SASS Wire Forum

I admit I never read Lord of the Rings

Utah Bob #35998

I was more into the Syfy genre of Wells, Verne, Heinlein, Burroughs, Asimov etc, but I did do some fantasy/magic series. I have enjoyed the Rings film series.
I just started the new Amazon series and I have learned one thing. Elves wear pointy boots so they can do ice climbing. 

As Spock would say, “Fascinating”.

I read Bored of the Rings, by the Harvard Lampoon, but I too have never read the original.

Oh the shame. Alas and alak. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

21 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I was more into the Syfy genre of Wells, Verne, Heinlein, Burroughs, Asimov etc, but I did do some fantasy/magic series. I have enjoyed the Rings film series.
I just started the new Amazon series and I have learned one thing. Elves wear pointy boots so they can do ice climbing. 

Read the books a long time ago, and every few winters when we got snowed in I'd spend a few days re-reading them. 

Tried the Silmarillion without too much luck, not really interesting to me.

The movies were spectacular, and I plan to do them again in a marathon.

The new show has me pausing, I prefer to stay to the story line / universe that Tolkien created, and I

bristle when producers introduce extraneous feel good BS for the sake of virtue signalling, but if the

story is really well done otherwise I might make exception.  I'm waiting on the read out from others

who I know have my tastes in movies.

We shall see . . .

SC

I never read the LOTR books until after I saw the movies, which were great. Then I did and I liked them quite a bit. 

I too was an SF fan in youth, and still am to some degree. I grew up on the Burroughs books in the early '60s, hitting the old bookstores for the McClure and Grosset & Dunlop volumes, before the Ace reprints began to come out.

I also read all of the 'golden age' SF writers, but my favorite was, and is, Jack Vance. He always avoided publicity, and when the internet came along in about 1999 for the masses, I looked him up, not knowing whether or not he was still alive. He was, in his late 80s, and a few months later I was having dinner with him in Oakland.

I became part of an international group of his fans that produced the Vance Integral Edition, a limited-edition, fully edited, 44-volume collection of all of his works. He died at 96 in 2013.

I still read a certain amount of SF now and then, but not like in the old days...

I've read Lord of the Rings more times than I can count.  The book does start out somewhat slowly but does pick up the pace by the time the hobbits get to Rivendell.

I've watched the first episodes of the Rings of Power.  Visually it's outstanding, every bit as good as the Lord of the Rings.  The producers are laying a lot of the foundation for the next five seasons, so the first two episodes have been a little slow.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the season to see where they take the multiple story lines and the introduction of the various important characters  of the Second Age of Middle Earth.

I've also read many of the great science fiction authors, especially Heinlein, Pournelle, Niven and H. Beam Piper.  While I still read science fiction, it's become rare to find modern authors as good as Heinlein, Pournelle, Niven and H. Beam Piper.

I was assigned to read LOTR my senior year in HS.  I read the first chapter, and told the teacher I didn't care to read it because "I quit reading fairy tales when I was 10".  She failed me for that grade period (my only failing grade in HS).  

This was shortly after my discovery of Louis L'Amour, Lewis B. Patten, Will Henry and Luke Short.  I was in the throws of western novels.  I earlier had read Isaac Asimov pretty thoroughly, and loved it.  

To this day, I haven't read the LOTR books, nor watched the movies.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I fell asleep right away...but did see the ice wall climb.

Seriously, read the books.

(Never could read the Similarian)

I won't be watching any of Amazon's The Rings of Prime.  I think what bothers me most is that it was released on the anniversary of Tolkien's  death.  They changed his work for their profit and agenda, then release if on the day he died.    

Farnham's Freehold and The HAB Theory are two of the best SF stories ever written.

Some college professor kidnapped The HAB Theory and got it declared a "text book" for his classes and the price went tight out through the roof.  I still have my fourth or fifth book, all battle worn and thread bare.  The first ones got "read to death" as my dad put it.

Other favorites are the first of the Deathworld Series, Ringworld, John Carter of Mars, and 20,000 leagues Under The Sea (and the original movie wasn't half bad, either.)

There are a whole passel of others but these are the ones I keep Falling back on.

Just ran over to Amazon and order a used copy of The HAB Theory.

It's time to read it again.  First time I was in the Salt Lake airport waiting to pick up a couple of friends coming home for Christmas and I didn't get it finished.  Spring vacation I read it again all the way through, did some research on some of the "facts" in story and got the bejabbers scared out of me.  Much of The fiction in his story is FACT.

I read them all in the mid 80’s. I was very much into Stephen King at the time but needed a break from nightmarish creatures and psychos showing up in my dreams. 
I traded scary clowns for elf and troll-like entities. :lol:

I haven’t seen a Lord if the Rings movie. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I read them all in the mid 80’s. I was very much into Stephen King at the time but needed a break from nightmarish creatures and psychos showing up in my dreams. 
I traded scary clowns for elf and troll-like entities. :lol:

I haven’t seen a Lord if the Rings movie. 

Pat...I was very skeptical about the movies.

The LOTR is better in my opinion...the Hobbit Trilogy has too much comic relief instilled...but still very good.

I can watch LOTR over and over!!!

5 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Just ran over to Amazon and order a used copy of The HAB Theory.

It's time to read it again.  First time I was in the Salt Lake airport waiting to pick up a couple of friends coming home for Christmas and I didn't get it finished.  Spring vacation I read it again all the way through, did some research on some of the "facts" in story and got the bejabbers scared out of me.  Much of The fiction in his story is FACT.

I learned in Police Interrogation that the best lie contains some element of truth, and so it is with well written fiction.
I've told other writers, "My readers may not know the difference between a Colt 1911 and a Colt 1911A1, but they know bul ... bull ... bulloney when they read it!"

I watch movies to be entertained. That’s all. :)

Archived