SASS Wire Forum

SCORRRRRRE

Yesterday, whilst talking to a fellow shooter about a caplock rifle he is selling another shooter indicated that he had a flintlock kit rifle that he was getting rid of.

Turns out that he had it with him : a CVA kit that had never been assembled still in what was left of it's box.

The nice Gentleman offered it to me free of charge (just to get rid of it), but I managed to barter the price down to $50, ..... I gotta sleep at night ;)

Straight around to my club armourer and got it registered into my name ... $30. :)

Now all I gotta do is assemble it, after doing something about the rust it has accumulated. ...... hope it's all there.

It's a CVA Mountain Rifle kit #KA 717 .45 flintlock

......... got any flints?  ..... and what size does one need ?  :huh:

Congratulations! :)

I can’t answer your question, but I hope you get it up and running with little trouble. 

I found this on the Muzzle Loading Forum:  CVA MR barrels "...The land to land measurement is .492 while the groove to groove is .507 on the .50 caliber whereas on the .45 caliber, the land to land is .442 and the groove to groove is .460..."

The above came up on a thread under "CVA Mountain Rifle Specs"

1 minute ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

I found this on the Muzzle Loading Forum:  CVA MR barrels "...The land to land measurement is .492 while the groove to groove is .507 on the .50 caliber whereas on the .45 caliber, the land to land is .442 and the groove to groove is .460..."

Thank you .... book and box(what's left of it) both say 440 round ball ......   :)

Check track of the wolf and smoke and fire websites.

0000 steel wool will knock down the rust. You can boil it to turn iron oxide black.

7 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Where's the photos??????????

5 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Didn't Happen !

No Photos

Jabez Cowboy

....... bring your camera .......   :P

Just now, largo casey #19191 said:

The 440 round ball is probably with a patch.

Largo

yes

book tells almost everything except what size flint ...   :huh:

Y'all gotta register flintlocks???   :huh:

What's next... rocks, sticks, and cricket bats?   :(

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Y'all gotta register flintlocks???   :huh:

What's next... rocks, sticks, and cricket bats?   :(

"They" have now banned 'Zombie Knives' ......I don't even 100% know what a Zombie knife even is.

@Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

"They" have now banned 'Zombie Knives' ......I don't even 100% know what a Zombie knife even is.

@Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967

That's all right. If your lawmakers are anything like our lawmakers, they don't know what a zombie knife is either.

Doesn't stop them from outlawing it though.

Added: that brilliant congresswoman who explained that a barrel shroud (that she had just voted to outlaw) was "that shoulder thing that goes up".

Wobbly,

I just bought a Pedersoli Jager flintlock and I have quite a bit of kit including flints (you know me, all the gear and no idea).

You can get just about all the gear you need from the Pedersoli Australia site ( https://www.pedersoliaustralia.com.au/ ) inc flints, wads, patches, etc. I also have a link to the recommended loads for Pedersoli guns which should give you a starting point for yours ( https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/storage/app/uploads/public/602/248/bde/602248bde0279108526447.pdf )

With your flint just measure the flash pan and make sure your flint is no wider than the size of the flash pan otherwise you will be scratching your barrel or chipping your flint on the side of the flash pan (depends on how far your flint sticks out from the jaws of the hammer).

Happy to help if you have questions as I am pretty sure I have already made all the mistakes you can:(

Also happy to send you sample packs so you can try different things before committing to a big buy. 

4 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

Wobbly,

I just bought a Pedersoli Jager flintlock and I have quite a bit of kit including flints (you know me, all the gear and no idea).

You can get just about all the gear you need from the Pedersoli Australia site ( https://www.pedersoliaustralia.com.au/ ) inc flints, wads, patches, etc. I also have a link to the recommended loads for Pedersoli guns which should give you a starting point for yours ( https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/storage/app/uploads/public/602/248/bde/602248bde0279108526447.pdf )

With your flint just measure the flash pan and make sure your flint is no wider than the size of the flash pan otherwise you will be scratching your barrel or chipping your flint on the side of the flash pan (depends on how far your flint sticks out from the jaws of the hammer).

Happy to help if you have questions as I am pretty sure I have already made all the mistakes you can:(

Also happy to send you sample packs so you can try different things before committing to a big buy. 

Dont forget the leather strip to grip the flint in the hammer jaws.  This gives a better grip on the flint when you tighten it up but also gives a cushion to the flint itself.

19 minutes ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

. I guess since I live in America the idea the police can change legislation is pretty weird

It shouldn't be. Let me direct your attention to the bureau of alcohol tobacco and firearms, and how they change gun laws at will.

1 hour ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

Dont forget the leather strip to grip the flint in the hammer jaws.  This gives a better grip on the flint when you tighten it up but also gives a cushion to the flint itself.

Or you can use a lead round ball hammered flat. The lead grips surprisingly well.

If you cast your own round balls it needs to be pure lead without hardener 

9 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Did someone demand pictures ? :P

16462897202061414202695.jpg

16462897760201856988445.jpg

1646289811133-1589134133.jpg

I've got a couple flints that I'll never use but shipping from US to Australia is gotta be outrageous no??? You can have them just pay shipping!

I'll take a picture PM me 

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I've got a couple flints that I'll never use but shipping from US to Australia is gotta be outrageous no??? You can have them just pay shipping!

I'll take a picture PM me 

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

These are about 3/4" almost square

IMG_2843.jpg

Thanks for your very generous offer, but these are available here and probably less than the shipping cost.

I do appreciate it, but would ask that you consider offering it to someone within your shores.  :wub:

6 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Or you can use a lead round ball hammered flat. The lead grips surprisingly well.

If you cast your own round balls it needs to be pure lead without hardener 

My two flintlocks came with lead flint grips and I find they work well too.

You can get them from Pedersoli Australia.

7 hours ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

The New South Wales POLICE amended the Weapons Prohibition Act of 1998. This is a Zombie knife . I guess since I live in America the idea the police can change

akaurz4mcvfebi7nbx7f4ptuby.jpg

legislation is pretty weird

They cant change the law.

They can use the current law and advise when new items on the market are not in accordance with the law.

Our knife laws say no double edged blades and there is some technicalities around saw tooth back blades. This announcement would be a classification of this type of blade in light of the current laws.

Of course they can also make recommendations to the lawmakers through their Minister.

There are laws and there are regulations.

Laws are made be Parliament and contain regulations.

Laws can only be made by, or changed by Parliament.

Regulations are at the mercy of the authority in charge of administering the laws and can be changed/altered/adjusted/ignored for any reason at that authority's whim ...   :(

Archived