SASS Wire Forum

Landrun banquet

Hells Comin

30 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

The signup for tables ahead of time was very useful.

Only way to go. Really made it nice.

In my opinion. It's the best banquet in SASS. 

Of course, I have not been to them all. But this would be hard to beat.  

21 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

The signup for tables ahead of time was very useful.

In theory.  

Wife and I was the 8th and 9th person assigned to table 31.  When we arrived to take our "assigned" seats there was no empty chairs.  Folks already seated told us that they sort of combined two tables into one.  So we went to table 32 that was half empty only to be told by those present that those seats were reserved.  

So while the wife waited I went to find the Official in charge of the tables.  As I was explaining to the Official the problem another cowpoke arrived with the same problem.  Official lead us to several other tables that had empty seats only to be told they were in use.  We ended up sitting at the table reserved for "Match Officials Only".

image.thumb.jpeg.7d206b4a7937a7da9f5cd8cd0fee58bd.jpeg

11 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

In theory.  

Wife and I was the 8th and 9th person assigned to table 31.  When we arrived to take our "assigned" seats there was no empty chairs.  Folks already seated told us that they sort of combined two tables into one.  So we went to table 32 that was half empty only to be told by those present that those seats were reserved.  

So while the wife waited I went to find the Official in charge of the tables.  As I was explaining to the Official the problem another cowpoke arrived with the same problem.  Official lead us to several other tables that had empty seats only to be told they were in use.  We ended up sitting at the table reserved for "Match Officials Only".

image.thumb.jpeg.7d206b4a7937a7da9f5cd8cd0fee58bd.jpeg

This was at least partly my fault. There was some confusion. I apologize to all. 

11 hours ago, Hoss said:

This was at least partly my fault. There was some confusion. I apologize to all. 

It all worked out in the end.  When the wife saw the food the seating confusion was the last thing on her mind.  

1 hour ago, Matthew Duncan said:

It all worked out in the end.  When the wife saw the food the seating confusion was the last thing on her mind.  

The food has always been top notch at Land Run. A great dinner with exceptional deserts. This dinner banquet food quality was no different.

Many people were signed up for one table and then ended up sitting at another. A few were signed up for more than one table by "friends" trying to help out.

Even two that asked me to sign them up to a specific table ended up sitting at another!

I never signed up for a table but was on at least two lists… I corrected the situation…I think that folks ought to only sign up for friends THAT know they’re being signed up… 

I KNOW this will never happen in a million years so don’t fuss at me!

I would love to walk in to a banquet and be told I’m at table #11 or 43… and have no idea with whom I’m going to dine! I get that friend groups like to shoot together… sit together but I like to meet new folks… 

Hugs! 
Scarlett

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

I never signed up for a table but was on at least two lists… I corrected the situation…I think that folks ought to only sign up for friends THAT know they’re being signed up… 

I would love to walk in to a banquet and be told I’m at table #11 or 43… and have no idea with whom I’m going to dine! I get that friend groups like to shoot together… sit together but I like to meet new folks… 

Hugs! 
Scarlett

that might be better than sitting with the same folks that we shoot with all the time! 

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

that might be better than sitting with the same folks that we shoot with all the time! 

Personally, I like mixing it up, a few you know and a few you don't.

It is also good to have your friends within a table or two away though, so you can congratulate them when "they" win awards.

13 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Hugs! 
Scarlett

This is how Ellie & I felt when we used to go to Harley Dresser rallys. If wanted to sit with a couple we'd been riding with all day, we'd just get there with them when the doors opened. Then whomever joined our table was welcome and we got to know more of the folks there.

Never mind

I am a volunteer at the National Cowboy Museum where the banquet was held. I attend the Western Heritage Awards banquet each year which is in April unless there is a pandemic, and its much bigger than the Landrun banquet. The folks that serve those dinners are really really good at what they do and the food is always excellent.  At Western Heritage Awards people sponsor an entire table so your group gets your table assignment when you check in for the banquet. It always works very well. 

On 10/18/2022 at 11:12 AM, Hells Comin said:

Did they forget something we weren't there very long!

Hells Comin 

The rules are you have to out by a certain time, always been that way. Still the best venue ever.

Archived