SASS Wire Forum

russian tank quality

Trigger Mike

i recall russian tanks really sucked.  when we went against them in 1991 in iraq we could see them at night long before they could see us.  if the driver made a wrong move while the turret was turning, he'd likely lose a body part.  how are they these days?

3 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

i recall russian tanks really sucked.  when we went against them in 1991 in iraq we could see them at night long before they could see us.  if the driver made a wrong move while the turret was turning, he'd likely lose a body part.  how are they these days?

Well lets just say Iraq Had Junk , Russia sold them those to fund the T14 The M1 of ours may have been top in 91 but now after 20 years of war a Limited funding from Congress we still have those same tanks now add 30 years to them .

one other factor is the individual soldier manning that tank.  in the old days, initiative was encouraged, now that they have discharged those who refused to get the vaccine, they are left with order followers who do not think for themselves.  

Mixed:  Here is a breakdown of what is currently in service:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_Russian_Ground_Forces#Vehicles

375 T-90's, 450 T-80's and 2000+ T-72's remain in service.  None are "new" designs, merely updated and improved versions of prior tank designs.

As for the T-14 ARMATA, the production run has been limited to 100 tanks and there are no plans to construct any more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-14_Armata

My opinion is that either the T-14 isn't nearly as good as advertised or that Russia can't afford to make anymore.

While the M1 Abrams has been in service since 1980,  it too has been updated numerous times

Tanks, like most military equipment, has reached a point where mechanically there is little that can be done to significantly improve them.  Most improvements are in the electronics and computers.

In a roughly equally sized battle between American and Russian tanks I think the American tanks retain a significant advantage over the Russian crews in training and equipment.  Of course getting an armored division from the United States to Europe would probably take weeks.  There is a four brigade equipment set located in Europe.  Hopefully it is for an armored division.

11 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

one other factor is the individual soldier manning that tank.  in the old days, initiative was encouraged, now that they have discharged those who refused to get the vaccine, they are left with order followers who do not think for themselves.  

That’s a bit of a stretch I think. 

5 hours ago, Chantry said:

Tanks, like most military equipment, has reached a point where mechanically there is little that can be done to significantly improve them.  Mot improvements are in the electronics and computers.

Exactly, which is why the 1970s vintage F-16s and A-10s are still flying. The only things that have improved in the last 50 years is avionics and ordnance, both of which are easily retrofitted to older airframes.

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Speaking of "tanks"...how about that "flying tank", the one with the 30mm Gatling gun? I know. I know. The bomber/fighter generals in blue suits would like to get rid of them, but smarter heads have prevailed...at least for now! B)

That's the previously mentioned A-10 Warthog.

A-10 Afghanistan refuel

‘If the A-10 can’t kill a modern tank with its gun, can we just put a bigger gun on it?’ Former Hog pilot says: 'No.' Here’s why.

The most obsolete part of the M1 Abrams is its' prime mover.  The Honeywell AGT1500C gas turbine was the only prime mover at the time of development that meet the power & physical size required to meet the design performance requirements.  In the time since, compression ignition (diesel) engine meet the power to size requirements.  The problem even with recuperated gas turbines like the AGT1500C is they are fuelish.  When stationary having to fire up the turbine to charge the batteries sucks up mass quantities of JP8.   They are in the process of adding a very compact 9kW APU with a Hatz single cylinder diesel engine to charge batteries & operate electric powered systems.  See the article at www.dieselprogress.com/news/The-Abrams-Gets-An-APU/5031881.article

9 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

That’s a bit of a stretch I think. 

I wouldnt Go that far I just saw numbers of GOMARS issued this week In one Battalion , The published Numbers by Military are not even close if the percent I saw is military wide they say a few thousand  try more ,  These will be discharged 1 July ,. Army is trying to bring invol seps back as well as any OTH's they are hurting . Just like that 30 year old equipment that saw 20 in war and cant afford to keep up .
 Just to give you another view they recently deactivated one of my old units , rather then continue to serve 4 retired  in one squadron , thats 87 years of total service and how many combat tours  and well decorated men .

Archived