed in itally , and in france , in tourist areas with a tour group ,  treated well in england , scotland and austrailia but again - its all about that moment in time , 

I had to go to WallyWorld yesterday to pick up some of my meds.  One of the ladies at the pharmacy counter got her GED through classes taken from my wife.  She asked how I was doing and I replied, “Can’t complain! Don’t do no good!”

The lady waiting on me laughed and said something about if I complained folks ought to listen ‘cause I carry a gun and then asked if I had ever had to use it.

I explained that I had used it to thwart two robberies, but had never fired it at anyone.  Then I told her that the police had no obligation to protect the individual citizen and that that was the responsibility of each one of us to ourselves and others.

Several people who were standing close by were shocked, but another man stated that the SCOTUS had said so too and two or three other people commented favorably on my carrying as I paid for my meds and left.

Felt pretty good!!

On 11/5/2022 at 5:52 PM, Quiet Burp said:

Wow just how dangerous is America these days that you can't go for a moment out of your home without a gun and be ready to kill some attacker at all times?

Prior law enforcement here.

I keep up on FBI stats and local crime stats, and I've also learned (the hard way) that when you put someone in prison, they don't forget.

They don't forgive.

Neither do their associates.

Nor their families.

Evil can strike anytime, anywhere, and sadly, it does exactly that.

25 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

said something about if I complained folks ought to listen ‘cause I carry a gun

Openly?

Just wondering how she knew you carry one.

2 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Openly?

YES!!!  I usually carry openly.  My daily mode of dress is jeans and a T-shirt.  I seldom wear a coat or jacket and I keep my shirt tucked in because I am often around open machinery.

I was once severely injured when I got tangled in a tractor driven post hole digger.  I have no intention of that ever happening again. I don’t react to cold weather the way most folks do, so this is my winter clothes too.

More folks around here are now open carrying and it’s becoming much more common to receive positive comments for doing so.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Openly?

I carry openly. I am constantly praised for doing so. Almost every time I'm out and about, somebody will compliment me on it. Some go as far as to thank me for doing so. I've even had people tell me they feel safer because of it.

Archived